Active Topics

Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
I think konttori's smart enough to see that the illustration represents a landscape scenario.
And yet he is surprised to see that picture? So he is either lacking eyesight or the screen problems are really random.

Where is Konttori posting follow up to this, about his findings on testing displays?

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
i'll be able to check this next week with a device that's supposed to be ok.

but the guy who owns it watched my video, saw he stripes there and said he couldn't reproduce it on his n9.
OK, I met the guy with the N9 he said was OK - and it wasn't. He only had set the brightness to almost maximum, so he didn't notice. (They're hardly noticeable on mine when I set brightness so high).

BUT: Still, after I decreased the brightness level and compared the two phones, mine was a lot worse than his. Also, his didn't have the purple tint on the upper right corner (portrait).
(I was afraid I might have ruined his fun with the phone, but he'd already decided to sell it and go back to Symbian, anyway ...)

So while I still have to see a working screen on the N9, I now know the problems aren't always as evident as on my device. This may explain why some here do see them, but wonder what the fuzz is all about.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by ste-phan View Post
And yet he is surprised to see that picture? So he is either lacking eyesight or the screen problems are really random.
Where is Konttori posting follow up to this, about his findings on testing displays?
Patience mate, patience.

BUT: Still, after I decreased the brightness level and compared the two phones, mine was a lot worse than his. Also, his didn't have the purple tint on the upper right corner (portrait).
So while I still have to see a working screen on the N9, I now know the problems aren't always as evident as on my device. This may explain why some here do see them, but wonder what the fuzz is all about.
Thanks for that!
Hmm, so it sounds like at least two of the issues come down to hardware?
i.e. the panel type being used.

(I was afraid I might have ruined his fun with the phone, but he'd already decided to sell it and go back to Symbian, anyway ...)
Eiiiiwww

OK, I met the guy with the N9 he said was OK - and it wasn't. He only had set the brightness to almost maximum, so he didn't notice. (They're hardly noticeable on mine when I set brightness so high).

Thanks for that info Benny! So the purple tint thing has to be a defect if you didn't notice it on the other N9. That sucks. You should ask for an exchange. That's what I have done, and I am still impatiently waiting for it.

On that note, now that PR 1.1 is rolling out, I was wondering if anybody noticed those changes Konttorri said about the display over-saturation thing?

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
No change wrt display issues in PR 1.1

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 34 | Thanked: 37 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Rosice, Czech Republic
Mine has issues too (Black 64)

1) Black spots on black-ish background (Feed view with no events or application switcher with no open applications). I wrote 'black-ish' because I expected black to be really black on AMOLED. But it is not Still way better then N900 though..
2) Horrible colors when the screen is dimmed by the light sensor. Very noticeable and really annoying when watching movies at night. Everything gets a strong green tint especially black has dark green spots.
2.1) Over-saturated colors when not dimmed.
3) White and light grey as seen in 'Clock' gets weird grey/green stripes when dimmed
4) There is a clearly visible green line on the right side of the display and a purple one on the left side (in portrait).
5) Depending on the 'darkness' of used grey it has a purple or a green tint. Kinda funny when light and dark grey colors are next to each other and one is green and the other is purple. Funny and sad

Well, I guess 2-5 can be attributed to the Pentile matrix and I'll just have to live with it. I tried to make photos of my screen but N900 is not good enough for something like this

Edit: I've also seen this ugly thing happening on my N9:

Originally Posted by DeeGee View Post
I'm also seeing the stripes. They show up in both portrait and landscape, but they are much easier to see in landscape. It looks like there is a "invisible line" that bleeds everything that's on the line through the screen (upwards when in landscape, in portrait it's to the right).
So there might be just white on the invisible line and there's no stripes on the screen. But when black text hits the line, the black bleeds through the whole screen.
Here's a oh, so wonderfull paint illustration...
http://bayimg.com/FaKLLaadj
It's really hard to get proper photos of it, because it's not that bad, and when trying to get photos you actually need to make them bit blurry or the lines disappear into the moire noise.

Last edited by celebrant; 2011-11-15 at 10:50.

When adjusting the brightness to low and using the N9 in a dark room (avoid light sensor adjust the brightness to high), some strange lines appear on my N9 screen, very noticeable on white/grey background.

Same as the picture below.

Does anyone have this problem?

Uhmmm, isn't that a samsung you're rocking? We can see the samsung label at the top of the phone in the 3rd pic. The first pic looks like the notification android drawer as well. What kind of stunt are you pulling here?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hotnikkelz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 34 | Thanked: 37 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Rosice, Czech Republic
Originally Posted by bitrevo View Post
I believe that these pictures were meant to serve as an example. I tried to describe those lines in my post (number 3) now we have a photo of it.

The Following User Says Thank You to celebrant For This Useful Post:
Posts: 28 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Mauritius
Originally Posted by aegis View Post
You're not alone.

I got my N9 on Saturday and noticed the pink fringing on white text and the left edge of a white panel straight away. Sadly that seems to be an issue with pentile AMOLED displays just not being as good as RGB panels. It reminds me of Windows text anti-aliasing. I stare at Mac screens most of the time with occasional switches to Windows so I notice these things. I would hope it could be tweaked though. MacOS on the same panels doesn't have the same issues Windows has so it can be alleviated with software obviously. To me it just looks like the sub-pixel rendering algorithms need a bit of a tweak.

The black spots on dark grey screens I noticed last night watching a video in a dark room and then discovered this thread. I've got a black line about 4mm wide stretching about 2/3rds of the way over the screen about where the volume buttons are. I've got two parallel lines about 4mm wide and 2cm long in the middle of the screen toward the right edge. I've got another blotch near the bottom left of the screen. I only notice these when displaying something dark grey in the dark. I was playing Tron (the movie) on it so you can imagine how distracting dark splotches are on a mostly dark grey movie. (As an aside, the movie player skips frames all over the place on movie files that worked great on my C7 - hope they can get a better performing codec sorted)

The black spot issue is obviously a manufacturing issue and it's very, very disappointing. I don't notice it 99% of the time but I know it's there. When it's such a beautiful and expensive slab of technology, little flaws are not acceptable. If I wasn't enjoying the phone so much otherwise I'd send it back. I figure I'd give it a while to see if Nokia responds to this issue and fixes it in a later production run. Seems pointless getting a replacement just now if it comes from the same production run. Surely they're going to have the same issues with the Lumia 800 which shares a similar screen?

The automatic screen brightness adjustment also seems to have a life of it's own. I hope that's fixable in software also because it does ramp up and down a bit too aggressively.

Love the phone and OS but I'm somewhat disappointed by the screen.
I have exactly the same black (blacker?) spots on my N9, down on the lower left. I think it's definitely a manufacturing defect, whereby when assembling the glass & screen, this black smudge appears.

I also noticed it while watching Tron! :P

Originally Posted by bitrevo View Post
When adjusting the brightness to low and using the N9 in a dark room (avoid light sensor adjust the brightness to high), some strange lines appear on my N9 screen, very noticeable on white/grey background.

Does anyone have this problem?
I also have this issue. & you don't need to have a black screen to view it. Open the gallery & view any photo. You feel that there's some kind of extra layer between the screen distorting the optical properties.