Notices

Originally Posted by joshua.maverick View Post
Okay, I'm going to build a new icon set for my first "theme" so first thing I'd like is if community members can post some icons or links to icons that they DO like, then I can work off of those, and create a Maemo.Org theme that is boom.
It would be awesome if you could make a theme with icons from the HTC leo, those are nice slick icons.

Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
Crappy WinMo ... I don't like WinMo.

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by joshua.maverick View Post
iphone icons are wack. The Nokia ones are strong, a bit TOO childish looking, but I do like the overall style for sure.
The Maemo 5 icons are clearly vector-based which is a Good Thing. Windows 3.1 didn't have that hehe. The icons remind me of KDE (I'm GNOME user)... which is OK btw.

I'd rather not see too many sharp edges in icons though, which isn't easy, but something the iPhone icons do very well. I don't call that childish, although 'round' equates to 'female' aspects whereas 'sharp' equates to 'male' aspects, so I can see where such is drawn from, and I can imagine a business user wouldn't like such. What they do very wrong, is that they have that red icon for pending stuff like e.g. 2 e-mails (which is then totally not synced with IMAP server) while for example the Weather icon just shows a sun with 23c and the calendar also shows a date. The home screen is supposed to be informative yet these icons aren't! Not good...

PS: I hope you notice some of the 'roundness' changes in various aspects of the Nokia N900 and Maemo 5, I surely did! For starts the slight curve on left and right side of the device.

Originally Posted by RTbar View Post
IMO I don't like them
I like them very much, they are as good as the ones on the hero (i owned one!).

And with the Nokia Sans font its the unique Nokia feel that makes the device even better.

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Those of you that hate these icons... how about being constructive and start up your own icon theme, that way the entire Maemo community can benefit.

The Following User Says Thank You to zerojay For This Useful Post:
Personally I absolutely love the Oxygen icons, and since they're GPL, I imagine it'll be very easy to find a KDE theme or just a Oxygen icon set option...

Some similar/largely-based-on icons sets I found right now and which I love can be found here:

"oxygen-refit" (may just be the oxygen icons, dunno exactly )
example:

(click->big)

Gnome Crystal Diamon Icons
example:

examples of some oxygen icons:

(click->big)

Anyway, the best bet is to try something personal that you like and that fits best with the N900
hopefully we'll like it too.
Good work!

The Following User Says Thank You to thecursedfly For This Useful Post:
Posts: 805 | Thanked: 440 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Mississauga, On
Okay, so I'm hoping during this week I'll have some time to start with the icons, can I get some reference material from people and I'll combine them with my own twist, I'm no master at Icons but I'm down to try.