Active Topics

Posts: 804 | Thanked: 1,598 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gdynia, Poland
[OT]What router do you have? I can successfully connect to my router (in the building) from 15-20 meters (haven't checked further, but the reception is quite good, so I guess I could get 30-40m easily), which gives me (pessimistic variant) over 700 square meters of signal (the circle: 3.14*15*15). If you can connect to your router via wifi from 10 meters, you already have over 300 square meters (3.14*10*10 = 314).[/OT]

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to misiak For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
It looks like nokiabot has his linear and square metres (or even meters) mixed up. Covering a linear distance of 300m may be a challenge with a single router, especially in a built-up area. But it is no problem with multiple routers, even on the same network. What is your topology? With the distances involved I am assuming a number of individual houses. If at least a third of them have WiFi routers, problem sorted. At least one router should always be withing your reach. Of course you would all need to share login passwords but you said you were a close-knit community, right?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
I do not have a wifi router and i am not getting your calculation i think i mean i should be able to use the connection from the base to 300 mts in all direction and if you ask about interference then its very little

The Following User Says Thank You to nokiabot For This Useful Post:
Posts: 804 | Thanked: 1,598 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gdynia, Poland
Originally Posted by nokiabot View Post
I do not have a wifi router and i am not getting your calculation i think i mean i should be able to use the connection from the base to 300 mts in all direction and if you ask about interference then its very little
300m in any direction makes 3.14*300*300 = 282600 square meters See http://www.mathsisfun.com/geometry/circle-area.html for calculating area based on circle radius We are now talking highly off topic

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to misiak For This Useful Post:
nokiabot, you might want to look at proximate which is an open sourced version of Nokia Instant Community which using the WiFi radio in an ad-hoc method but using voice instead of messages can be a big drain on bandwith and perhaps latency. Even sending voice messages can be a drag.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kingstu For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by misiak View Post
300m in any direction makes 3.14*300*300 = 282600 square meters See http://www.mathsisfun.com/geometry/circle-area.html for calculating area based on circle radius We are now talking highly off topic
you might be offtopic but good reply to the post i am looking at it

Originally Posted by kingstu View Post
nokiabot, you might want to look at proximate which is an open sourced version of Nokia Instant Community which using the WiFi radio in an ad-hoc method but using voice instead of messages can be a big drain on bandwith and perhaps latency. Even sending voice messages can be a drag.
hola thats a great thing to try btw how you search those things??

So guys will anyone tell or try whats the maximum distance in meters that the n900 can operate in wifi?? In clear line of sight

i think thats the actual question as i would be limited by the rx tx power of the n900??

Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by nokiabot View Post
you might be offtopic but good reply to the post i am looking at it
Off-topic: how old are you anyway?

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to reinob For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by reinob View Post
Off-topic: how old are you anyway?
very bad question Btw i am 20 years old but a bit na a byte weak in mathematics anyway any solution to achive that feat in 2013 ¿ cheap enough 300 meters is minimum requirment

Tags
nokia m900, peer-to-peer