Active Topics

Posts: 77 | Thanked: 85 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Italy
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
So yes, the MeeGo project will release images for the N900 that will be official, you will be able to file bugs, propose features...
My doubts vanished with the blog post on Meego.com and finally with this sentence.

IMHO, the keyword here is 'official'. So what I understand is (with 99.9% confidence):
  1. MeeGo project will release official firmware images that are specific for N900 (so we will not need to hack a image by ourselves).
  2. The images will support the N900 hardware fully, thanks to Nokia contributing hardware adaptation code components.
  3. Users will be able to choose to stay with Maemo 5 or to flash MeeGo on their N900s.

This is very much like installing a Linux distribution on a PC with Windows preinstalled. The big difference is that, in this case, the hardware maker (Nokia) is directly involved, so full hardware compatibility should be granted from day one.

It remains to be seen whether this will happen already with Harmattan or with a later MeeGo release.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to fgs For This Useful Post:
Posts: 999 | Thanked: 1,117 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ earth?
Originally Posted by qole View Post
Yeah, that's how I feel too. Such upset, such hand-wringing, I just want to pat some heads and say, "there, there, it will be OK"...

As I posted on the blog, this is also another clear statement that Nokia and Intel see MeeGo as a flanking attack to win the OS war starting in the pocket and in the backpack. I foresee a future where all the innovation is in the mobile space and people will be wanting their mobile apps on the desktop, rather than the other way around. Actually, I foresee the death of the desktop computer altogether.

I think Nokia and Intel foresee all of that too, and this is their first strike to conquer the computing world and release it from its shackles
I think you are right.

Personally I think the desktop in general has become bloated and a little unfocused.

I think a lot of "heavy-weight" desktop systems can benefit from something like MeeGo.

Actually, I foresee the death of the desktop computer altogether.
Bill Gates has been saying this since the early nineties!

The desktop computer will be around for a good few years yet!
They are cheap, easy to upgrade and you get best "bang for buck" power-wise.
They may become less popular but I don't think desktop PCs are going anywhere soon.

Posts: 289 | Thanked: 560 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Tampere, Finland
Originally Posted by felbutss View Post
smiling until i saw that. hmmmmmmm i feel like the confusion is back again. lol here we go again
I can see how this could be confusing so I'll try to clarify it a bit in hopefully understandable terms. (Disclaimer: Contains generalisation, simplification and cutting corners. If there are glaring mistakes, feel free to correct.)

1. There is Nokia Maemo 5 / Fremantle now. The next release would have been Nokia Maemo 6 / Harmattan. Now, it is called Meego / Harmattan instead, but it's still the same Harmattan that it was going to be. This would be way clearer if they didn't rebrand it as MeeGo yet, but they wanted to get the marketing behind that brand already. You can think of Harmattan as half MeeGo. The next release after Harmattan will be Nokia's first full MeeGo.

2. You need to understand the layers, which together form an operating system. It may be difficult if you come from Windows/OS X world because they both only have one user interface. UI and applications, however are only the top of the OS pyramid. Underneath them there are a lot of stuff that actually make it all tick. That's what Meego is about, providing a common base for user interfaces and applications to be built on. When you think of Meego in general, think of everything you as an end user don't see.

3. What you actually see, the UI, applications, services etc. can and will vary depending on who made the Meego device. LG's UI may look totally different from Nokia UI. You'll only see Ovi applications and services on Nokia devices. These manufacturer specific applications on top of Meego won't necessarily be open source either. But the base on which they are built on is the same.

If you keep all this in mind, the discussion hopefully makes a bit more sense.

The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to jsa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,427 | Thanked: 2,077 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Sydney
Originally Posted by fgs View Post
This is very much like installing a Linux distribution on a PC with Windows preinstalled. The big difference is that, in this case, the hardware maker (Nokia) is directly involved, so full hardware compatibility should be granted from day one.
If I was Nokia, I would definitely want the Meego fully working on the currently released Nokia hardware to showcase what Meego can do. That current hardware would be the N900 of course. =)

Posts: 551 | Thanked: 507 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ North West England
6 months into the future prediction, a ton of threads along the lines of: -

"OMG!! I've installed Meego on my N900 and there are no usable apps on it!!!!!!! WTF is Nokia doing!!!!!"

<sigh>

The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to JohnLF For This Useful Post:
Posts: 883 | Thanked: 980 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Bern, Switzerland
MeeGo is an Operating System that might well run on the N900 hardware.

But what you bought with the N900 is a somewhat different Operating System PLUS about two dozen quite critical applications for it's usability (Browser, Media Player, Calendar, Contacts, Photos, Contacts, Phone, Maps, Camera, E-Mail, Conversations to name the most important ones).

So even if MeeGo will run on the N900, you won't yet get these apps included, because they need to be ported from Maemo 5 (GTK) to MeeGo (QT) the new OS. So just MeeGo on the N900 will look like the Maemo 5 SDK alpha/beta did: You boot up and get one or two apps...

Therefore, the critical 2nd step would be to know if Nokia's Applications for MeeGo will also support not only their next device, but also the N900 insofar the hardware or API is different. Or if there is enough information around that the community could build some of these apps. Or if they would even be open-sourced.

"the idea of truly having a computer in your pocket just moved a big step closer."

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to twaelti For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qole View Post
Actually, I foresee the death of the desktop computer altogether.
That's funny, I recently deleted a post that said something similar, but I went one step further and said I foresee the death of the CL.

Posts: 1,217 | Thanked: 446 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Bedfordshire, UK
Originally Posted by JohnLF View Post
6 months into the future prediction, a ton of threads along the lines of: -

"OMG!! I've installed Meego on my N900 and there are no usable apps on it!!!!!!! WTF is Nokia doing!!!!!"

<sigh>
The really scarey bit about this is that it is SO believeable! Hey ho! LOL

Originally Posted by twaelti View Post
So even if MeeGo will run on the N900, you won't yet get these apps included, because they need to be ported from Maemo 5 (GTK) to MeeGo (QT) the new OS.
No need for that, GTK+ will be officially supported in MeeGo (as opposed to the original Maemo 6 plan). Note that porting Hildon apps may be slightly more complex but not a huge task.

As an example, there is work underway for Moblin support in modest and tinymail, so it will almost certainly run on MeeGo.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dirty Harry For This Useful Post: