Notices


Reply
Thread Tools
Feathers McGraw's Avatar
Posts: 548 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Jul 2014 @ UK
#61
Originally Posted by wicket View Post
How about the Neo Freerunner, GTA04 and Neo900? They are aware of the Neo900 project's existence as I mentioned it to them when filled in the Librem phone survey they put out several months ago. Their hardware design that separates the baseband from the CPU and has hardware kill switches is clearly influenced by the Neo900. I find it rather cheeky of them to claim to be the first.
Until the neo900 actually ships I think it's fair to treat it like it doesn't exist. Other than that, I think we're pretty much on the same page...I'd love this thing to exist but I'm very skeptical about its chances of being delivered.
 

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Feathers McGraw For This Useful Post:
wicket's Avatar
Posts: 508 | Thanked: 2,362 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Colombia
#62
Originally Posted by Feathers McGraw View Post
Until the neo900 actually ships I think it's fair to treat it like it doesn't exist. Other than that, I think we're pretty much on the same page...I'd love this thing to exist but I'm very skeptical about its chances of being delivered.
I was referring to the Neo900 project, not the device. I know there is still a possibility that it may fail and we may never see the device but as I can still see regular, recent updates to their Git repositories, I think it's fair to treat it as if the project does exist. My complaint was that Purism claim to be "the first to seriously attempt this" when quite clearly this is not true. Even if there is still no device, I would at the very least assert that Neo900 have attempted it, not to mention the Freerunner and GTA04.
__________________
DebiaN900 - Native Debian on the N900.

Mobile devices with mainline Linux support - Help needed with documentation.

"Those who do not understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." - Henry Spencer
 

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to wicket For This Useful Post:
Feathers McGraw's Avatar
Posts: 548 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Jul 2014 @ UK
#63
Originally Posted by wicket View Post
My complaint was that Purism claim to be "the first to seriously attempt this" when quite clearly this is not true. Even if there is still no device, I would at the very least assert that Neo900 have attempted it, not to mention the Freerunner and GTA04.
Yeah that's fair enough. Maybe they consider the neo900 to be different as it's not going to ship with a fully free OS provided by the neo900 team (just the bits you'd need to build one)? Maemo isn't fully free after all - most of the SW focus of the neo900 has been around porting Maemo to it.
 

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Feathers McGraw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,475 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
#64
I was just wondering. Is this device as pure as Ivory soap?

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/...e-other-56-100

What fraction of it do you think is not FOSS or not gnu compliant?
 

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
Posts: 205 | Thanked: 1,108 times | Joined on Jul 2014
#65
Originally Posted by wicket View Post
Their campaign contains buzzwords that don't make any sense. WTF is "IP-native mobile handset" supposed to mean?
I think what they are meaning here is that they are pushing TCP/IP based solutions over the typical GSM based options, and they are doing this by partnering with Matrix.org to produce a device with VoIP, video calling, and instant messaging out of the box rather than third-party bolt-ons.
__________________
SirenSong v0.5
Like my work? buy me a beer
 

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to r0kk3rz For This Useful Post:
wicket's Avatar
Posts: 508 | Thanked: 2,362 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Colombia
#66
Originally Posted by r0kk3rz View Post
I think what they are meaning here is that they are pushing TCP/IP based solutions over the typical GSM based options, and they are doing this by partnering with Matrix.org to produce a device with VoIP, video calling, and instant messaging out of the box rather than third-party bolt-ons.
You could well be right there, however this sounds very similar to what Nokia introduced back in 2009 with the N900 when they allowed us associate accounts for SIP, Jabber, Skype, Google Talk, etc. with a contact. It all worked out-of-the-box, no third-party bolt-ons required. They didn't necessarily promote IP services over GSM services but they certainly made them first class citizens.

So that's yet another false "first ever" claim from Purism.
__________________
DebiaN900 - Native Debian on the N900.

Mobile devices with mainline Linux support - Help needed with documentation.

"Those who do not understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." - Henry Spencer
 

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wicket For This Useful Post:
Posts: 205 | Thanked: 1,108 times | Joined on Jul 2014
#67
Originally Posted by wicket View Post
You could well be right there, however this sounds very similar to what Nokia introduced back in 2009 with the N900 when they allowed us associate accounts for SIP, Jabber, Skype, Google Talk, etc. with a contact. It all worked out-of-the-box, no third-party bolt-ons required. They didn't necessarily promote IP services over GSM services but they certainly made them first class citizens.

So that's yet another false "first ever" claim from Purism.
Indeed, on the more mainstream side of things this is the same with an iPhone you get iMessage (instant messaging) and Facetime (VoIP and video calling). And I think BlackBerry did it even before Nokia with Blackberry Messenger, so there's tons of prior art here.

But anyway, since when has marketing wank ever been 100% accurate without any hyperbole?
__________________
SirenSong v0.5
Like my work? buy me a beer
 

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to r0kk3rz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,475 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
#68
Just looking at the numbers. After about 3 weeks Purism is at around 20% of its goal with about 6 weeks to go. Need to raise another million dollars. Right now, I'm not too optimistic about them making it... Hope they succeed.
 

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
Posts: 181 | Thanked: 291 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Estonia
#69
 

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to acrux For This Useful Post:
mikecomputing's Avatar
Posts: 3,350 | Thanked: 4,534 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
#70
For those who has missed it: They will use an open ARM platform not some shitty Qualcom garbage with closed drivers instead they will use:

https://www.nxp.com/products/microco...s:IMX6X_SERIES

or:

https://www.nxp.com/products/microco...rs:IMX8-SERIES
__________________
Sweden means democracy terrorists go **** yourself we will never give up our freedom!

telegram @mike7b4
mastodon.social @mike7b4
 

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Reply

Thread Tools

 
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:57.