Hello, I got my N900 today but I seem to have a problem with it. I cant connect to the wifi at home. I have 3 laptops, ps3, iphone, and N95 connected to this Wifi, and they all work with no problems.

The wifi sign at the top is just blinking and when I try to open something that requires internet I get a message saying authorisation(spelling) failed. I have tried restarting the modem and router, I have restarted the phone several times, but nothing seems to work. I went outside for awhile and when I came back the N900 did connect by itself. But that lasted maybe 5 min, and then it went back to not working.

Any advice on what I can do? Is my phone broken?

I have DLink-Dir301 router. Dont know if that has anything to do with it.

Any help is greatly appreciated

Zaky,

First confirm it really is the wifi and not the way the device is interpreting any type of security key. Change your WiFi hotspot to open and broadcast with no security. If the N900 is able to connect to an open WiFi network something else may be going on.

Posts: 71 | Thanked: 65 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Brighton, UK
This sounds similar to problems others have reported when the wifi is set to power saving mode. As I don't (yet) have an N900 I can't tell you exactly how to switch power saving off but a search will probably find it. Good luck!

lost711, I will try that right away. Thank you for your fast reply!

It does ask for the WPA code, I type it in and a minute later I get the authorization failing. But just incase the mobile can connect to the open WiFi, would that suggest that my router is the problem? (Id rather have the router changed than waiting for a new n900 xD)

PhilE, I have the power saving turned off already. It doesnt work with or without

Posts: 245 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ CT USA
do you have a right security settings selected on your phone ?

Amorek13, I believe I do. Its the WPA security code that I use on my router. Its not alot of settings I can change on the phone tho.

Posts: 1,665 | Thanked: 1,649 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Praha, Czech Republic
So... Way more information needed, like exact used settings... Did you manually set up the connection on the N900, or what are the steps?

Andre Klapper, I will try to tell exactly how im doing it.

I got my phone, and went directly to menu -> settings.

-> Internet connections -> connections -> new -> next.

I didnt change the connection name, so its "Connection 1" and connection type: Wi-Fi. -> Next

Then it asks "Scan for available Wi-Fi networks?" -> Yes

It finds my router "Dir-301". I highlight it and press next.

Then I need to enter "Pre-shared key" So I type in my password "Donald7" and press Next.

Now it says "Connection setup: Complete." I can press Finish, previous or advanced.

I have tried going in to advanced and trying to turn the "power saving" setting off, and I have tried with the "power saving" setting on.

After I press Finished -> Done.

Now the Wi-Fi icon is blinking by the battery icon. It lasts about 1 minute and after that it says " authorization failed" -> Enter the WPA password again.

PS:

I use the norwegian language, but I changed to english before I was writing this so that I wouldnt say anything wrong. But now with english language the phone is acting totally diffrent. I just got "Internal error...." and I didnt have time to read the rest before the message went away. And also, after the Wi-Fi icon has finished blinking it just dissapears and nothing else happens. I dont get the prompt about WPA password. The Wi-Fi just goes off.

I have not done anything on my phone, since I got it yesterday. Just charged it and tried getting the Wi-Fi to work. Im a bit scared now that I saw the internal error message ><! I hope what Im saying is understandable.

Posts: 1,665 | Thanked: 1,649 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Praha, Czech Republic
Hmm, this is weird. Feel free to file a bug report in bugs.maemo.org if even disabling Power Save Mode (PSM) does not help here, but note that some modes are currently not supported, like:
https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=417
https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1017

Get to the basics. switch of security on your wi-fi router and try.