Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
I think there is battle within nokia. Meego VS Win7...
This is to be expected when it appears as if an organization has been surreptitiously undermined by a corporate mole from what had always been a competitor up until said person took over. I've actually seen, firsthand, similar tactics applied to get a company's products used in large companies (i.e. get one of your "moles" hired in a company into a position where they can decree that your product becomes the defacto email/ticketing system/monitoring system/etc, then when they quit and re-join your company you give them a HUGE bonus for a job well done.)

Not saying this is the case here, but it seems suspiciously likely.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
O yes there is, we have already seen this in the blogs and as we all knows people has leaved the company in anger.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Posts: 144 | Thanked: 68 times | Joined on Mar 2011 @ a spot
Dave999, are you Stephen Elop? Aha, caught ya - cover blown

Posts: 1,259 | Thanked: 1,341 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germany
Originally Posted by Peter@Maemo Marketing View Post
You are not alone, especially in this world of talk.maemo.org, but reality is that any sales statistics on smartphones tells you that monoblock device outsell by a huge margin any QWERTY devices. Just go into a shop a check out how many QWERTY smartphones you will find.
And exaktly this was the reason why my boss had to buy a E7 despite he had a bad expirience with symbian in the past. There are simply no good alternatives at the moment.

In my opinion this was the reason why Nokia has sold a N97, N97mini and E7 at all. There was no other reason for the customers to favor such a Device compared to a iPhone, Android or even a Black Berry with a to small keyboard.

Last edited by Helmuth; 2011-06-26 at 09:37.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Helmuth For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by GigaByte View Post
Dave999, are you Stephen Elop? Aha, caught ya - cover blown
Damn it! please don't tell anyone.

Before, it was Maemo vs Symbian, that is why maemo has transitioned from tablet to phone OS.

Posts: 182 | Thanked: 540 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by selfish_russian View Post
abbra
When the software of harmattan is ready for release in your opinion?

PS Do the engineers still actively developing harmattan for N9 release or everything is ready?
I'm not working on it anymore as I resigned two days before launch release for personal reasons and feeling that my part of the journey is done (I'm an architect, majority of my work is always a bit ahead of any practical program).

It is sad to me to see that consumerism and new devices' obsession only lead to shorter usage cycles and more money being pulled out of our pockets basically for nothing. Two years of support (software updates and hardware fixes) for phones seem to be more or less universal in this industry (hey, corporations too ask their employees to change phones in 2-3 years, not earlier) but it does not mean that you'll get uniformly long support for both software and hardware parts -- that is not that common. At the same time my kids have old Samsung phones which never were updated by that company and still perform their jobs.

Harmattan teams are working and will continue as long as the program continues which is well beyond "the release", there are features planned for multiple milestones, as usual nowadays when updates functionality is implemented and working well.

Once the device comes out to the market, there are also other factors that start playing their roles in how fast a company could cut a support. I guess the fact that N900 is still supported by Nokia Care should tell you something.

Again, this is my personal feeling -- as a consumer. Hopefully, people who can speak on behalf of Nokia (like Peter Schneider or others) could clarify company's standing on it.

The Following 48 Users Say Thank You to abbra For This Useful Post:
Posts: 387 | Thanked: 566 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Dublin
I wouldn't be surprised to see the n9 / meego-harmattan go down a similar road to apples with 1 device and 1 Os, upgrading the Os and device and letting it build up traction.

Does anyone know if intel appup will be possible with the n9? i don't know enough about meego or harmattan to know what nokia kept and what the n9 software is capable of.

Originally Posted by abbra View Post
I guess the fact that N900 is still supported by Nokia Care should tell you something.

It maybe supported by Nokia care, as they have a duty to abide by their two warrenty, however support for it OS wise was dropped within 12 months. The N900 is therefore not really a good example to use!

I am surprised you are not aware of this if you worked on meego for Nokia?

The Following User Says Thank You to droitwichgas For This Useful Post:
Posts: 182 | Thanked: 540 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by droitwichgas View Post
It maybe supported by Nokia care, as they have a duty to abide by their two warrenty, however support for it OS wise was dropped within 12 months. The N900 is therefore not really a good example to use!
You probably haven't read carefully what I wrote.

The Following User Says Thank You to abbra For This Useful Post:

Tags
disapoint, eflop, epic win!, laggy interface, n9 rox, so much win, wateriswet, who cares, whyyyyy??????