Active Topics

Hi there,

I saw after some searches on the Internet that we need to pay for using the GPS functionality of the N810.

Is it possible to use Google Maps with the N810's GPS to bypass this?

Is it possible to connect the GPS of the N810 via BlueTooth with another device such as a Palm or a Nokia phone that doesn't have any GPS?

Also, I saw that the N800 and the N810 are very different regarding the device specs. I'm planing to use another OS such as Debian or Android. Can you tell me the best N8*0 that can support them please (due to RAM, CPU, etc. perfs)?

Thank you very much.

Last edited by Thireus; 2008-11-04 at 12:41.

Originally Posted by Thireus View Post
Hi there,

I saw after some searches on the Internet that we need to pay for using the GPS functionality of the N810.
No. You need to pay to use routing and navigation from Wayfinder, but the GPS is no problem, and it does come with a free version of Wayfinder that just shows maps.

There is no Google maps program, but there are a number of mapping programs including at least one (Maemo Mapper) capable of using Google maps imagery, among other raster map sources.

Is it possible to connect the GPS of the N810 via BlueTooth with another device such as a Palm or a Nokia phone that doesn't have any GPS?
Yes, if you set it up yourself. It might not make much sense though, as you can buy a better standalone GPS for less than $50.

Also, I saw that the N800 and the N810 are very different regarding the device specs. I'm planing to use another OS such as Debian or Android. Can you tell me the best N8*0 that can support them please (due to RAM, CPU, etc. perfs)?
Don't know where you saw that, but they are actually very similar regarding the device specs. RAM and CPU are identical. A keyboard is obviously good for many non-touchscreen-optimized programs, which points to the N810. Massively expandable storage can be nice, too, though.

The only other differences between the N800 and N810 afair (off the top of my head) are that the N810 has a GPS and the N800 has a built in FM radio tuner.

The Following User Says Thank You to lardman For This Useful Post:
Posts: 900 | Thanked: 273 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Fresno CA USA
Maemo Mapper has free access to a number of map databases, including Google's map database. The Maemo Mapper HowTo at http://fragosTech.com/MaemoMapper has a number of screen shots that with the narritive will give you a good idea of what the ap does and how it works.
Personal Blog -- 3 Joe's Blog

N810 -- 5.2010.33-1

Originally Posted by lardman View Post
The only other differences between the N800 and N810 afair (off the top of my head) are that the N810 has a GPS and the N800 has a built in FM radio tuner.
Wikipedia has the full list of differences.

One feature I wish my N800 had is the N810's transreflective screen. But I can console myself with my two, full-size SD slots

N810 - a bit smaller and flatter, Micro USB connector (instead of the very common mini-B), Limited but useful GPS (with a simple script can export to bluetooth), Transflective, i.e. sunlight readable screen, multicolor indicator LED (blue-only on n800, red=camera, green=charge, blue=message, etc. for n810). Internal 2Gb flash + miniSD (max 16Gb for now - 16Gb micro SD in micro to mini) - n800 has two full size SD slots, one under the battery door, one external. Different batteries but similar runtime. Fixed camera and light sensor (n800 has a rotatable pop-out camera).

Same resolution, same basic OS, same processor, system memory and main flash storage. Same wifi and bluetooth, and even the USB other than the connector. Same headphone and charge connection.

The Following User Says Thank You to tz1 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
I think if you are looking for a good GPS device this is not it. If you want to use it for driving with maemo-mapper it works great. Probably would not be good for geo-caching as its not that accurate, but it works well for driving. So like I said if you want a good GPS this is not it. If you want a multifunction device that you can surf the web, send email and use it for driving, its a good compromise.
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

Posts: 900 | Thanked: 273 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Fresno CA USA
Originally Posted by penguinbait View Post
I think if you are looking for a good GPS device this is not it. If you want to use it for driving with maemo-mapper it works great. Probably would not be good for geo-caching as its not that accurate, but it works well for driving. So like I said if you want a good GPS this is not it. If you want a multifunction device that you can surf the web, send email and use it for driving, its a good compromise.
I'll 2nd that. If you like the N810 but want a really accurate GPS still integrated with the N810's applications you can purchase a bluetooth GPS receiver, about $50. I find the N810 and internal GPS with Maemo Mapper acceptable for driving use but surely not for stuff like geocaching.
Personal Blog -- 3 Joe's Blog

N810 -- 5.2010.33-1

Posts: 12 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Hammond, IN
Having got some answers, may I interest you in a sweet deal?
For $250:
http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?t=24715

Thanks.

Thanks all for your answers.

So this is exactly what I want a "multifunction device that you can surf the web, send email and use it for driving". And I'm interested about the "simple script can export to bluetooth" (tz1).

I'll be back here soon when I'll receive my N810

Sorry shubhamharnal, I prefer buying one in my country due to warranty issues that can involve.

Last edited by Thireus; 2008-11-04 at 12:41.