Notices

Great app BrentDC, I really need to get around to donating.. I have your name on a list of people to donate to in MaePad but I need to get the money first (waiting on the next paycheck) and have time (this school semester has been busy).

This is probably unrelated but I was thinking of this idea the other day. It's a shame that your application has to be a seperate widget due to the way Nokia designed the type to search feature on the hildon-desktop. As it is now you only get your contacts.

I was thinking how wonderful it would be if Nokia made it so you could type to search and your shown a list of possible actions..

- Contacts (as it is now)
- Searches (Google, Wikipedia, etc..) configured
- Files on the N900
- E.g. other functionality (such as status updates you can type in and send to Twitter, Facebook, etc..)

Of course this would be modular (the user could re-order and put in and take out what they wanted). Oh well, in my dreams I guess.

As it is now, to use the widget I have to scroll to the desktop it's on. I think the only thing that could improve the app off the top of my head is to be able to keep a small history of say your last 5 or so searches.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Posts: 354 | Thanked: 151 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ London (UK) / Zielona Góra (PL)
Originally Posted by BrentDC View Post
Unfortunetely I had to do a few database changes in 2.2, so this might be causing the issue. Could you please send my the contents of ~/.touchsearch/ (like zip up the entire directory). You can email me it at:
(...cut...)
(yes, I'm paranoid about spam).

That way I'll be able to reproduce the issue and fix it. Thanks!
Targzipped and sent.

Originally Posted by evad View Post
Targzipped and sent.
Thanks! I'll look at it over the weekend and see if I can figure out what's up.

Author of TouchSearch -- web searching software for Maemo 5.

Mobile Device lineage: Palm Z22 -> Palm TX -> Nokia N800 -> Nokia N900

Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
Great app BrentDC, I really need to get around to donating.. I have your name on a list of people to donate to in MaePad but I need to get the money first (waiting on the next paycheck) and have time (this school semester has been busy).
Thank you very much Laughing Man -- it would be very much appreciated. I have a donate button my website at MaemoMagazine.com (on the sidebar), see: http://www.maemomagazine.com/

This is probably unrelated but I was thinking of this idea the other day. It's a shame that your application has to be a seperate widget due to the way Nokia designed the type to search feature on the hildon-desktop. As it is now you only get your contacts.

I was thinking how wonderful it would be if Nokia made it so you could type to search and your shown a list of possible actions..

- Contacts (as it is now)
- Searches (Google, Wikipedia, etc..) configured
- Files on the N900
- E.g. other functionality (such as status updates you can type in and send to Twitter, Facebook, etc..)

Of course this would be modular (the user could re-order and put in and take out what they wanted). Oh well, in my dreams I guess.

As it is now, to use the widget I have to scroll to the desktop it's on. I think the only thing that could improve the app off the top of my head is to be able to keep a small history of say your last 5 or so searches.
I have looked into adding a history (like the browser recently typed queries in the url bar), but there is no standard system in place to do it. Apparently the browser team wrote a custom UI widget, and it is not something I would/could do. If at a later point they add a widget like that to the Hildon framework, I'd do it, but right now it doesn't look very likely.

I just uploaded a new version of TouchSearch to extras-testing. This new version fixes the problem with the Edit button not working in the Customize Search Engine dialog.

It is also recommended that you Reset you search-engine database (especially if you've made no changes). To do this, go to:

TouchSearch's options > Configure > Reset > Yes

This should get everything running smoothly again, but will undo all customizations to your search engines.

Testing page here: http://maemo.org/packages/package_in...hsearch/2.2-2/

Please vote it up so that I can replace the version in extras with the bug.

Thanks!

Posts: 354 | Thanked: 151 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ London (UK) / Zielona Góra (PL)
Testing page here: http://maemo.org/packages/package_in...hsearch/2.2-2/

Please vote it up so that I can replace the version in extras with the bug.
I've got automatic update from repo and now I can edit search engines, however what slightly disappoints me is only 3-character limit of QuickBar prefix. That makes "wiki" or "ebay" (for example) prefixes impossible to set. :(

Originally Posted by evad View Post
I've got automatic update from repo and now I can edit search engines, however what slightly disappoints me is only 3-character limit of QuickBar prefix. That makes "wiki" or "ebay" (for example) prefixes impossible to set.
I almost set it at two :/ The idea behind the QuickBar is speed; I thought that having long prefixes would defeat the purpose. It may also cause mis-interpretations of prefixes. For example, no one searches "g" or "e", but someone may search "ebay motors", and in your scenario that would search ebay.com for "motors" instead of Google for "ebay motors".

In the default database Wikipedia is "w", Ebay is "e" and the most characters used in a prefix is Google Maps "gm". Is this OK?

I almost set it at two :/ The idea behind the QuickBar is speed; I thought that having long prefixes would defeat the purpose. It may also cause mis-interpretations of prefixes. For example, no one searches "g" or "e", but someone may search "ebay motors", and in your scenario that would search ebay.com for "motors" instead of Google for "ebay motors".
Well, for one it's speed, for other it's a matter of personal preference. If I wanted google for "ebay motors", I'd probably type "go ebay motors" - but that's just me. :) Anyway, I have my own solution for prefixes (as you know), so I'm not that bothered about that, really. It just seemed a bit odd to me, as I'd rather like to have freedom in the actual length of the prefix.

I think this APP is one of the best on the Nokia N900!!

Is it possible to make this application multi-functional? For example, I was thinking this would be great if Facebook Status Update was part of it? instead of using other apps like mstatus etc.
Just a thought...

THANKS

Originally Posted by dbs11 View Post
I think this APP is one of the best on the Nokia N900!!
Thanks!

Is it possible to make this application multi-functional? For example, I was thinking this would be great if Facebook Status Update was part of it? instead of using other apps like mstatus etc.
Just a thought...

THANKS
I'm going to try to focus solely on searching with this app. I'll leave the Facebook stuff up to others (heck, I don't even use Facebook myself!).

Tags
desktop widget, python, search, touchsearch