Originally Posted by c_legaspi View Post
get your becomeroot here:
http://mg.pov.lt/770/dists/mistral/o.../binary-armel/
Sweet! I just got through replying to a similar post on how to use the bora version but this is much safer.

There is an Extras repo for Bora, just no auto builder afaik. Therefore it's quite possibly for developers to upload their binary debs to this Extras repo.

The other issue is developers forgetting about 770 owners; if they seem to, do ask them if they can do a 770 version (and if the worst comes to the worst someone else can compile the source and upload the binary for you).

Posts: 880 | Thanked: 264 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Cambridge, UK
I too didn't realise that 770 dev's were simply closing down repositories.

Ok, so many people don't care, but they will when the n800 repos go the same way, and then the n810 when the 900 comes out.

I'd very much like to keep my 770 alive, so please try and migrate 770 repos - disk space is, basically, free! thanks!

Posts: 80 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Mableton, GA USA
Originally Posted by speculatrix View Post
I too didn't realise that 770 dev's were simply closing down repositories.
That's the type of attitude that drove me away from proprietary software in the first place.

Open source doesn't work if the maintainers of the software continue to push the Windows mindset of upgrade-upgrade-upgrade...

Last edited by rcsteiner; 2008-12-08 at 08:32.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by speculatrix View Post
Ok, so many people don't care, but they will when the n800 repos go the same way, and then the n810 when the 900 comes out.
Well, first, the N800 and the N810 repositories are the same thing. They both use OS2008, it's all the same software, so any distinction here is pointless.

Second, this is exactly why we've been pushing Extras. Extras wont just close down without notice, and it isn't affected by the whims of random developers. The software will always be there, and (now that the sources are there, too) when new Maemo releases are out, we just push an automatic recompile and without even having to wait for developers to upload new binaries.

So, yeah, there'll be some suffering in the short term (as we've already seen), but the long term benefit for everybody is going to be overwhelming positive.

Users will get fast, reliable, centralized access (right on their devices, right out of the box) to lots of high-quality software.

Developers will get a strong infrastructure for distributing their products, autobuilders and (eventually) autotesters to simplify releases and improve QA, and instant access to the whole of the tablet userbase.

Nokia will get a much stronger and more appealing platform.

Everybody wins in the end, just give it a little time.

That's the type of attitude that drove me away from proprietary software in the first place.
Most of these apps are open source.

Open source doesn't work if the maintainers of the software continue to push the Windows mindset of upgrade-upgrade-upgrade...
I'm sure you could compile your own (or at least I'm sure there's someone out there with a 770 who'd be willing to compile these missing packages, assuming they used to be available and there's source about.)

Tags
770, extras, repositories