Notices

Posts: 47 | Thanked: 44 times | Joined on Dec 2013 @ Austria
Sadly I have already expected this answer and I can totaly understand it. But since I really like my N9 as my main phone I thought it is worth to ask.
Thanks for your great work, I am also using it on the Jolla.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Shadowdog For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,230 | Thanked: 5,892 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Originally Posted by Shadowdog View Post
Sadly I have already expected this answer and I can totaly understand it. But since I really like my N9 as my main phone I thought it is worth to ask.
Thanks for your great work, I am also using it on the Jolla.
Quoting just to second this!
And thanks to MartinK.

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 737 | Thanked: 2,238 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Germany
Believe it or not, after managing to ignore it for almost 8 years I finally got around to trying modrana, mainly due to this recent thread: [1]

My first impression after approximately two hour of trying is: I think I like it.

However, there are two things that bother me:

1. I can't find a way to interactively change routing tracks.
I'm using the bicycle setting and I tried routing from my home to my office, and modrana shows me exactly the route I usually take. However, that route contains a path through a forest that even in good weather conditions requires some modest mountain biking skills (S2 single trail [2]). There is an altenative route that doesn't require any skills, but I don't know how to change the suggested route.
I'm using offline routing, in case that info is important. And I'd like to keep it that way.

2. English pronounciation for Geman street names is entirely useless. I wouldn't have recognized my own street name if it hadn't been written on the screen.
Is there a way to tell espeak to use German pronounciation? I have zero knowledge about espeak. Of course, I can just turn voice off in modrana, but I'd find it rather useful iff I can understand what it's saying.

[1] http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?p=1540375
[2] https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:mtb:scale

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to sulu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 392 | Thanked: 1,744 times | Joined on Aug 2016 @ Estonia
Originally Posted by sulu View Post
1. I can't find a way to interactively change routing tracks....

2. English pronounciation for Geman street names is entirely useless. ...
Re changing route: I don't think you can do it interactively. The best bet is to start driving and hope for rerouting. As far as I remember, modRana has rerouting logic implemented, but I am not sure whether its exposed in the current code.

Re espeak-English vs German: no wonder . There are better TTS engines available, some with German support. But they would have to be interfaced from modRana as well as selection of language for routing instructions.

The Following User Says Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 737 | Thanked: 2,238 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by rinigus View Post
Re changing route: I don't think you can do it interactively. The best bet is to start driving and hope for rerouting. As far as I remember, modRana has rerouting logic implemented, but I am not sure whether its exposed in the current code.
That's unfortunate.
Of couse I can just decide to ignore instructions if I know the route. But then I don't need routing at all.
If I don't know the route then unexpectedly ending up on an S2 trail is not an option. I might be riding my road bike or I may have company that can't handle S2.

I'll have to plan the route in advance anyway, but I don't see me remembering which instructions to follow and which to ignore on a 100km tour. So planning the route the way I intend to ride it is imperative.

Originally Posted by rinigus View Post
Re espeak-English vs German: no wonder . There are better TTS engines available, some with German support. But they would have to be interfaced from modRana as well as selection of language for routing instructions.
I found that espeak can use German pronounciation if one provides the option -vde with the string it should read. The result is not pleasant but it's understandable. Adding something like +m3 or +f2 to the option even lets one pick one of four male or two female voices. Although I must say that the different voices of one gender all sound the same or at least very similar.
So it would be nice if one could tell modrana to use that switch.

Tags
bada rox, martin_rocks, modrana, navigation, openstreetmap, the best, wehasgps