Active Topics

Poll: How much would you be willing to pay for a Neo900 (complete device) with TI DM3730 1GHz/512M-RAM/1GB
Poll Options
How much would you be willing to pay for a Neo900 (complete device) with TI DM3730 1GHz/512M-RAM/1GB

Posts: 32 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Athens
I'm so happy to be a part of this project!
Huge-huge THANK YOU, to every single one of you for the effort, hard work and commitment, keeping it alive!
Got my voucher already but i'll have to wait till the end of the month to top up the down payment for a complete Neo900, as i spent 1k+ for a new laptop last month.

Even N900 is not a "cutting edge" device but a cutting edge device can only dream of an N900's capabilities.

Can't wait to get my hands on Neo900!

Cheers

Nikos ( :

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to koznj For This Useful Post:
Woo! I just put a down payment on a complete device!

This feels like a dream come true. I hope for and wish good will to joerg, dos, heck even endsor :P This will be a fantastic achievement, keep going guys!

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to mikegioia For This Useful Post:
Posts: 634 | Thanked: 3,266 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Colombia
Hi Jörg,

Sorry to be a pest but I have a few questions...

When I create an account on neo900.org, do I need to use the same email address I used when I placed my original donation? The reason I ask is that I originally created a "goldelico" email alias for my domain when I placed my original donation which now seems somewhat inappropriate so I'd now like to create a new email alias for Neo900 UG.

I understand that one of the features the PLS8-X offers over the modem variants is "Automatic Carrier Switching". Do you know anything about this feature? I'm guessing that it requires dual SIM cards and is therefore irrelevant on the Neo900.

I noticed that the datasheet lists an LTE-only modem variant (PLS8-V). Will this also be an available option for the Neo900?

I also noticed the the maximum download/upload speed for EDGE is 237kbps. Does that imply that EDGE+ (1Mbps DL/400kbps UL) is not supported or is it possible that it simply hasn't been taken it into account on the datasheet?

Will you be testing that the M2M functionality works properly without interference from the modem sandbox? I ask this as M2M hasn't been advertised as a Neo900 feature even though the modem provides it.

Is there anywhere I can read up on the M2M functionality of the modem? I'd be interested to know exactly what it offers. Does it act as an M2M Gateway or an end device with sensors/actuators?

Cheers.

Maemo Leste for N950 and N9 (currently broken).
Devuan for N950 and N9.

Mobile devices with mainline Linux support - Help needed with documentation.

"Those who do not understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." - Henry Spencer

Last edited by wicket; 2015-05-19 at 07:19.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to wicket For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,139 | Thanked: 8,156 times | Joined on Feb 2013 @ From my Gabriola Island hermitage, near the Edge of the World
@mikegioia ...
you are soooo not coming to my sweet sixteen.
Ah but with all the love in the air ..
I won't take you off the birthday party list..
as long as you bring the bouncy-castle...
it ain't a B-day party without one..
gotta have a bouncy-castle.

'nuff of all the witty bantererering

I changed my order...
I couldn't stand it.
I want that PXS8 bad
so bad
so very..very..very-very...bad.
the specs made me drool from the beginning ..
when it was initially announced as one of the potential options..

one of the things that nailed the lid on that coffin was watching the guys chat about it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnFe1OtYSZ4

Owner of :
1-n770 (in retirement), 3-n800's / 3-n810's (still in daily use), 5-n900's ((3 are flawless, 1 loose usb ( parts), 1 has no telephony (parts))
3-nexus 5's : 1 w/ Floko Pie 9.1 (running beautifully) waiting for Stable Droid 10 rom, 1 w/ ̶Ubuntu Touch, 1 with Maru OS (intend maemo leste when ready)

1/2 - neo900 pre- "purchased" in 2013. N̶o̶w̶ ̶A̶w̶a̶i̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶r̶e̶f̶u̶n̶d̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶c̶e̶s̶s̶ ̶l̶a̶s̶t̶ ̶f̶e̶w̶ ̶y̶e̶a̶r̶s̶ - neo900 start up declared officially dead -
Lost invested funds.

PIMP MY N8X0 (Idiot's Guide and a video walkthrough)http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94294
THE LOST GRONMAYER CATALOGShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ight=gronmayer
N8X0 VIDEO ENCODING THE EASY WAYhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ght=mediacoder
242gb ON N800http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=90634
THE PAIN-FREE MAEMO DEVELOPMENT LIVE DISTRO-ISO FOR THE NOOB TO THE PROhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=95567
AFFORDABLE MASS PRODUCTION FOR MAEMO PARTShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=93325

Meateo balloons now available @ Dave999's Meateo Emporium

Last edited by endsormeans; 2015-05-19 at 08:12.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to endsormeans For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France
The evolution of the currency rates is really unfortunate. It will be very hard for me to pay for a Neo990, that's about twice what I was willing to pay for it. I'm not a developper, I'm just a guy who loved the N900, and I'm afraid I wouldn't need a Neo900 or, worse, that it wouldn't be a good smartphone for my needs (just to be clear, N900 and Maemo perfectly fulfilled my needs).

