Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
To follow up on my previous post:

It was just revealed on the Android podcast, that the Action Bar in Honeycomb is actually a fragment!

Why is this a GREAT decision? Because it ensures that app developers can re-use the action-bar fragment on smartphones formatted for the smaller screen (eg. have it scroll off-screen when the screen is scrolled), or have it turned off altogether! The bottom line is this: Honeycomb apps can be made to *easily* accommodate smaller screens in a single APK. Not only do you have architecture independence (SDK), you also get screen independence with a wee bit o' work.

The backwards compatibility ensures that the number of apps will continue to grow without sacrificing compatibility as the OS matures. Those 200K apps in the market will be available for Honeycomb on launch and 300K will be available for Ice Cream Sandwich when it hits. Wonerful.

This just in:
Josh of Engadget just mentioned (in my recording) that he think's he is going to go Android. He mentioned that Android has the functionality that he's looking for, and he's not getting the same from the iPhone/iPad.

The sky is falling.

To listen to the jubilant, yet ignorant blatherings, click here.

The Following User Says Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 271 | Thanked: 107 times | Joined on May 2008 @ Georgia
Gentlemen: is there a web-design app for android?

Something like this; http://webdesignledger.com/tools/10-...-web-designers

Last edited by crasbelize; 2011-02-06 at 06:56.

The Following User Says Thank You to crasbelize For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by crasbelize View Post
Gentlemen: is there a web-design app for android?

Something like this; http://webdesignledger.com/tools/10-...-web-designers
Those are some nice looking apps! Some seem useful enough.

I have no idea if equivalents exist on Android -- actually I'd doubt it.

Here's a video of CM7 (Gingerbread) running on the Tab:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zzwgvzpev2Q

It's early work but it looks GREAT! One benefit mentioned at the end of the video is that the battery life is much improved over the stock ROM -- it seems as if gingerbread battery optimizations are paying off!

I'm also surprised at how many things are already working very well! Surfing appears to be nigh flawless.

I'm looking forward to the CM8 port (my assumed name for Honeycomb port).

Install at your own risk, but even if you do not, this is well work keeping a 'tab' on (ba-dum cha).

Is this real? Honeycomb on the Galaxy Tab!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_Ygo...ure=youtu.be&a

It certainly looks real -- and very, very smooth.

I don't think it's a video pulled from the XOOM, as the XOOM vids are 16:9 aspect ratio (1280x800), and the Tab is a wider format; I don't see any black boxes on the top or bottom, nor anything to suggest that the lower-bar icons or action bar have been cut short (aspect zoom) or distorted (fit to screen). I don't think it's a video pulled from the nook color either, as it would be difficult at best to capture such a stream.

It could be a sped up vid captured from the emulator, though, with finger motions sync'd to the vid.

I hope it's not a hoax.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
Here's an interesting live wallpaper. The Web!

http://www.xda-developers.com/androi...ndroid-device/

This is actually quite useful. You can have your device display a web page rather than an animation or picture. If you're running a web server, I'm sure you could have any manner of info piped to your desktop background.

Does anyone know if there's a homescreen widget that simply grabs and renders an HTTP request (eg. html)? This would be a tremendous tool for those that are skilled enough to wield such a utility.

Here's a good post regarding video chat apps that work well on the Tab:
http://www.thegalaxytab.com/2011/01/...ich-apps-work/

Informative.

The bottom line? The poster chose ooVoo as his client of choice, despite the huge flaw of the Tab's cam video being on its side (do developers even try their apps prior to release?!). The performance looks good, though, and it's nice that they have a Mobile to Win/Mac client.

He also liked Clearsea. It looks very complete and functional. The performance isn't as good (over his WiFi), but there was also a Mobile to Win/Mac client.

My choice? SIP and the client of your choice that supports SIP. Either that or Google Talk. Smaller proprietary clients are hard to actually use as they require that your potential vid-chat-partners use the same client. Something ubiquitous is better.

One more reason to want Honeycomb.

Posts: 1,169 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ sunderland
Originally Posted by Capt'n Corrupt View Post
Not true. If you read the comments, you'll notice that many individuals that have installed custom ROMS report that the market is working perfectly.
then what im seeing with my very own eyes must be an illusion!!!

The Following User Says Thank You to leetut For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,169 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ sunderland
Originally Posted by lemmyslender View Post
I rooted my Huawei S7, and the market website works. The app I installed didn't show up in the menu right away. It was available as a shortcut for the homescreen though, and ran just fine. A reboot cleared up the menu icon (sorta like the N900 )
reboot changes nothing for me,
im only rooted and DONT have a custom ROM
is anyone else 'that actually has a Gtab' having this problem?

The Following User Says Thank You to leetut For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by leetut View Post
then what im seeing with my very own eyes must be an illusion!!!
What I meant to say that it appears not to be blocked. It appears though, that there are some incompatibilities.

I'm not sure what these incompatibilities are, though.

Tags
android envy, buzz..buzz buzz, core failure, crapdroid, galaxy fap, galaxy tab, ipad killer, samsung, tab trolls, tablet envy