What is interesting to me is the fact that only the iPhone users never complain about their devices - and with all the features these Apple products are missing - I can't understand it. Either Steve is a master mind-controller, or they perfectly nailed the demographic of their customers.

The Android forums have quite a few users complaining about stuff - I have to say that it isn't as dramatic as TMO, but the things they complain about are equally funny. My favorite is the lack of gorilla glass on the Desire/Nexus One. Now, as you know, gorilla glass is a great, resistant glass tech but its not as if the 'normal' glass is fragile. I had my Desire fall on concrete face down (from quite a hight) and survive without a single scratch on screen. Still, the Android whiners - when they found out about gorilla glass (thanks Engaget and Dell Streak!) started claiming their "ordinary" capacitive screens are so weak that they can crack even under the slightest force. Conclusion? "Cheapskates at HTC! Why, oh why you didn't put gorilla glass on your two flagship devices". Also, I read things about HTC widgets being unpolished - now, if they are not polished, I don't know what is. They are far better than stock ones and they have lots of options and eye-candy. What widgets are better? Well, I guess they haven't seen Maemo's twitter widget Still, people complain and think the grass is greener on the other side.

The truth is, we can always find - and very often - IMAGINE something better than what we have.

Realistically - all the devices are great and offer amazing functionality. Even their weakest points are not that bad. Take the N900 and gmail. Now, nothing can beat gmail on an Android. Period. And you have to wait 10 seconds or more to read the email on your N900 while the Android devices have it pushed instantly it arrives and it opens up in a matter of moments. Android is clearly the winner here - but think about it - set your N900 to check for mail every 5 minutes and you're getting mail updates all day long. So you wait a bit longer - but it still beats checking it every 5 minutes on your PC! It still works - and works well!

But what about things where the N900 is better, even when compared to the high-end Android devices? Sharper screen with no pinkish hues of an AMOLEAD? Stereo speakers that actually make movies watchable without headsets? (try the Nexus' monospeaker - you can barely hear it most of the time and the quality is quite low) An easier keyboard? (and I'm not talking just the hardware one, the resistive onscreen kboard is also more precise - than the ultrasensitive capacitive one). Then there's the camera, the dual flash, the built-in storage. N900 is quite up there when it comes to high-end devices.

And don't think the Android guys don't complain and whine because they lack the things Maemo users have. Things such as Xvid support.

In other words - people complain everywhere

The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to ivanzorkic For This Useful Post:
Posts: 411 | Thanked: 195 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Cambridge, UK
Apple users do not complain because every Apple product is packaged in Hypnostyrene(tm). Not only does this mask the limitations and low spec of the device, it also compells the users to recruit new members..

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Tedri Mark For This Useful Post:
there you go !!

everything is amazing and no-one is happy........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8r1CZTLk-Gk

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to baron von bubba For This Useful Post:
I think Jobs Reality distortion field (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reality_distortion_field) makes the people believe that the iDevices are perfect.

The Following User Says Thank You to thelReason For This Useful Post:
Posts: 579 | Thanked: 471 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Austria
Perhaps the IPhone forums are more strictly moderated?

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to rebhana For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
I think that Reality ditortion field applies also to people who think that amount of features correleates on how perfect the device is. (In reality it should be more or like how well features are used in applications and how mature these applications are RIGHT NOW. )

As much as I don.t care about iDevices, it is the undisputable truth that customer satisfaction is closely linked to quality. We expect cars and houses to simply work, and most people expect the same from phones. You dont configure a car to be able to put it in reverse, you just do it. Apple has shown that the same thing is possible on phones.

Posts: 411 | Thanked: 195 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Cambridge, UK
I like that vid...

I knoe a few people who don't like their iphone. When they see my n900 they are usually impressed."woah, you have 2 things going at one time, wtf"
The fact that there are not many online complainers is probably due more to iphone users not being able to find where to, or how to complain.
Either because of: the limitations of the device; they cannot be bothered to cos '"t's just a phone, I don't really care what else it can and can't do"; or because, dare I say it, the limitations of the user.

The comment about apples' demographic is a good one, they know how to sell stuff to people who just want a 'force fed to dummies' sort of device which they don't need to think much about or do muvh with.