A question for those who already have the N900:
Is it possible to set the phone to connect to the internet using Wifi only, and not try to use my mobile connection if there is no Wifi available? I plan on using it without a data plan, and I don't want to end up with an insane phone bill.

I would assume this is possible, since obviously not everyone will have a data plan, but I want be sure before I pay up.

Posts: 1,656 | Thanked: 1,196 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Alabama, USA
You have to set up phone internet connection to even connect to it and you can set it to not automatically connect.

**All Posts are made as a Community Member and not as a Super Moderator of this site.

The Following User Says Thank You to andrewfblack For This Useful Post:
Posts: 516 | Thanked: 643 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Denmark/Poland
Yes, there is an explicit option to to that (also automatic WLAN connection can be disabled). No sweat.

[edit] beaten by @andrewfblack post no. 1000

[edit2] @andrewfblack, if your sim card is smart enough, you don't really need to setup anything, the internet connection is already there. But not enabled to automatic connection.

Useful links for newcomers:
Użyteczne linki:
Nowi użyktownicy mówią cześć | New members say hello , Tu zaczynają nowi użytkownicy | New users start here, Podforum społeczności | Community subforum, Wiki dla początkujących | Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 101, Często zadawane pytania | Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ), Google

Jeżeli mogę w czymś pomóc, pytaj!
If I can help with anything else, just ask!

Bored? Follow me

Last edited by hopbeat; 2009-12-03 at 20:40.

The Following User Says Thank You to hopbeat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by Vysarat View Post
Is it possible to set the phone to connect to the internet using Wifi only, and not try to use my mobile connection if there is no Wifi available?
Yes. The first time you connect to your cellular provider's data network with your N900, the N900 will ask whether to connect automatically in the future. You'll simply want to decline that costly opportunity.

In addition to that choice at first connect, you can go into Settings -> "Internet connections" at any time and set "Connect automatically" to any of the following:
  • Always ask
  • Wi-Fi
  • <Your cellular data connection here>
  • Any connection

In the same location is the "Switch to Wi-Fi when available" setting, which defaults to "Yes".

Well you can set it up to use only the GSM network under Settings-> Phone->Network Mode.
Other than that, you can set a global setting to always ask you which connection to use. thats from Settings-> Internet connections -> Connect automatically (set this to always ask).

yeh its possible, i went to canada last week for thanksgiving and they were going to charge me 10 bucks for a MB on t-mobile LOL if it wasnt for that i wouldnt have taken my phone.