Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Just a thought... if it's possible to have an application that suppresses the text message: Would it be possible to write an application that will only change the list of phone numbers used?

You know... I don't mind Nokia knowing whenever I need to re-flash PR 1.2; but maybe I want to choose who at Nokia gets the notification?

The Following User Says Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
These statements from Nokia about how the device is more of a computer than a phone as an excuse for why it should register by SMS, also seems like an irrelevant answer to a question that was never asked. The fundamental question is still: Why are you doing that?

I'm increasingly glad I never bought an N900.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
If it's more of a computer than a phone, then it could use tcp/ip and email or rss instead of sms ...

The Following User Says Thank You to shadowjk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,050 | Thanked: 1,425 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bucharest
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
Would it be possible to write an application that will only change the list of phone numbers used?
I want one that modifies the SMS and changes MY phone number. They can have the rest.

Keep the forums clean: use "Thanks" button instead of the thank you post.

Posts: 14 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Malmö, Sweden
Does anyone know if N900's bought after the release of PR1.2 is shipped with 1.2, and in that case, should I have to take precautions before even switching it on for the first time?

Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
Originally Posted by monster View Post
Does anyone know if N900's bought after the release of PR1.2 is shipped with 1.2
That's a very good question, and it concerns me too (for future buyers).

Originally Posted by monster View Post
and in that case, should I have to take precautions before even switching it on for the first time?
You should make sure no SIM is inserted, boot it without the SIM, then check the last paragraph in http://wiki.maemo.org/PR1.2_compulso...#Manual_method to clear out the pending SMS.

This won't help if your carrier or shop you buy the N900 from "helpfully" inserts the SIM for you and boots it before giving it to you, and of course doesn't help new purchasers who haven't read about this problem before buying.

The Following User Says Thank You to pelago For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pelago View Post
You should make sure no SIM is inserted, boot it without the SIM, then check the last paragraph in http://wiki.maemo.org/PR1.2_compulso...#Manual_method to clear out the pending SMS.
Does anyone know how to decipher /var/spool/sms/regs_out.txt ?

Posts: 14 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Malmö, Sweden
Originally Posted by pelago View Post
This won't help if your carrier or shop you buy the N900 from "helpfully" inserts the SIM for you and boots it before giving it to you, and of course doesn't help new purchasers who haven't read about this problem before buying.
Thanx!
I'm buying it without any carrier so no one should have inserted anything.

Posts: 741 | Thanked: 900 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Auckland NZ
Congratulations, you've made the news: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/07...a_n900_update/

"Nokia snaffles user data on the down-low

Both N900 owners in uproar"

The Following User Says Thank You to maluka For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by maluka View Post
Congratulations, you've made the news: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/07...a_n900_update/

"Nokia snaffles user data on the down-low

Both N900 owners in uproar"
The writer definitely overestimated the number of users here with multiple accounts...

brb, relogging in as gerbick...
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post: