QStarDict please

Originally Posted by SamGan View Post
We could do with a scientific calculator. The bundled calculator doesn't have sqrt or brackets. It's too basic. I know there is an AlmostTI emulation but it's too complex to use with tiny keys that are very hard to press accurately.

Another app urgently needed is a wi-fi file transfer. Using bluetooth for file by file transfer is inconvenient and not all PCs have bluetooth.

A Parking app using GPS to mark and locate your car would be very useful. In metropolitan centers one can hardly park close to one's destination.

These are staples in any platform and I hope they can be filled soon before developers start on more esoteric apps. I hope someone's listening.
Staples!? wifi transfer and parking app, staples for geeks perhaps but not staples for every platform!

Moderator | Posts: 3,715 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
There is still no any MSN for the N9.

Since GTK is been ported to Harmattan, I really hope that Pidgin will be ported to the N9 too

I would like to have AutoDisconnect, which drops the Internet connection after a specified amount of time.

There is an option in Harmattan, which does basically the (disable background connections, disconnects unused connections), but it also prevents mail/facebook/weather sync in the background, ie. those sync aren't even allowed to start a new connection.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to marrat For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by chrisp7 View Post
Staples!? wifi transfer and parking app, staples for geeks perhaps but not staples for every platform!
These are not geek apps but general apps for ordinary people and found on ios, android, Symbian, WP7 and Bada. I'm not sure what your definition of geek is but it sure doesn't take any extraordinary knowledge to use a parking app or wi-fi transfer app.

The Following User Says Thank You to SamGan For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by SamGan View Post
These are not geek apps but general apps for ordinary people and found on ios, android, Symbian, WP7 and Bada. I'm not sure what your definition of geek is but it sure doesn't take any extraordinary knowledge to use a parking app or wi-fi transfer app.
They are found but hardly staple. The apps of course would be good to have and the geek in me would like all three you suggested. My slightly pointless catty post was commenting on the 'staple' part of your post. Soz.

Evernote
Kindle reader
Zinio reader
...with those three this would be nearly perfect device for me. Unfortunately at least the two latter are apparently not "community" apps. However there wa (is) evernote for N900 so maybe there is some hope with that?

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by HtheB View Post
Since GTK is been ported to Harmattan, I really hope that Pidgin will be ported to the N9 too
Do you know how that's going??
there was a bunch of fremantle stuff being ported to GTK upstream.
And then I think it was to be ported to Qt?
A co. was specially contracted for it IIRC.
Sorry, this is somewhat off-topic.

Posts: 187 | Thanked: 121 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Subang Jaya, Selangor Darul Ehsan, Malaysia
Originally Posted by marrat View Post
I would like to have AutoDisconnect, which drops the Internet connection after a specified amount of time.

There is an option in Harmattan, which does basically the (disable background connections, disconnects unused connections), but it also prevents mail/facebook/weather sync in the background, ie. those sync aren't even allowed to start a new connection.
i was hoping that there exist a way to automatically disable to 'allow background connections' option when I am on mobile data network, however that is not going to be implemented officially by Nokia. Would have to look for workarounds :/

I agree parking application would be nice.

We could also use wifihotspot like on N900 for all of us who cannot use joikuspot.
The problem with the wifihotspot from the N900 is it needs some kernel option that is not in the standard meego kernel so we need a custom kernel as well perhaps. iptables would be nice as well.

I was just looking for a scientific calculator the other day myself. I also found the built in calculator too limiting.

Tags
applications, good news!!!!!!, harmattan, open source