Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
Here's another one for you all to complain about: Where's the stylus.

If this leak is true, I for one am very happy with Nokia's directions and decisions. As before, I will DEFINITELY be picking up one of these at launch.

1) Size. The smaller size make it far more pocketable (the N810 is just too large). Plus the market response for similarly sized devices (iPhone, Pre, G1), has been nothing short of amazing.

2) Great hardware features. The hardware features are quite impressive and very complete.

3) A touch based interface focus. The biggest problem with the current tablets is the desktop paradigm on a handheld device. Linux is not a "desktop OS," just an OS. Get rid of the stylus completely; it encourages poor design for a device this size.

4) A Phone built in - One more radio and a bit of code open up the market tremendously. This fills a need provide a compelling reason to purchase the N900 over the competitions products.

5) OVI store - This is a software choice that shows that Nokia is listening to the trends and intends to put more tablets in peoples hands. All of this means more choice for the consumer.

6) Maemo - By all indications, the current tablet line has tanked in the market. Nokia continues to push maemo despite this face. We should be glad they haven't given up on their strategy and vision. This unwavering resolve is inspiring.

YARR!
}:^)~
Capt'n *hearts* the N900

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by chlettn View Post
Quite frankly, current tablets were neither fish nor meat. Too small to be really useful as a productivity device, too big to be taken whereever you go. And by now, they really just don't stand a chance as dedicated web-browsing devices against the newest smartphones which combine good enough web browsing with a ton of other features in a package just small enough to fit in a jeans pocket (which the current tablets certainly don't).

Even without data to back up that statement, I think I'm right when I say that the current three versions of the tablets have been complete commercial failures and the whole line was only kept alive as an R&D playground up to now. And on the other hand, things like the iPod Touch/iPhone have sold millions of units...it's really not hard to see why Nokia changes the tablet's premises.

Assuming that the the MobileCrunch article is accurate, this next-gen Maemo device will be a full smartphone, and I applaud Nokia's move to make it pocket-friendlier (and thus, actually usable as a smartphone). It's the first Maemo device I'd actually consider buying because it seems genuinely useful to me - while the N800/N810 were nice devices, but ultimatively nowhere near interesting enough for me to spend money on them.

And with that, I'm outta here. The negativity about an unannounced device on this board is both ridiculous and annoying, and it's continuously gotten worse in the last half year. A few members seem to be simply posting to point fingers on everything Nokia does and scream "CRAP" - and quite frankly, I really have no interest in this big whine fest once called ITT. Bye.
Well said!

*claps*

YARR!
C900

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by sachin007 View Post
...but that exactly is what the switcher hardware key is for. Why duplicate it when you can do it easily with your thumb?
Using the hardware button is a little slower. To use it, I need to:
  1. move my thumb away from the screen (just a little, but why bother if it's not needed?)
  2. push the button
  3. wait for the menu to draw
  4. move my thumb back to the screen (again, just a small, but unnecessary movement)
  5. press the menu item for the target app

This is versus one on-screen tap for the majority of my task switching in non-full screen. Worst case, I have to tap the screen twice and suffer (Oh, the pain!) a menu draw. And if I do have to open a menu to switch, I can often use the app-specific switch menu and thereby narrow the number of choices I see and from which I need to select.

I'm not saying it's a big difference, and I don't expect I'm a typical user. I'm just saying full screen app switching makes Maemo feel uncomfortably slow and clunky to me.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Posts: 130 | Thanked: 74 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Canada
Originally Posted by mullf View Post
How about a magnifying glass attachment that you slide over the device to magnify the screen to 4.1 inches
*singing the theme from Gilliam's "Brasil"*

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TheRealBubba For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Aisu View Post
Well, I have to say, the E71's keyboard is much smaller than the N810's, but it is so, so, so much easier and quicker to type on. I love typing on my phone, but doing so on my tablet is a hassle...
Nokia did an amazing job on my E71's keyboard
Lets hope they do it with the tablets' successor(s).
I was going to write just exactly that before your post appeared :-)

The predictive word typing is much, much better than in current Maemos too.

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
Using the hardware button is a little slower. To use it, I need to:
  1. move my thumb away from the screen (just a little, but why bother if it's not needed?)
  2. push the button
  3. wait for the menu to draw
  4. move my thumb back to the screen (again, just a small, but unnecessary movement)
  5. press the menu item for the target app
Um, you actually read with a thumb over the screen?

The Following User Says Thank You to Bundyo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
I got used to th N810 keyboard eventually, but it's still far from perfect. They must know that in Finland! (What kind of fingers do they have?) That's why I'd hoped for a better, slightly larger keyboard, not a smaller one.
Size is the least of my worries with the N810 keyboard. You can have a much more tactile, more comfortable keyboard on a much smaller area. The E71 is living proof of that.

In fact, it can feel more comfortable if thumbs have to travel less distance, although that certainly depends on the size of the user's hands.

Another thing...

The press has been LOVING this new tablet design, but in the comments below are negative posts, many of them from users of this forum. Ironic: the individuals that wish the platform (Maemo) to do well, are largely acting against its success.

YARR!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by GeraldKo View Post
Just curious: what do you use the Tablet for?
Web browsing, email, and Twittering via Mauku mostly. The calculator and Password Safe see occasional use. I've used Wayfinder Map a few times. I'm a dedicated user perhaps, but not a power user, I suppose.

Posts: 631 | Thanked: 1,123 times | Joined on Sep 2005 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by lma View Post
IMHO in terms of usability the Maemo UI peaked at 3.x. There were some great ideas there like modifying the UI behaviour according to stylus vs finger input, work being done for resolution independence and so on. I understand there were limitations in the touchscreen hardware of the time, but if those could be worked out somehow instead of abandoning tablet-style usage patterns a lot of customers would be much happier.

It's not quite a deal breaker for me because the underlying system is much better and more open now, and I can tolerate a bad UI up to a point. But given a choice I would definitely go for the UI that optimises the use of screen real estate and the number of taps needed to do things rather than the one with the eye candy.
Having been a member in the Maemo 3 UI design team as well as the upcoming Maemo 5 UI, and having been involved in creating and driving the stylus/finger detection UI's there in Maemo 3, I'd say as the designer of that particular feature that it wasn't a really great idea. It was a neat trick, but I/we massively underestimated the workload of doing it actually properly.

Still, launching finger keyboard while pressing with a finger, launching stylus keyboard while tapping with a stylus, it was a nice idea. Then again, we're going towards finger based UI's, as has been already discussed previously. Nobody is pulling their stylus out just to start typing.

But the latter part actually I don't get. The Maemo 5 UI is far better than Maemo 3, in virtually every regard. Using it is a much more pleasurable experience. Where do you even get the idea that it would be optimized for eye candy? That we wouldn't optimize for the screen estate? That the designers would have suddenly gone insane? How can you even say that?

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to ragnar For This Useful Post:

Tags
disapointed by nokia, dpad, maemo phone, my tablet is crying, n900, nokia gets it wrong, openmoko, rover, rx-51, rx-71 needed, screen size, smartphone, t-mobile