Closed Thread
Posts: 46 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ South Carolina
Originally Posted by qole View Post
paulmorin: I assume you are using LXDE? The default config of LXDE puts the "task bar" on the left side of the screen, not the bottom. What happens when you tap and hold on the screen?

Also, you really need to install the new image file; if you are using the old (pre-turbo) image file that used IceWM instead, things will not work correctly.

Do you get any errors when starting LXDE?
I am using easy-deb-chroot-0.9.9-1, and debian-final-img.ext2 9/14/2008 1.1GB. I am using LXDE. There are a few icons in the upper left side. Nothing happens when I tap the screen. I thought I read in a previous post that the tree wallpaper contained icons that allowed you to set various options that make LXDE run the way you want. Am I mistaken?

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
You tap-and-hold on the wallpaper, and a right-click context menu will pop up under your pointer. The last item, Desktop Settings, will let you choose new wallpaper, choose icon size, turn on thumbnails for file display, etc... There are some more settings on the system menu in the top left corner, under Preferences -> Appearance.

There are yet more settings to be found if you tap-and-hold on the left-hand panel. You can move it to other places (maybe you prefer the bottom, top or the right), change the the panel's colour, font, etc

Last edited by qole; 2008-10-19 at 23:58.

Qole, I just installed Debian flawlessly! Thank you so much The installer and all the applications worked without a hitch. The install didn't take long, either.

This is so awesome

Thanks again!

all right so i'm a bit perplexed. I downloaded the ch-root-debian but then it said i had to have an image file on my memory card. So I went to my extras menu and clicked on the debian image finstaller and it opened up xterm and downloaded debian-chroot-img-final onto my memory card. I then went to my app manager and checked for updated. I found, that ch-root-debian was corupt and tried updating it but it didn't work. What should I do?

Posts: 66 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ near Memphis, TN USA
This looks real nice! Thanks qole! Very cool indeed!

With xubuntu getting more bloated, I'll have to give Debian & LXDE a try on my old AMD 1500 machine...

Originally Posted by qole View Post
Lots of fun as always, I see.
NO offense man. Perhaps it's something with my config but it's really running slowly and the processor seems to be pegged most of the time. I even tried it from my cloned OS and still the same. KDE on the same hardware is much more responsive. I launched that CPU performance maximizer and it was still slow. That no feedback after clicking is really problematic.

Anyway. Appreciate the effort for the software and it was a good learning experience for me.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by Scarflash View Post
all right so i'm a bit perplexed... I then went to my app manager and checked for updated. I found, that ch-root-debian was corupt and tried updating it but it didn't work. What should I do?

I'm a bit perplexed too. I don't really understand what happened to you. What do you mean that easy-deb-chroot "was cor[r]upt"?

well nvm i fixed it by uninstalling it and installing it again. This time I got the whole where i wanted to place each shortcut (i.e. iceweasel, cpu-boost, etc.). Last time I didn't get that and the app manager just froze up and closed. Well now it's working and i'm downloading the 300mb file.

Originally Posted by sondjata View Post
...it's really running slowly and the processor seems to be pegged most of the time....
Considering we're talking about a whole array of applications, "it" is not very helpful. The LXDE environment should load quickly and be quite responsive, but OpenOffice and Iceweasel take a long time to start, and they're both a bit sluggish on the tablet.

Originally Posted by sondjata View Post
KDE on the same hardware is much more responsive.
What part of KDE is more responsive? For me, the KDE environment is about the same as LXDE (although it takes a lot longer to start up), but the KOffice suite is definitely more responsive than OpenOffice and Konqueror is generally more responsive than Iceweasel. But many people prefer OpenOffice and Iceweasel and will live with some sluggishness.

Last edited by qole; 2008-10-20 at 03:41.

Originally Posted by Rassilon7 View Post
Once installed is the "debian-final.img.ext2" file still required? Can I delete it? or is this where all of the files actually are?
Oops, just saw this question...

Yes, the debian-final.img.ext2 file holds all of the data for the Easy Debian project. It is like a virtual disk inside a file. When you run a Debian program, this file is mounted like a disk drive.

Closed Thread

Tags
debian, firefox, gimp, java, openoffice