Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
The important thing is not what can be technically done, but who commits to do it. And does it.

Do you want those announcements? Go for them. fwiw I don't have permissions to install them either.

Do you want a sticky for the Newbie forum? Post a new thread there and I will make it sticky.

It's not that I'm here bored without knowing what to do...

YoDude & many other posters in this thread: you have been here for more than a year, you have posted hundreds of times and you have received hundreds of Thanks. You could request moderator permissions and get directly involved, choosing your tasks and going for them.

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
The important thing is not what can be technically done, but who commits to do it. And does it.

Do you want those announcements? Go for them. fwiw I don't have permissions to install them either.

Do you want a sticky for the Newbie forum? Post a new thread there and I will make it sticky.

It's not that I'm here bored without knowing what to do...

YoDude & many other posters in this thread: you have been here for more than a year, you have posted hundreds of times and you have received hundreds of Thanks. You could request moderator permissions and get directly involved, choosing your tasks and going for them.

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesh!
(banging head against the wall)

I don't care what you call the forums or where you move the threads and yet my request gets lumped into those resistant to this change.

All I asked was that if YOU make a substantial change to a policy YOU posted to please acknowledge this change somewhere.

Even if it is strike through tags in the original post, then at the very least someone who is caught in the middle of this debate (as I apparently was when I posted a new thread) will not end up banging their head against the wall.

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Ah sorry, now I understand you. All I did was posting a heads up in the Stiky draft thread wherwe such sticky topic is being discussed: http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...t=28109&page=2

A difference here seems to be that you talk about policies, soldiers and announcements while I just feel these changes as part of an ongoing discussion among peers. We can go for higher formalities once the unstable period of change in this forum is over, don't you think?

The Following User Says Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Geez, missing a few months of debate here makes ME feel like a newb!

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Geez, missing a few months of debate here makes ME feel like a newb!
Do you feel you need your own forum? Does the current user title scheme on the site intimidate you? Would you like to see George Wendt eating beans in a movie?

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
I had my own forum once.

No.

NO.

Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
I had my own forum once.
I think that's a yes. He had his own once and is now missing it.

Posts: 263 | Thanked: 77 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Sigtuna, Sweden
There is, I think, another aspect of where to post beginners questions,
and that is how to easily find them.
What I mean is:
It should not be to difficult for "newbies" to find threads they understand enough to learn from.
And for those who have passed the beginners stage and want to help,
finding questions within their capacity should not require to much searching.

I know, these are unobtainable ideals on such a varied and complex forum.
( Wikis and Tablet School are a great aid.)

Directing uncertain beginners to ask in "general" might be a good start.
Easier questions could be allowed to rest there a bit before being moved to their proper forum,
making them easy to find.
( I am thinking of the future expected increase of questions.)

Genevens idea of a "free-fire zone" might also help.

In advanced search, being able to chose between an OR and an AND search would be nice.
( or possibly I have not found out how to do that )

- - - just some thoughts from beginning to learn to use this forum.
I've learned a lot here, but it also took some searching.

The Newbie forum has been moved to Old.

Newbies and anybody posting a new thread are encouraged to look at the sticky topics for guidelines and links to basic and frequently asked information. In case of doubt General can be used, and moderators will move the threads to the right place if needed.

Please do help newbies posting their questions in the place and in the way that will be more useful for them to get answers.

The Following User Says Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:

Tags
forums, improvement, newbie