Originally Posted by Seawolf View Post
All those discussions about DRM and piracy and bla bla, and there are still no pirated copies of the level pack on the internet
It was possible to download levelpack1 when it appeared first time. But most of people which did that feel that sharing package will get authors out of our platform. So why risk?

Moderator edit: Moved this discussion out from the thread about the Angry Birds expansion being available (and then not) in the Ovi store.

Last edited by Flandry; 2010-03-02 at 15:53.

Originally Posted by dread123 View Post
deleted (broke the rule)
Please don't encourage these people. Pirating the app is the no different than going into a store and taking something from the shelves and leaving with it. Unfortunately in this circumstance we don't have a large dude with a gun to grab you as you try to leave.
Agro ... : |*****-----] Relic(s) : G1, N900

Last edited by Flandry; 2010-03-02 at 15:50.

Originally Posted by Bratag View Post
Please don't encourage these people. Pirating the app is the no different than going into a store and taking something from the shelves and leaving with it. Unfortunately in this circumstance we don't have a large dude with a gun to grab you as you try to leave.
Altough I don't think you should pirate this app please don't say such things - it's just not correct.

Originally Posted by Hossie View Post
Altough I don't think you should pirate this app please don't say such things - it's just not correct.

Piracy is theft in every legal sense of the word. If I had a machine that cloned an item in a store and you could purchase that clone, yet chose to leave without paying for that clone it would still be theft. When you buy software you are not paying for the copy of the code, you are paying for

a) The time spent in development of that code
b) The functionality provided by that code

Piracy = Theft. You can tell yourself it doesnt if that helps you sleep at night, but as a Developer who has people pirating an app that I only charge 99 cents for - I can tell you its stealing.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
@Hossie: You forgot the part where the money exchange hands..
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
Piracy is theft in every legal sense of the word.
Firstly, this is copyright violation, not piracy (no ships, eyepatches, or swords are involved in the process). Secondly, it is legally very distinct from theft (in most countries anyway).

This doesn't make it morally right in any way, but there is a difference.

I'm sure there wouldn't be a copy of the levelpack if everyone could still buy it...

Originally Posted by Rob1n View Post
Firstly, this is copyright violation, not piracy (no ships, eyepatches, or swords are involved in the process). Secondly, it is legally very distinct from theft (in most countries anyway).

This doesn't make it morally right in any way, but there is a difference.
Actually thats complete bollocks. Piracy in no way has to involve eye patches etc.

The legal definition of piracy includes

Copyright infringement (or copyright violation) is the unauthorized use of material that is covered by copyright law, in a manner that violates one of the copyright owner's exclusive rights, such as the right to reproduce or perform the copyrighted work, or to make derivative works.

Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
Actually thats complete bollocks. Piracy in no way has to involve eye patches etc.

The legal definition of piracy includes

Copyright infringement (or copyright violation) is the unauthorized use of material that is covered by copyright law, in a manner that violates one of the copyright owner's exclusive rights, such as the right to reproduce or perform the copyrighted work, or to make derivative works.
Do you have a reference for that? The only legal definitions of piracy I can find specifically refer to acts of robbery/criminal violence at sea.

i don't think that it is theft when you try to buy an app from the ovi store but you can't, because nokia has decided that people from third world countries like turkey shouldnt buy apps, and when you see the "this product isnt available for your country" message and know that everybody else is downloading it, you get mad and download it from somewhere else.

i would just buy it if i could.