Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post
Given Nokia have not yet responded to the requests completely, you sound awfully sure about the "bottom line" without having been party to any negotiations, discussions or contracts.

You're right. As a matter of fact I am privy only to what I have read here. Maybe what I should have said was...

From the looks of it mister. That dang horse is dead. Why should we still beat it?

BTW, all rights to the above post are reserved.

Last edited by YoDude; 2009-03-20 at 22:36. Reason: add a link

Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by glabifrons View Post
The mention of a java version of skype (above) made me think about the possibilities of java on the new platform.
There are two areas of possible interest with Java on the tablets:
  1. A platform for developing new applications.
  2. Running pre-existing applications.

The latter doesn't really interest me (although I expect middleware like equinox to work without modification; and... it does). However:

I've played with Jalimo on my N800 and it's nice, but not being hildonized, it can't do what I need (freemind without a keyboard for one example,
...makes me think you want the latter. Certainly there's auto-Hildonisation for SWT apps but, IIRC, Freemind is Swing. Running the Swing to SWT port under Freemind might provide promising results, though.

Has anyone heard any news at all about whether or not Nokia is (finally) willing to license Jazelle (Java directly on the OMAP3 hardware) for Maemo 5/RX-51?
No, I've not heard anything (I haven't checked, presumably OMAP3430 still supports Jazelle?)

This could really make it a fantastically versatile and powerful platform... imagine hardware accelerated Android (just one example),
Agreed (on the platform front[1]), however since Android uses its own Dalvik bytecode and VM - which has already been optimised for quick execution in a low-resource environment, and is incompatible with Java bytecode - Jazelle would make no difference to Android performance.

[1] Remote debugging. Code hot swap. IDEs like IntelliJ, Eclipse, NetBeans. Rich class libraries. <drool/>

Agreed (on the platform front[1]), however since Android uses its own Dalvik bytecode and VM - which has already been optimised for quick execution in a low-resource environment, and is incompatible with Java bytecode - Jazelle would make no difference to Android performance.
I seem to remember that Jazelle on the later ARM chips (i.e. not the ones in our N8x0 machines) can execute arbitrary machine code for each/any bytecode instruction, so it might still be usable (though we still don't quite know how it works and it's protected by patents and the like so I, for one, am not too bothered to dig into it any more)

The Following User Says Thank You to lardman For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by lardman View Post
I seem to remember that Jazelle on the later ARM chips (i.e. not the ones in our N8x0 machines) can execute arbitrary machine code for each/any bytecode instruction
Interesting - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ARM_arc....28ThumbEE.29: (emphasis mine):

ThumbEE, also known as Thumb-2EE, and marketed as Jazelle RCT (Runtime Compilation Target), was announced in 2005, first appearing in the Cortex-A8 processor. ThumbEE provides a small extension to the Thumb-2 extended Thumb instruction set, making the instruction set particularly suited to code generated at runtime (e.g. by JIT compilation) in managed Execution Environments. ThumbEE is a target for languages such as Limbo, Java, C#, Perl and Python, and allows JIT compilers to output smaller compiled code without impacting performance.
Although realistically (like "vanilla" jazelle, vfp, m-shield and so on) we may not get to see this in action before the chips are obsolete...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post: