Notices

Originally Posted by ernaveen View Post
True, also from the call menu you will get "Turn Video On" option.

Also one important note, Skype video call works between:

1. Between two N900 devices.
2. Bentween N900 and latest Skype Windows client v4.2 onward.
One more important note, these options to use video call comes only if the above two conditions applies.

Originally Posted by ste-phan View Post
This is wrong information.

We have tested video call between Nokia E71 Running Fring skype and N900 Running LPR1.2 last week ... over 3G network.

What did not work was N900 to MacOSX Snow Leopard running whatever latest version of Skype. 2 Way video did not establish.
Its true, because Skype Mac client still does not support H264 video codec, thats why video does not works.

Last edited by ernaveen; 2010-05-26 at 08:57.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ernaveen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 529 | Thanked: 262 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Eastleigh, Hampshire, UK
So this limitation of n900-n900 or n900 to latest windows client makes this a pretty much non-feature for me. of those people I know with skype very few are windows users, and those who are are probably not up to date with versions.

this is a bit of a dissapointment, I'll have ot try to get everyone using google talk instead, which did work fine.
Check out Witter, a twitter client for N900
http://danielwould.wordpress.com/witter

If Witter isn't working for you, eg crashes/doesn't start, gives errors etc etc. Please run it from x-term using:
run-standalone.sh python2.5 /opt/witter/witter.py

This will generate diagnostic output. Without this I cannot help you.

Posts: 10 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Cyprus
Originally Posted by dwould View Post
So this limitation of n900-n900 or n900 to latest windows client makes this a pretty much non-feature for me. of those people I know with skype very few are windows users, and those who are are probably not up to date with versions.

this is a bit of a dissapointment, I'll have ot try to get everyone using google talk instead, which did work fine.
I have to totally agree. If I own an N900 I probably have friends/family who do not use windows pc's but macs and Linux. This is a bit of a disappointment really..

Yeah, same issue here, most of my relatives using Ubuntu, so no skype video calls with my n900 :-(

just to further clarify - you can also initiate a video call from PC to n900 as long as you have the latest skype client. the video i posted earlier in this thread was of a call initiated that way. prior to updating my laptop skype client to the latest, the video wasn't working for me either.

hey i know skype is awsome n stuff..
but is there a way to VIDEO call ANOTHER phone through the SERVICE provider?
the n97, 6233 etc had a built in option of video calling other phones just like making a normal phone call.
Is that going to be available?

***** i am so disappointed right now!

i was looking forward to skype video call in PR 1.2, it was the most anticipated feature for me (along with working play button in media player widget )

If Nokia had made it in a way that it would be 99% working it would have been the killer feature for my N900. I was like: Awsum the future has begun and finally the N900 grows further!

But then reality hit me hard when i tried to videocall my friend on ubuntu karmic koala. I had the option to videocall in my contact and did so. But i was only able to see myself on N900. I couldnt see my friend and neither could he see me. Same **** with another friend and his mac book pro. Jeez Nokia not everyone has Windows with skype 4.2!

I am sure there must be a smart workaround or fix, maybe with less quality in the video stream but hey better than nothing.
Smart community members heres your chance to get big honor by cleaning up the **** Nokia dumped on my N900 sundae.

Sorry for being angry but i also have some hope that community will find a solution and i think its time to say thanks for all the great stuff i downloaded from this place so far.

Lets try to make skype video calling more versatile!

Posts: 90 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Houston, Texas
They got the video call and its like the first phone that i seen that actually works and people still complain and its free what more do you want?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kingzeus For This Useful Post:

Tags
bada rox