Posts: 41 | Thanked: 128 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ Amsterdam
Hello everybody,

my name is Marieke Streefkerk and I work for Fronteer Strategy, a strategy and innovation consultancy in Amsterdam. We (Fronteer Strategy) are currently doing a co-creation project with Nokia that is linked to the Maemo Summit 2009 in Amsterdam. During this co-creation project we will bring together outside experts and lead-users and people from Nokia to collaboratively think about future concepts for Maemo Devices. For this, and that is the most exciting part, we would like to involve the Maemo community. I thereby mean sharing ideas with you, developing concepts with you, having discussions, involving you in the process, getting feedback, etc.

On the 8th of October there will be a one-day co-creation workshop in Amsterdam (at the same location as the Maemo Summit), which Fronteer Strategy will facilitate. This is an 'expert' or 'lead-user' co-creation workshop. During this day we will invite 8-10 outside experts, both Maemo and non-Maemo community members, who will work together with the Nokia team on developing new concepts and assess the potential of an existing Nokia concept. The fact that we will work with a select group of people on this day doesn't mean that you cannot be part of it.

The center-point of the co-creation project is this one-day co-creation workshop, but we will involve the Maemo Community before and after this day. Nokia wants to open up the results to a wide audience, therefore the results of the co-creation workshop will be shared during the Maemo Summit as well as online, allowing all Maemo Community members to participate and share their thoughts. This part of the schedule is also already placed on the Schedule for Day 2 (Maemo Co-Creation) by Jussi Mäkinen.
We will also try to involve you as much as possible before the Maemo Summit.

So to summarize, you can be part of this project, in many ways:
  • you can participate online, also if you're not joining the Summit in Amsterdam
  • you can participate in the co-creation workshop
  • you can participate during the Maemo Summit
  • you can recommend people whom you think are suit to participate in the workshop or the discussions online

So far my introduction. In the following weeks, I'd like to get to know you better and hope to hear if this projects sounds like something you are interested in.
I will also post more information about the project and be glad to answer any questions you have or hear any suggestions that you have.
I hope that you will become as enthusiastic as I am on working together on this.

Kind regards,

on behalf of Nokia and Fronteer Strategy,

Marieke Streefkerk

The Following 35 Users Say Thank You to Marieke For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
For the co-creation workshop, I'd like to recommend someone who spans across many Maemo community projects with his UI & design work, Andrew Zhilin (wazd).

He has shown fantastic insight in user interface design and usage of mobile devices in discussions on interaction in Mer and in Maemo and would be a great addition to any discussions on future concepts.

His work and beautiful designs can be seen on http://tabletui.wordpress.com/ and http://picasaweb.google.com/Drew.Zhilin/MerArtwork
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
I have to second this - and add that not only is Andrew a talented graphic and UI designer, he really works well with developers to ensure his ideas are implementable.

The Following User Says Thank You to lbt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 794 | Thanked: 784 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ /Canada/Ontario/GTA
Originally Posted by Marieke View Post
... During this day we will invite 8-10 outside experts, both Maemo and non-Maemo community members, who will work together with the Nokia team on developing new concepts and assess the potential of an existing Nokia concept...
Wow! I am not that well versed in how other OEM's deal with concept development and evaluation. But, IMHO, this seems like an amazing step forward for our community, and possibly a first! Thanks Fronteer and Nokia!

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to EIPI For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
It's taken a while, but I believe WE are really getting there!

Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Thanks to Marieke for the post above. To spread the word there's now an announcement on maemo.org: http://maemo.org/community/council/b...maemo_devices/

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
I wonder why the Maemo Co-creation Showcase session is scheduled so late at 17:30 - 17:55? I hope it gets bumped up in the morning and/or not overlap with any other sessions. Everyone would like to hear the out come of the co-creation anyway, right?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Reggie For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,070 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by Reggie View Post
I wonder why the Maemo Co-creation Showcase session is scheduled so late at 17:30 - 17:55? I hope it gets bumped up in the morning and/or not overlap with any other sessions. Everyone would like to hear the out come of the co-creation anyway, right?
The organizer (Jussi) asked for this slot and the other two on Sunday morning, and as you can see by the sessions description, the intended audience are only users.

Posts: 1,635 | Thanked: 1,816 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Manchester, England
hiya Marieke,

I'm looking forward to these sessions more than any other so far.
last year at the summit I was asked where I think maemo will be like in 5 years time and how our computing lives will be. (i wonder where my video ended up?)

I am still amazed that I am able to keep my entire digital memory in the palm of my hand. all my sketches and all my code all together and able to take with me anywhere

Posts: 131 | Thanked: 150 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Pistoia, Italy
I hope to be able to be present at the Summit, so I'll explain ideas I've about the device.

The strange thing is this: next devices are a work in progress. Not ready yet, but almost defined... so what can we be useful for?

How can we know what to propose if we don't know how will be the next device?

Strange situation, anyway I wanna give my contribute anyway