Active Topics

Anybody else find that the gronmayer.it repositories site is inaccessible?

I get a 'Fatal error' message when trying to access it.

I was only looking for leafpad. Is it ported to OS2008 yet? I can only find it for OS2007.

Yes, same here: "Fatal error".

We wouldn't need this site if all Maemo software was in the Maemo repository backed up by a bunch of mirrors. I can remember there were some efforts By Nokia for doing this some time ago. I wonder if this will ever happen.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Same here, it's been down since last week for me.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Yes, it's amazing that the Gronmayer site immediately became so essential. It reminds me of a chess site called The Week in Chess. Once upon a time, someone dedicated himself to sending out information about what was going on in the chess world. As if there wasn't a giant organization that should have already been doing that. It became central to the world of chess, and still is.

The Gronmayer site did what it was obvious that Nokia or Maemo should have been doing all along. Here's hoping it returns.

The Following User Says Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by iamthewalrus View Post
We wouldn't need this site if all Maemo software was in the Maemo repository backed up by a bunch of mirrors. I can remember there were some efforts By Nokia for doing this some time ago. I wonder if this will ever happen.
This is not the issue (actually, Extras is mirrored by akamai). The issue is getting developers to use Extras. X-Fade has been putting a lot of work into ironing out the various complaints that have led developers into putting together their own individual repositories, so things are definitely looking up, though.

Originally Posted by geneven View Post
The Gronmayer site did what it was obvious that Nokia or Maemo should have been doing all along. Here's hoping it returns.
What, provide a list of repositories? We've had that for a long while on the maemo.org wiki (I still miss the giant Application Catalog wiki page that you'd check every few days to see if some developer had slipped in a brand new application complete with screenshots in the middle of the page ). The real issue is getting developers to use the maemo repositories (Extras and Extras-devel) so we wont even need to think about more than two.

Last edited by GeneralAntilles; 2008-05-18 at 11:14.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Posts: 696 | Thanked: 1,012 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Asturies, Spain
<mode dream on>
The gronmayer site would be useless if all developers would upload her applications to extras and extras-devel
<mode dream off>

Now there are no excuses, autobuilder, web-based upload, extras-devel to extras promoter...

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
I don't know if you've noticed, but the Gronmayer site doesn't just provide a list of repositories, it makes the repositories easy to use. It even makes finding the status of a particular repository simple. It makes finding which repository a particular program belongs to easy to discover. It makes adding a bunch of repositories at the same time a snap.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
I don't know if you've noticed, but the Gronmayer site doesn't just provide a list of repositories, it makes the repositories easy to use. It even makes finding the status of a particular repository simple. It makes finding which repository a particular program belongs to easy to discover. It makes adding a bunch of repositories at the same time a snap.
..unless it is down, and the owner won't fix it for whatever reason like now. That's why I'd rather have just a few well maintained repositories, even though Nokia has had its share of repository troubles.

Posts: 121 | Thanked: 172 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ sofia, bulgaria
any hope for fixing it soon?

Tags
extras