Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
Looks great indeed!
I personally never used the Gamepad/arrows on tohkbd but loved the overall haptics of the button design.
Only they maybe could be as big as possible for more typing comfort.
Spilt keyboard is a good idea, at least abreviating from virtual kbd use.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,478 | Thanked: 9,871 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Shanghai / London
Some insight just for our community:

I was working on a "angled" slider on the beginning, similar to N97/E7/N950, but a lot problem arose:

- Too much moulding cost.
- Structure is a lot more complicated.
- Easier to break, less durability... Which means harder on warranty.
- The phone on the top will be too heavy to sit, if thicken the keyboard with battery, it is too chunky.

So we get back to the flat design...

The product is targeted into having premium quality, which means the best moulding and material, industrial robust structure, and comfort typing experience. There will be extra batteries and back-light under keypads.

The campaign "coming soon" page will hopefully be created in 1 or two days.

The keyboard is set a similar price tag as TOHKBD, it will be worth every penny. (hopefully)

I really wish this product could be successful and then will consider doing an all-in-one slider with tilted angle screen.

The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by freemangordon View Post
Imagine that we have that open bootloader, octocore, 4GB, LTE and whatnot imaginary device - so what? Without us spending time on porting packages, Fremantle will not magically rebase itself - it needs somebody putting effort on it. The less devs do that effort, the longer time it will take. With nobody doing it, it will never happen.

just my 2 cents
Well at least I'm putting effort on the hardware side.

I agree with you, there is a lot of useless brainstorming topics.

But I hope this time I could change.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
TOHKDB does indeed have key weight problems - I could not type nearly as fast as on N900 simply because of how much force was required to press the keys. To the point that I rarely use it if not coding or doing something that requires a control key.
Which said: the control and arrow keys are some of the best parts of having a physical keyboard.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to taixzo For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
so porting is a question of raising interest within the "porters scene"?
How to do it on win/with basis for porters? Simply buy a zplay and lend it around as some sort of loaner? Attach some monetary reward and do a contest?
All ports rely on personal interest of individual porters afaiu.
How to prevent a nexus 7/9 scenario: nice HW but porting effort seem to have stopped in early stage.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mosen View Post
so porting is a question of raising interest within the "porters scene"?
How to do it on win/with basis for porters? Simply buy a zplay and lend it around as some sort of loaner? Attach some monetary reward and do a contest?
All ports rely on personal interest of individual porters afaiu.
How to prevent a nexus 7/9 scenario: nice HW but porting effort seem to have stopped in early stage.
I had a bit of a further look into the porting side of things, it seems it only has a partially working cm-14 port, which we don't support yet (up to cm-13).

More crucially, the Moto Mods part of the device isn't working under Cyanogen but I guess middleware will have to be created for Sailfish anyway.

As for how to approach it? jump into the #sailfishos-porters channel and talk to us, maybe someone wants to do it, maybe someone really wants a keyboarded device too and is willing to work to make it happen? who knows its up to those individuals as to how they spend their time.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to r0kk3rz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 69 | Thanked: 195 times | Joined on Jan 2013 @ kerala
For a maemo 5 with minimum 2 GB of RAM , decent processor , Slider qwerty and 3G/4G Telephony support, Bluetooth , Min 2MP front Camera(I dont care about the back camera), GPS , Big battery - I am willing to pay upto 600 USD. Ready to compromise of everything else , other than what i have mentioned above.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to padmaraj.ravi For This Useful Post:
Some more update: after some poll at folks around me and general people's opinion, most of the users prefer to have the arrow/navigation at bottom right corner rather than on the left, similar to N900/N950 or the Motorola sliders. Because we are crowd funding the device, in order to attract more "general" users, I will probably adapt common design...

I personally like the arrows on the left though...

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
I'm ambidextrous so both are OK

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Feb 2017 @ Transylvania
Originally Posted by chenliangchen View Post
After some careful consideration and evaluation I decided to execute this idea in another slightly different method:

Instead of building a complete slider phone, I will do a Slider Keyboard Mod for the Moto Z series.
This is really awesome idea. From what I can see everyone tries to take on too much and the weight of it all cripples any project attempting something like this. By using a commercial product like the Moto Z we are able to leverage most of the work being done, and focus on adding the features the community desires. This minimizes the problem that pichio described earlier since its lowers the amount of effort needed into something closer to what people can manage.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Valkyr For This Useful Post:

Tags
crowdfunding, hwkbd, tainted love