But anyway, I'm trying hard to convince myself and make a down payment. Apart from this first hard decision, and that of whether I should get a complete Neo900 or just the board to put in one of my old N900s, I have a few questions. They probably have been asked already, and/or are naive, but this thread has been fairly active lately and I can't catch up with all the unread pages (though I was kind of remotely following the thread until recently).

- I'm not comfortable with choosing the modem variant. I don't even fully understand the criteria that are used to differentiate them in the shop, which is not a good sign. The technical sheets are Chinese to me. Any help would be much appreciated! If it helps, I live in Europe, but if the price is the same for worldwide connection (including Europe), then I'd surely prefer it, as I happen to travel for work, sometimes.
- Is the "End of 2015" ETA a safe estimation? It doesn't need to be very accurate, but I'd like to know if huge delays should still be expected or, conversely, if the main barriers before production have already been passed (except funding, of course).
- Will the Neo900's USB port be more reliable/solid than the N900's?
- I seem to recall that Maemo 5 compatibility would be guaranteed (though I do like the Debian plan too), but I don't find it in the FAQ anymore. Has this goal been discarded?
- What exactly is a down payment? Excuse me but I'm not a native speaker and I'm not quite sure what it corresponds to. If I pay 350€ now (minus the voucher), will I need to pay 640€ later (provided that the price stabilizes at about 990€), or is that just a preorder confirmation worth 350€ but paid only at a later point when the device is available (990€ payment at the end, or 350€ loss in case I leave the ship)?
- Is there a deadline for making the down payment, before the shop is closed/the voucher expires/the expected stock of boards or Neo900s runs low?

Thanks for your answers.

P.S.
Extremely naive question, and I reckon the answer is negative, but asking stupid questions does not hurt: can we hope running Android applications in the final OS, using an emulator, development SDK or something like that, if the OS actually is Debian?

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
Originally Posted by wicket View Post
Hi Jörg,

Sorry to be a pest but I have a few questions...

When I create an account on neo900.org, do I need to use the same email address I used when I placed my original donation? The reason I ask is that I originally created a "goldelico" email alias for my domain when I placed my original donation which now seems somewhat inappropriate so I'd now like to create a new email alias for Neo900 UG.
I moved the answers to this question over to http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=95482. I didn't move this post since it has other questions not related to shop too
Originally Posted by wicket View Post
I understand that one of the features the PLS8-X offers over the modem variants is "Automatic Carrier Switching". Do you know anything about this feature? I'm guessing that it requires dual SIM cards and is therefore irrelevant on the Neo900.

I noticed that the datasheet lists an LTE-only modem variant (PLS8-V). Will this also be an available option for the Neo900?

I also noticed the the maximum download/upload speed for EDGE is 237kbps. Does that imply that EDGE+ (1Mbps DL/400kbps UL) is not supported or is it possible that it simply hasn't been taken it into account on the datasheet?

Will you be testing that the M2M functionality works properly without interference from the modem sandbox? I ask this as M2M hasn't been advertised as a Neo900 feature even though the modem provides it.

Is there anywhere I can read up on the M2M functionality of the modem? I'd be interested to know exactly what it offers. Does it act as an M2M Gateway or an end device with sensors/actuators?

Cheers.
sorry we don't have much more (if any) info beyond what everybody can read in the Gemalto datasheets. Yes, those datasheets often are a tad fuzzy with fresh data. As soon as I find more detailed info about the newly emerged modem variants, I'll share it here. Just one thing: per definition all P*S8 are drop-in compatible footprint and pinout.
The "M2M" is just a marketing term alluding to their main customer target group. It doesn't mean a thing technically.

/j

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2015-05-19 at 19:44. Reason: typo

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Kabouik View Post
... can we hope running Android applications in the final OS, using an emulator, development SDK or something like that, if the OS actually is Debian?
Just out of curiousity, why would you want to? The Neo900 means something different to everyone, but one thing I sort of assumed was its complete and utter detachment from the iOS/Android universe.

I'm just wondering, what use case do you have for running an Android app on the Neo900 that couldn't be serviced by just buying a cheaper droid device?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mikegioia For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
Wow, a lot of good questions :-) Here we go...
- I'm not comfortable with choosing the modem variant. I don't even fully understand the criteria that are used to differentiate them in the shop, which is not a good sign. The technical sheets are Chinese to me. Any help would be much appreciated! If it helps, I live in Europe, but if the price is the same for worldwide connection (including Europe), then I'd surely prefer it, as I happen to travel for work, sometimes.
VERY simply put:
LTE aka 4G (PLS8) is faster on data but very poor on roaming. Select your local variant for either Europe or USA. Other regions please see http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=93095 and my post a few above.
UMTS aka 3G (PHS8) is still fast enough for me (YMMV) and should work almost worldwide.
PXS8 is a PHS8 that also supports CDMA2000 data (as I understand it). We can't test that modem here since we have no CDMA networks in whole Europe. Unlike Endsormeans suggested, availability of the PXS8 is not really a question, we have very good contacts to Gemalto.
Price for the LTE variants is probably a 20..50 bucks higher than UMTS
- Is the "End of 2015" ETA a safe estimation? It doesn't need to be very accurate, but I'd like to know if huge delays should still be expected or, conversely, if the main barriers before production have already been passed (except funding, of course).
Sorry no promises on that one, like every other company's policy too. We hope for that date, but we got no crystal ball. All known main barriers are eliminated and thus we went to open up the preorder shop. That's the whole story. Now I hope I we can continue doing what we're great in: electrical engineering - instead of struggling blindly through Prestashop parameter-jungle :-)
- Will the Neo900's USB port be more reliable/solid than the N900's?
Yes, but that's actually a question answered a zillion times, please use "search in thread" tool of the forum.
- I seem to recall that Maemo 5 compatibility would be guaranteed (though I do like the Debian plan too), but I don't find it in the FAQ anymore. Has this goal been discarded?
Maemo5 compatibility is a core feature with impact to complete design of Neo900, it never will get dropped. I dunno if it ever was in FAQ, but for sure should be there. Thanks for bringing it up.

