Let me know how it keeps up after longer usage

there should be presented some method how to test different settings with COMPCACHE.

It is very complicated thing. I've found it useful generally, but I've missed phone calls and sometimes the device stalls very weirdly, and I think it is because COMPCACHE and swapset.

As ShadowJK explained on wiki, it doesn't have chances to work properly, until we alter kernel mechanism to handle swap and implement backing swap - whatever it is.

This way, it should gain us *awesome* speed benefits. Of course, I'm taking [b]Shadowjk[/s]'s word on it, because I have absolutely no idea what he is talking about - but, it seems that freemangordon understand it, so we may be on good - yet long - road

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 139 | Thanked: 181 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Oulu, Finland
To me it seems as though the swapping mechanism is just too simple to use swapspaces of remarkably varying speed effectively. It just goes "I'll fill this one and start chucking things on the next one when I have to". And no garbage collection either!

Since everyone always keeps referring to the n8*0s where compcache worked fine, I'm kind of interested as to why. Has anyone checked out what sort of an implementation and rules they used there? Perhaps the applications generally had a much smaller relative footprint?

As for any possible n900 implementation, I don't think there's ever going to be some omnisolution. I mean, there's such a width of types of programs you can run on a n900. Nothing could handle it all, especially since you *can*, if you prefer to, run applications that gulp half a gigabyte of active memory on one go.

Last edited by Raimu; 2012-06-02 at 15:16.

The Following User Says Thank You to Raimu For This Useful Post:
I have KP50 and swapset.
And I have 16 GB CL6 microSD-card inserted, which has 4 partitions and the /dev/mmcblk1p2 is type "Linux swap partition".

But when I reboot N900, sd-card inserted, swapset only enables ramswap but not the SD-swap. I think it should automatically find SD-card swap partition and enable it, or do I remember wrong?

After enabling ramzswap, type the following:

Code:
swapoff /dev/mmcblk0p3 && sleep 1 && swapon /dev/mmcblk1p2 && sleep 1

The Following User Says Thank You to patlak For This Useful Post:
can this work with kp50 ?
As i can see i understand what swap means : it is the using of some space from EMMC or SD card to be used as RAM correct me if i am wrong

i have read the thread (not all of it)
but i dont understand what this can do ..
Please can any one explain this simply ?
Thanks in advance

Yes, default swap usage of N900 is 768MB which are located on the eMMC. Using swap on SD, depending on class and brand, N900 may perform faster. I have both 64MB ramswap enabled and have swap on SD. Even though it's only a class 4, the difference is night and day. I suggest you enable both ramzswap (64MB) and use swap on SD. This way you'll also save your eMMC thus your N900 can last longer

And yes, it works on KP50.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to patlak For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by patlak View Post
After enabling ramzswap, type the following:

Code:
swapoff /dev/mmcblk0p3 && sleep 1 && swapon /dev/mmcblk1p2 && sleep 1
that did the trick, thanks.

But shouldn't swapset do it automatically?

http://maemo.org/packages/view/swapset/
also searches for swap partitions on the SD card and enables them.

Originally Posted by zimon View Post
that did the trick, thanks.

But shouldn't swapset do it automatically?

http://maemo.org/packages/view/swapset/
I don't know, haven't used swapset.