Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
Originally Posted by momcilo View Post
10 x the size of RAM or storage? ( I am trying to catch up)
storage. And i may have been hyperbolic there, but it was larger then webkit to a very noticable degree.

Originally Posted by tso View Post
storage. And i may have been hyperbolic there, but it was larger then webkit to a very noticable degree.
Perhaps, we should try to somehow "refurbish" diablo, by back-porting some libraries and applications like:
  • browser (webkit based), this is the most critical part of obsolesce.
  • mail client (upstream modest)
  • chat client (pidgin)
  • games
  • QT based apps, etc.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to momcilo For This Useful Post:
Been tried, and abandoned, several times...

Originally Posted by momcilo View Post
browser (webkit based), this is the most critical part of obsolesce.
Unfortunately last time I tried both tear and midori had some showstopper issues like lack of support for authentication. Are there any other free software options?

mail client (upstream modest)
Upstream modest (and tinymail) is a dead end (last commit: June 2010), and in many ways more buggy than the Diablo one (just ask Fremantle users). The Harmattan replacement turned out to be both quite bad and closed source so porting it is out of the question. Claws-mail does still work fairly well though.

chat client (pidgin)
What's wrong with the built-in telepathy stack?

QT based apps, etc.
Qt is huge, not really an option for Diablo devices unless you don't want to install much else or are willing to clone the rootfs to a card.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by lma View Post
Unfortunately last time I tried both tear and midori had some showstopper issues like lack of support for authentication. Are there any other free software options?
Has anybody tried latest Firefox build, it seems they have built package for diablo as well.
Perhaps it can be tuned to behave with less memory usage.
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=53650

Upstream modest (and tinymail) is a dead end (last commit: June 2010), and in many ways more buggy than the Diablo one (just ask Fremantle users). The Harmattan replacement turned out to be both quite bad and closed source so porting it is out of the question. Claws-mail does still work fairly well though.
Thanks for pointing out upstream issues. Claws mail is a good one.

What's wrong with the built-in telepathy stack?
Nothing so far, except for the pidgin is less integrated and therefore it is easier to provide a new package.

Qt is huge, not really an option for Diablo devices unless you don't want to install much else or are willing to clone the rootfs to a card.
Clone of the rootfs is must in this case. I hope I will be able to resume toward this direction once I get the replacement screen.

In any case, I wanted to share my thoughts and see if there are people that are interested to work on upgrades. I am not suggesting stskeeps approach of porting everything ( failed mer and meego attempts). Instead I would like to suggest to focus on what we can upgrade/replace with relatively little effort.

Stuff like browser and chat client are most exposed to obsolesce issues. E-mail is not that critical.

By having upstream QT we would be able to port some newer applications that are not CPU/Memory intensive.

Last edited by momcilo; 2011-09-14 at 10:01.

The Following User Says Thank You to momcilo For This Useful Post:
Can't get myself to enjoy Claws mail. Likely because it has a single line pr mail interface.

Posts: 143 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Bradford, (England)
I still own my N800 - fourth year - and barring some sluggish performance on the browser and lack of flash support - it still serves a purpose.

However is there any way of improving tear and getting flash or an altrnative browser ?, Opera and Mozilla are pretty poor and never load.

Posts: 1,101 | Thanked: 1,184 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Spain
Originally Posted by Yaser88 View Post
I still own my N800 - fourth year - and barring some sluggish performance on the browser and lack of flash support - it still serves a purpose.

However is there any way of improving tear and getting flash or an altrnative browser ?, Opera and Mozilla are pretty poor and never load.
Opera is really good, although it doesn't support flash, which is more a feature than otherwise
If it doesn't load in your N800, then probably you have a problem somewhere else.
First, delete ~/.opera and try again. If that doesn't work, open opera in a xterm to see the output.

Posts: 3,811 | Thanked: 1,151 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ East Lansing, MI
Originally Posted by fanoush View Post
Hi, there was always some compiler bug triggered by kyra engine, not sure if this is the same one? There is a workaround in older scummvm makefiles, maybe things moved a bit so it no longer works as is or you forget to merge it into new version?

The workaround was to recompile one specific source with -O3 instead normal -Os (which produces smaller -> faster code)

As for scummvm for maemo, there is another person upstream taking care of scummvm now, see https://github.com/scummvm/scummvm/pull/78
Sorry, but what do I click on in this page to download the latest version?

Many thanks.

@Addison
I'm successfully using an N900 BL-5J battery in my N810. The BL-5J has the same type of terminal connectors as the BP-4L with the same +/-/BSI terminal arrangement, but it is a 1/4" smaller than the BP-4L in both length and width so you have to use some type of filler (like blue-tack or an L-shaped piece of corrugated cardboard) to keep the battery in place.

For extreme battery life, you can try out some of the battery mods inspired by Dr_Frost_DK's research...since the N810 is bigger and has no camera on the back, you can probably easily fit an additional two batteries on the outside of the battery cover instead of just one.

As for the N800 BP-5L, I'm not sure what recently manufactured battery models are good substitutes. I think it should be possible to chop the top bits (the tiny circuit board and battery terminals, basically the non battery portion) off from an expired BP-5L and a new BL-5J and to then solder the BP-5L top bit to the newer lithium ion from the BL-5J, but I'm really crap with electronics so can someone chime in and say whether this is a sane idea?

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ILikeMaemo For This Useful Post:

Tags
maemo4, nokia n800, nokia n810