Notices

Posts: 395 | Thanked: 137 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Boone, IA
@hqh

You rock!

I never realized that I hated the stock AppMgr 'til I played with this yesterday

I see that Maemo5 is @ version 0.4 Any love coming for the poor unwashed Maemo4 masses out here?

Thanks

Sno

N800 (retired...soon to eBay)
Favorite Apps: CommunitySSU,DiabloTurbo, Flipclock, Keepnote, Dialcentral, Gizmo5 ,MediaBox/pyFMradio, Telescope,Diablo5 theme, Tear, Personal Menu/Launcher, OMWeather,Blubbels, Advanced Power/Backlight...now to play with Garnet6...

Posts: 356 | Thanked: 172 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Canada
I haven't noticed any unusual slowdown FWIW.

One thing i'd like to see though is a true progress bar.

Could be in addition to the current activity ball -- I quite like that as well, but a progress bar has the advantage of giving at least some idea of how long an action is taking/is expected to take.

Otherwise, this app is just great

EDIT: oops -- just remembered one other small feature request I have:

It would be great if a package's info screen showed which repository it was being downloaded from. This would be especially useful with upgrades as I don't always want to install Extras-devel updates for some of the apps I use.

Last edited by Bingley Joe; 2010-07-15 at 03:33.

Thanks for the good work, this looks like a great improvement over the original application manager, performance-wise.

It looks at the moment like it won't use system proxy settings, is that correct? This is a pet peeve of mine with the official app manager too, how hard would it be to add this in as a feature?

Posts: 293 | Thanked: 372 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Westside
really nicely done! Best App of the Decade (B.A.D)!

Posts: 577 | Thanked: 699 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Malta
Please I never got an answer.

Will you add sorting?

Sort Alphabetically
Sort By Date (newest first)
Sort by Size (Largest first)

Sorting is the most I miss from the default Application Manager.

Posts: 762 | Thanked: 395 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by jd4200 View Post
Does anyone else find installing this severely slows down their device?

I installed it last week with a bunch of other apps. and noticed the slow down, I decided to reflash both rootfs and emmc because I wanted to start a fresh.

I reinstalled around 20 of my usual application, and the phone was pretty swift; however, I've just reinstalled fapman and the phone has once again become very slow, even when the application is not running.

I have just removed fapman through the native application manager; the uninstall took well over two minutes to complete, upon removal and reboot the phone is now as fast as it was before.

Any ideas as to the cause? I understand this is still in development so would like to help debug if possible.

Thanks none-the-less for a great app.
I think Fapman has no reason to hang around once you close it, so I would still turn to other apps to possibly cause the problem. Unless you keep it in the background?

Posts: 1,751 | Thanked: 844 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Sweden
I would like FAP to be my default application manager (i.e that FAP starts instead of HAM when statusbar shows upgradable package).

I used terminal for application management before this program.. so it made me switch to UI again

Posts: 4,365 | Thanked: 2,467 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Australia Mate
I am loving this app - nice update indeed!

Posts: 388 | Thanked: 842 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Snoshrk View Post
I see that Maemo5 is @ version 0.4 Any love coming for the poor unwashed Maemo4 masses out here?
No, sorry. It was user 'linuxeventually' who put it in the diablo autobuilder, not me. Maybe you should ask him/her about diablo support I don't even own a diablo device.

Originally Posted by jd4200 View Post
Does anyone else find installing this severely slows down their device?
There are no daemons or anything left running, so if you're the only user experiencing this I'd like to think that the reason for slowdowns is somewhere else

Originally Posted by Bingley Joe View Post
One thing i'd like to see though is a true progress bar.

Could be in addition to the current activity ball -- I quite like that as well, but a progress bar has the advantage of giving at least some idea of how long an action is taking/is expected to take.
There is a progress bar for downloads in the latest version. For other operations there is the problem that a progress bar is pretty useless if there's no way to know how long the operation will take before starting it... I'll try if I can do something about it, but some operations like unpacking/removal will definitely have to do with the ball only.

Originally Posted by Bingley Joe View Post
It would be great if a package's info screen showed which repository it was being downloaded from. This would be especially useful with upgrades as I don't always want to install Extras-devel updates for some of the apps I use.
This has already been added in the latest version. (It shows multiple repositories if the same version of the package exists in all of them - but that should not matter)

Originally Posted by karatestarfish View Post
It looks at the moment like it won't use system proxy settings, is that correct? This is a pet peeve of mine with the official app manager too, how hard would it be to add this in as a feature?
That depends whether apt-get can be made to use them or not. I'll take a look.

Originally Posted by pantera1989 View Post
Will you add sorting?
Sorting is the most I miss from the default Application Manager.
Yes, I'll add sorting. But there's still the problem that there is no date information available in the system for packages that have not been installed. Querying it over http for each package is quite slow.

Originally Posted by AlMehdi View Post
I would like FAP to be my default application manager (i.e that FAP starts instead of HAM when statusbar shows upgradable package).
Don't know if that is possible. I might take a look at that when everything else is done.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to hqh For This Useful Post:
Great update again ! You're the man. Keep up the good work.
I really like fapman.