Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
but to be honest I don't expect much of a retreat off that stance.
not any more now, no. to be honest, i was foolish enough to expect some serious apology and a fix when the issue was first made public. i really thought it was something they hadn't realized... something none of the nokians we know would have allowed to happen had they been asked. man, i was an idiot to trust them, wasn't i? in the end, they're only marketing people.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 267 | Thanked: 408 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Austria
Another round of showing no care for their paying customers. Seems like it's not just their production they moved to low-wage countries.

But, hey, I was one of those who were especially lucky. I was in a foreign country when PR 1.2 hit me - and we all know how "cheap" roaming fees are...

Nevertheless, big thanks to the Council for at least squeezing a reply out of Nokia, even if this is most definitely not the reply we were hoping for.

Posts: 193 | Thanked: 92 times | Joined on May 2010 @ galveston, tx
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Your points are well-taken, and in fact you will get no argument from the council. We will challenge statements such as that as far and hard as we can... but to be honest I don't expect much of a retreat off that stance.
What is the reason for Nokia being so uptight about the myNokia issue? At this juncture, don;t they need to befriend as many users as possible?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to noipv4 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by CommunityCouncil View Post
These messages include tips on the capabilities and features of the Nokia devices and available services and features. We believe that these support messages are for the benefit of the consumer and help those consumers who are not yet fully aware of the possibilities their devices offer to make the most out of their purchase.
which (in my case) translates to:

i receive messages in random intervals announcing updates for my n900 when no updates are available. these messages contain a url i should visit for more information. following this link results in a 404-error.

so: false information and a link to a website that doesn't even exist are for the benefit of the consumer and help those who aren't yet fully aware of nokia's competence?

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
The mobile comoputer argument is simply BS. Every single OS I installed on my computers be it Windows, OSX or ommercial linux distribution like Red Hat and Mandriva always gave me the choice on wheter or not I wanted to register for support and other notifications. So no, the N900 being considered a mobile computer doesn't give Nokia the right to do whatever they want with my personal informations. Hell when I had my N82 Black Edition, I had to register my phone to be able to get the MyNokia service.... What happened?

Last edited by Ayle; 2010-06-27 at 15:50.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Ayle For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Switzerland
The answer from Nokia is BS and simply wrong, so in my opinion they are lying to you.

I just got my N900-Box, there is no information at all about MyNokia, not on the box and not in the quickstart-guide. I also found the N97-Box: not one word on the box, but an ad in the guide. The text is formulated that you CAN register, but you don't have to. We all now this is not true, neither with Maemo nor with Symbian (where they started this crap...).

I can also confirm that you pay for this SMS, also for the one you have to send to unregister. Everytime you make an system-update or you have to reflash. Always the same, you pay two SMS. I know this because I flashed once with a Prepaid...

So, if you go to Nokia for a clearer answer, please tell them it's a REALLY bad idea to lie to your customers.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to ythomet For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by noipv4 View Post
What is the reason for Nokia being so uptight about the myNokia issue? At this juncture, don;t they need to befriend as many users as possible?
We have really stressed the point about failing goodwill. Hopefully that resonates with the right persons.

I do expect some action on this, but it *may* be no more than an update that allows the user to opt-out. I won't be surprised if Nokia PR stubbornly sticks to the legal boilerplate. Disappointed though.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Nokia's PR seems to be completely failing at its job. I mean, if their duty was to make Nokia look bad, they're doing an ace job.

On the other hand, that stupid MyNokia crap cost me $0.60 (since I don't have an SMS plan.)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wmarone For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Is it safe to ask what response would have been satisfactory from Nokia?

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Is it safe to ask what response would have been satisfactory from Nokia?
An apology and acknowledgment that they shouldn't have done it, and won't do it again in the future (then actually following through?)

I think that would have sufficed for most people.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to wmarone For This Useful Post: