Posts: 462 | Thanked: 550 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Moscow
swapiness = 10
runs smooth enough except switching from task manager to app due to io load 50-75%, managed to open about 5 XTerms, 6 Browser tabs, Contacts, Messaging, FBReader, MediaBox, Modest, RSS, File Browser, Calendar with noticable lag in switching (due to high io load).
I've also got a bit tuned syspart (/usr/share/policy/etc/rx51/syspart.conf)
looking forward getting memory free fully working as it's a big stopper at the moment IMO.

The Following User Says Thank You to 412b For This Useful Post:
Ok, swapolube optimisations removed set to stock values.
Speedpatch removed.

Still lagging a bit once cache is full.
Since I'm not exactly knowledgable on this are there any more values I need to correct?

Code:
 $ cat /proc/swaps
Filename				Type		Size	Used	Priority
/dev/ramzswap0                          partition	120504	120492	-1
/dev/mmcblk0p3                          partition	786424	63204	-2
~ $ cat /proc/sys/vm/*
30000	30001	30002	30003	0	0	0	0

Posts: 3,074 | Thanked: 12,960 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Sofia,Bulgaria
Originally Posted by 412b View Post
swapiness = 10
runs smooth enough except switching from task manager to app due to io load 50-75%, managed to open about 5 XTerms, 6 Browser tabs, Contacts, Messaging, FBReader, MediaBox, Modest, RSS, File Browser, Calendar with noticable lag in switching (due to high io load).
I've also got a bit tuned syspart (/usr/share/policy/etc/rx51/syspart.conf)
looking forward getting memory free fully working as it's a big stopper at the moment IMO.
Will you try page-cluster values 0,1,2 to see if there is any difference?

Re memory free - it is working OK, trust me on that. My understanding is that what happens is the best possible scenario, i.e. instead of notification for a page that was just marked as unused it is immediately overwritten. While we have notifications for the pages that are not immediately overwritten.
For sure there are optimizations to be done, if you look at the code there is a mutex used on write operations.

And for the amount of applications you are testing with - try that on your laptop and tell me how it went

Responsiveness MUCH improved with page-cluster set to 0 and swappiness set to 10

Posts: 2,021 | Thanked: 1,060 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Hong Kong
Originally Posted by freemangordon View Post
@TMavica - and do you thing there is an improvement on responsiveness, or things are just the same?
Yes, I feel the responsiveness is improved, but not a lot

Posts: 244 | Thanked: 354 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Scotland
Intrigued as to how phone-ui is with this added. I'm in the middle of a prepping a reflash to end all reflashes of my phone. Off topic, but so far, the best "feel" gains have been eMMC fully ext3 and swap only on SD card (things like Fapman zip along and I can fuddle with the phone doing other stuff while it's doing it's thing) but the phone-ui still remains a stuttering mess.

Either way, will give this a shot later after work, unless someone has beaten me too it.

Cheers @freemangordon et al, for your continued efforts towards this community and unique piece of hardware

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to gregoranderson For This Useful Post:
@gregoranderson - I would recommend to wait before trying it a little bit, today I will try to make optimizations to the way swap read/write/free requests are handled, at this point compcache does not bring much improvement, while could lead to laggy system from time to time. The "testing" so far was to prove that it is working at all, without oops and hangs.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by gregoranderson View Post
Intrigued as to how phone-ui is with this added. I'm in the middle of a prepping a reflash to end all reflashes of my phone. Off topic, but so far, the best "feel" gains have been eMMC fully ext3 and swap only on SD card (things like Fapman zip along and I can fuddle with the phone doing other stuff while it's doing it's thing) but the phone-ui still remains a stuttering mess.

Either way, will give this a shot later after work, unless someone has beaten me too it.

Cheers @freemangordon et al, for your continued efforts towards this community and unique piece of hardware
Hey, start a new thread on 'the flash to end all re-flashes', this could lead to some interesting discussion!

The Following User Says Thank You to vi_ For This Useful Post:
OK guys, my conclusions so far:

1 - compcache works
2 - Anything above (lets's say) 64-96 MBs for disksize_kb results in a massive swap trashing at some point in time. Yesterday it was the first time for maybe an year I missed a call because the UI was stuck (because of the swap trashing)
3 - using the above size should not harm , only can improve things, but no wonders. I setup my primary phone that way, so will see how it will progress with time.
4- The only viable option so far to get rid of the UI lag is to move swap on SD card. Even if it is class 2 you forget about lagging.

I don't think I can do much more on that, sorry.

Last edited by freemangordon; 2011-09-01 at 07:47. Reason: swap size range

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,021 | Thanked: 1,060 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Hong Kong
I havent swap on sd card, let me trytry