Notices

Posts: 39 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ venezuela
This message is to all developers of maemo 5, is that hard to get whatsapp application on our n900, i think is the only thing that all n900 users need, so please try to aport this application.

Posts: 1,048 | Thanked: 979 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ SF Bay Area
Whatsapp is not open source is it? How do you expect us to port it if we don't have the source?

Best ask the people at whatsapp.com to port it.
qgvnotify: Google voice and contacts notifier for diablo and maemo.

If you want to thank me, click the Thanks button.
If you'd like to thank my applications, vote to move them to extras.

The Following User Says Thank You to uvatbc For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,411 | Thanked: 1,330 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Tatooine
try typing 'whatsapp' into that little box up there on the top right of this page with the word 'search' in it

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jedi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 1,408 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ London
I had this image in my head that most owners of N900 were smart. Where they could differentiate between useful/good application and rubbish/marketing gimmick ones.

N900 has a well embedded, high functioning IM capability. Why does anyone need a 3rd Part app?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to afaq For This Useful Post:
Posts: 328 | Thanked: 72 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Venezuela
I agree with Bakry, the whatsapp app is a very useful cross platform mobile IM, with fairly goom compression for low data usage. Unfortunately its a closed source app. I tried contacting them on several occasions to find out if they plan to develop a version for maemo 5, and i was told no

thank you carlon for your comment, please people think about it , if we can have whatsapp for nokia n900 i think any one will buy an n900 coz today is the only phone that can support android, meego, maemo5.

and people will forget the blackberry phone, coz if we have whatsapp we will not need any more blackberry phones.

so i was thinking on a solution, can we make a shortcut of whatsapp from nitdroid but using maemo 5 ?????

Originally Posted by bakry2003 View Post
and people will forget the blackberry phone, coz if we have whatsapp we will not need any more blackberry phones.
I think you haven't understood what a blackberry is and why people use them. It's not for the 3rd party messaging apps.
It's for the mail and calendar integration with BES. Up until quite recently, no respectable sysadmin following SOX or confidentiality practices would allow any other smartphone because he/she didn't have the fine grained access control and remote wipe that BES provides.
Even now, "no one gets fired for using a Blackberry".

so i was thinking on a solution, can we make a shortcut of whatsapp from nitdroid but using maemo 5 ?????
Nitdroid and Maemo 5 are two different OSes. Nitdroid isn't installed in the same way as easy-debian, so I don't see how it could be possible to have a usable link from Nitdroid on your Maemo5 desktop unless someone like VmWare actually releases it's virtualization platform that can support such a thing.

The Following User Says Thank You to uvatbc For This Useful Post:
but here in venezuela they only use it for bb messenger, doesnt have pretty aplications like android or maemo

but here in venezuela they only use it for bb messenger, doesnt have pretty aplications like android or maemo
I won't claim to know the market statistics specific to Venezuela, but across the world, BB is an enterprise product. BBM is the Blackberry way to tap into the non-enterprise markets while also positioning it as an addition to the Blackberry collaboration experience.

Regarding pretty apps: it is true that BB does not have the extremely visible app market that Apple or Google does. Neither does Nokia.
On the other hand, almost all the people who I know who use a BB are crackberries because of the email and IM integration. Only after seeing the app markets in other phones are they tempted to feel unloved...

Posts: 328 | Thanked: 72 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Venezuela
Originally Posted by uvatbc View Post
I won't claim to know the market statistics specific to Venezuela, but across the world, BB is an enterprise product. BBM is the Blackberry way to tap into the non-enterprise markets while also positioning it as an addition to the Blackberry collaboration experience.

Regarding pretty apps: it is true that BB does not have the extremely visible app market that Apple or Google does. Neither does Nokia.
On the other hand, almost all the people who I know who use a BB are crackberries because of the email and IM integration. Only after seeing the app markets in other phones are they tempted to feel unloved...
Hi uvatbc,
I think what bakry2003 is trying to convey is the day to usefulness of a cross platform im app such as cnectd and whatsapp, because they are data oriented apps and data plans tend to be cheaper than calling and sms plans(at least in Venezuela).
I'm aware that nokia has the ovi contacts app which i think is an excellent app although its not quite as good as bbm(at least not for the s60v3) its very useful, however, the smart phone market these days is no longer limited to a few brands and everyone has their preference of OS. With that said, what these (cnectd and whatsapp) apps are trying to do is to integrate the different MOBILE OS on to one unified app, they both already support andriod,symbian,blackberry and apple. One may argue that msn already does that but i think we both know that msn isn't optimized for mobile phones, the compression is far from great which leads to high data consumption, and that defeats the whole purpose.
I know it's not up to maemo developers to port this app due to the fact that its closed source, but i think we have a loud enough voice to persuade apple to develop a maemo version

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to carlon For This Useful Post: