Active Topics

Posts: 301 | Thanked: 227 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Turkey
I know changing it would be illegal at some countries, but I'm curious about if Maemo 5 is that open, or not. Anyway, maybe its not even related with OS. BTW, I dont mean BB5 tools or sth like that, I mean just compiling something, or some command, config file etc.

So, is it possible to change/spoof (send another IMEI number to GSM network maybe) it or not (Nokia closed its source, its hw-related etc)? It would be interesting hack.

Posts: 207 | Thanked: 119 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Pittsburgh, PA, USA
I spend pretty much time for investigate this question and didn't find any solution. Look like it is impossible on Nokia phones.....

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
The FCC requires the closed source I believe.

SLN member # 009

Posts: 378 | Thanked: 206 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Denmark
i believe IMEI is hardcoded into the hardware, maybe on some chip/flash or something. i'm far from expert but i can tell that since complete reflashing on any kind of phone dosen't change IMEI, its not in the OS or any config file available on the phone.

You need to be technical experienced with electronics, since you need to read/write a certain flash rom inside the phone. As far as i know you need special cable and special software to do this.

Your best bet is to research this topic on some phone hacking websites.. wich i can not recommend, most public hacking sites are filled with virus's, trojans.and other malware.. kinda ironic.

The Following User Says Thank You to mthmob For This Useful Post:
It's to filter out those who shouldn't be there. =P

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Posts: 739 | Thanked: 242 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Montreal
Well, if the IMEI is not acquired through a handshake on a smart card, then it's just a number in a ROM that can be emulated or trapped by different techniques...

An LD_PRELOAD on the right part of the phone daemon for example?

The Following User Says Thank You to R-R For This Useful Post:
Posts: 301 | Thanked: 227 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Turkey
So even if its hardcoded into hardware, they should get information ( like $i = "imeinumberhere" ) and send it to gsm network. If we change $i on the fly, or just reassign it, so its all ok. I'm curious if that part of code is closed or not..

Hello all,

I'm also searching for same answer. I would also like to know how can I change IMEI or bypass it and send another one to network.
There must be a way. It can not be impossible.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
The IMEI (or MEID) is indeed flashed into the device at time of firmware burn-in. I have heard of utilities to spoof IMEI numbers but I strongly recommend against using them.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Changing IMEI is illegal in UK and Most of europe*

*i think europe but deffo in UK