Active Topics

only one spring is needed , not all , at least in my case , i've used 2 thermal pads between loose gsm chip and shield . no problems yet

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Alecsandru For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
I love thease ideas:yahoo: btw in this case u should hav used a blower then a iron

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nokiabot For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
This solution:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...28#post1321128

Is much better than putting anything between sim card and cover. While it may help at the beginning, additional "bending" of PCB due to added thickness, may result in worsening over time.

While springs under EMI shield are also workaround, no "proper" fix (which would be reflow), it's still much more sane, than stuffing things under cover, or hammering randomly.

/Estel
Estel

I agree the next steps will be to carry out a proper fix. I may get around to the actual repair over the weekend.

You raised a valid point and I feel compelled to stress the following: Anyone attempting to perform temporary repairs and inventive ones at that should be aware it is entirely at their own risk and they alone are accountable for any loss of property, damage or injury to themselves or others.

I am sure anyone taking a hammer or gluing springs to PCB inside their phone will be aware of this. I am certain it is a last resort to avoid disruption of service and good clean Nokia fun!

On the other hand I was brought up watching Blue Peter and sticky back plastic has been my savior for many years and sometimes outlasted actual repairs under warranty. Never under estimate the power of sticky back plastic or in my case cut down store cards and a dead sim.

I was reluctant to use anything that might mess with the EMI shield. Another very good point of yours although nothing has been stuffed under the cover that would make it dangerous besides this is a developers phone and probably out of warranty and I have not come across a successor to this phone yet despite the advances in mobile technology recently. I will buy a newer Tablet PC from China first.

Last edited by bacon_station; 2013-03-13 at 23:17.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bacon_station For This Useful Post:
It was next to impossible to identify the exact point of failure on the mainboard.

After further tests I know it is not the sim socket.

Evidence suggests it is the NMP #4377210 DBB - Digital Baseband Processor

I am unable to fix this myself I imagine it would require something like a BGA rework station.

My latest more permanent temporary fix was to place a cut down sim the same size as a nano sim on top of the 4377210 and replace the venilated shield.

I have not noticed any increase in temperature and it is now working fine and seems to be holding it's own.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bacon_station For This Useful Post:
Spoke too soon the phone took another tumble and the USB port has now fallen out.

Picked up another off ebay with just a broken LCD. Replaced the LCD and I am back in business!

The other one is now going away to be repaired by an engineer.

Last edited by bacon_station; 2013-09-20 at 06:17.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bacon_station For This Useful Post:
I've applied the spring workaround on december 2012 on my stepfather's phone and it still working. Just for record.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to saponga For This Useful Post:
Know anyone with a re-work station who can mend it for you?

The Following User Says Thank You to bacon_station For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by carlos2005 View Post
There are many topics about this problem.
In my case, my phone gets no SIM icon when the battery is low, but it used to get no SIM icon even when it was almost full (more than 70%).
Usually the problem appeared when I used data (skype call over mobile data (not wifi) was the best way to end up with no telephony functions). It's not happening regularly, but it has something to do with low battery, high cpu load - even opening conversation made it happen (maybe the phone is overheated, or the SIM contacts are overheated).
When the problem occured. I was not able to connect to gprs data immediately after that, I finished in no SIM icon loop. When I waited 5 minutes and let the phone connect to network automatically, everything was good.

What kind of paper do you use under the battery? And how big is that? Is it under the whole battery space or just where the SIM card is located?
I'd like to try some more solutions, cause I have no doubt that in my case it'll get worse (as it did before). Any help appreciated.

I have the exact same issue with my phone, been happening for a year now. Haven't found a solution for it yet. Happens most of the time when I'm either using GPRS or charging the phone. The SIM icon keeps showing up and then I get back my 2G/3G signal again. I noticed this happens when the battery is either low, or maybe at times even when the battery is full but when GPRS is being used.

Any solution to this? I've not overclocked my phone and it doesn't seem to happen when making phone calls.

The Following User Says Thank You to DaReaper For This Useful Post:
Posts: 110 | Thanked: 59 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Bangalore
Images attached in the first post and in this post:
are not available anymore. Could some of you upload the pics again? Thanks.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sandeep For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Sandeep View Post
Images attached in the first post and in this post:
are not available anymore. Could some of you upload the pics again? Thanks.
I'll do that later. Thanks.
EDIT: Done. Although i have to say that the phone did start to show the same problem about a year or so after this fix. But i still think that it's worth.

Last edited by saponga; 2014-10-19 at 16:36.