Posts: 66 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Europe
Originally Posted by ragnar View Post
Yes, you're now a bit confused. Alphanumerics work fine with Exchange.

Device lock has nothing to do with Exchange, it's for the device itself.
They are directly connected.

When you sync a new device with an Exchange Server, the first thing it does is enforce a its policy to the device. In most cases this includes a password policy - Mine enforces a alphanumeric password.

As the device cannot handle the enforcement of a alphanumeric password, the M4E client will not continue with the sync session and error.

If the device lock functionality cannot support alphanumeric passwords, M4E is dooomed in most mid > large business.

The Following User Says Thank You to badger For This Useful Post:
Posts: 323 | Thanked: 118 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Australia
The device lock is just a lock to stop pressing buttons while in the pocket and stop people using it without asking. It's never been part of the Mail support.

I can't say I've ever seen Exchange force any policy onto any Linux devices I've used with it; short of its own authentication it demands.

Posts: 66 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Europe
Its part of the Exchange Protocol.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../cc182279.aspx

This applys to any device which syncs with an Exchange server. Windows Mobile, eSeries Symbian, iPhone all support password enforcement (invoke the device lock after x minutes, require password to unlock).

Posts: 99 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Philadelphia, PA
Originally Posted by RipTorn View Post
The device lock is just a lock to stop pressing buttons while in the pocket and stop people using it without asking. It's never been part of the Mail support.

I can't say I've ever seen Exchange force any policy onto any Linux devices I've used with it; short of its own authentication it demands.
This is part of device security which Exchange ActiveSync will require you to activate and to set a password. It has done this with my E71, N95, Moto Q and my iPhone at work. Our Exchange servers only require that the default lock password be changed without strict password policies.

This IS definitely part of MFE security policy.

But my password is all numeric on my E71 and it works, so assume my V large company feels this is OK. But I'm sure they may change it in the future, so would be really good to make sure this gets fixed.

Mike C

Posts: 320 | Thanked: 763 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Espoo, FInland
Originally Posted by badger View Post
They are directly connected.
No. They are not.

When you sync a new device with an Exchange Server, the first thing it does is enforce a its policy to the device. In most cases this includes a password policy - Mine enforces a alphanumeric password.
OK. And it is up to device to take this into use or not.

As the device cannot handle the enforcement of a alphanumeric password, the M4E client will not continue with the sync session and error.
WHY? MfE client has nothing to do with device lock. Those systems in N900 are totally independent. Not like in S60 device you have seen before.

So, what sync problems can occur if device safely ignores this "enforcement"? Why sync will stop to work?

If the device lock functionality cannot support alphanumeric passwords, M4E is dooomed in most mid > large business.
Again. Those systems are independent in maemo.

And it sounds brilliant for me as with this "really intelligent" MfE logic in S60 I have lost all my data in S60 phone including photos from my vacations. Just because in one not-so-wonderful moment I have forgotten my password and S60 reformatted my phone :-(

Its part of the Exchange Protocol.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../cc182279.aspx

This applys to any device which syncs with an Exchange server. Windows Mobile, eSeries Symbian, iPhone all support password enforcement (invoke the device lock after x minutes, require password to unlock).
It is up to device how shall it support this part of ActiveSync protocol specification.

Originally Posted by Gorgon View Post
This is part of device security which Exchange ActiveSync will require you to activate and to set a password.
Not maemo implementation. Thanks, God!

It has done this with my E71, N95, Moto Q and my iPhone at work.
The same for be. But not with Maemo. And this is something I love!

Keep ion mind - the link above tells about Windows ActiveSync implementations.

"Security Policies on Windows Mobile Powered Devices Managed by Exchange Server"

N900 device is powered by Maemo (linux based OS), not WIndows Mobile.

Has anyone got MfE working with their corporate servers?

Mike C

Tags
activesync, alphanumeric, exchange, fremantle, maemo, maemo 5, mail for exchange, mfe, n900, non-provisionable, non-provisioning, passcode, password, provisionable, provisioning, security