- What exactly is a down payment? Excuse me but I'm not a native speaker and I'm not quite sure what it corresponds to. If I pay 350€ now (minus the voucher), will I need to pay 640€ later (provided that the price stabilizes at about 990€), or is that just a preorder confirmation worth 350€ but paid only at a later point when the device is available (990€ payment at the end, or 350€ loss in case I leave the ship)?
In German it's "Anzahlung", basically it's a partial payment to the final invoice amount. You have a contract for a device and you will receive a final invoice when the device is ready to ship, for the missing difference between what you already paid and what the device will sell for.
So yes, your case #1 is correct.
- Is there a deadline for making the down payment, before the shop is closed/the voucher expires/the expected stock of boards or Neo900s runs low?
The voucher basically never expires. However I plan to order N900 for all those who ordered a Neo900_complete_device in a maybe 6 weeks from now, and it's completely unclear if orders coming in after that purchase of N900 will have a chance to get satisfied. Same story for other risk parts basically. For the N900 odds are I can't do a second order later on. But for sure I will try. So there's no hard deadline but several steps where your chances to actually succeed with your order will diminish. I can try to get more N900 (or whatever risk part) til the very point where we start production (and beyond, for a second batch), but odds are that it turns out we need to refund you completely (and partially in already purchased components) after first batch of devices got built and we can't build a second one for whatever reasons. It's a really complicated calculation what can get done and what has to happen when and whether or not it can get done once more. Right now is the sweet spot where all sourcing obstacles are solvable when we tackle them now. Thus the preorder Down Payment. Order now and you're in for sure

Extremely naive question, and I reckon the answer is negative, but asking stupid questions does not hurt: can we hope running Android applications in the final OS, using an emulator, development SDK or something like that, if the OS actually is Debian?
I know there's NitDroid and Replicant. No idea about VMs or whatever to run apps for android inder Debian

OK, please holler when any of the answers above was not comprehensive or clear enough.

cheers
jOERG

[edit]fontsize boost by me

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2015-05-19 at 19:38. Reason: fontsize boost

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 562 | Thanked: 1,732 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ NYC
Little off topic, but also on topic too since it's open hardware and crowd sourced. Has anyone seen this lovely little project https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...er/video_share.

I was even thinking perhaps the next Neo board could be as easy as making a module case, so you could just plug in a upgraded board like memory . I can dream.

Enjoy and lets use the spirit of this projects success as a reminder that there are people out there that support projects like ours.

x

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to xman For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,139 | Thanked: 8,156 times | Joined on Feb 2013 @ From my Gabriola Island hermitage, near the Edge of the World
Well that is a relief of sorts...
here I thought it was an issue of sourcing the PXS8...
but yeah...you guys don't have cdma over there do you?
well that is a better situation...
thanks for that clarity..

Owner of :
1-n770 (in retirement), 3-n800's / 3-n810's (still in daily use), 5-n900's ((3 are flawless, 1 loose usb ( parts), 1 has no telephony (parts))
3-nexus 5's : 1 w/ Floko Pie 9.1 (running beautifully) waiting for Stable Droid 10 rom, 1 w/ ̶Ubuntu Touch, 1 with Maru OS (intend maemo leste when ready)

1/2 - neo900 pre- "purchased" in 2013. N̶o̶w̶ ̶A̶w̶a̶i̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶r̶e̶f̶u̶n̶d̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶c̶e̶s̶s̶ ̶l̶a̶s̶t̶ ̶f̶e̶w̶ ̶y̶e̶a̶r̶s̶ - neo900 start up declared officially dead -
Lost invested funds.

PIMP MY N8X0 (Idiot's Guide and a video walkthrough)http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94294
THE LOST GRONMAYER CATALOGShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ight=gronmayer
N8X0 VIDEO ENCODING THE EASY WAYhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ght=mediacoder
242gb ON N800http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=90634
THE PAIN-FREE MAEMO DEVELOPMENT LIVE DISTRO-ISO FOR THE NOOB TO THE PROhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=95567
AFFORDABLE MASS PRODUCTION FOR MAEMO PARTShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=93325

Meateo balloons now available @ Dave999's Meateo Emporium

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to endsormeans For This Useful Post:

Tags
neo900, thank you!