Notices

hi i installed Albion twice but it didnt work -.- everytime i get an error!

/home/user # /usr/games/albion
Home directory /home/user not ours.
Home directory /home/user not ours.
info : Using config file: /home/user/.config/albion/albion.cfg
fatal: Unable to open <CD_PATH>/XLDLIBS/FONTS0.XLD (exit code: -5)
/home/user #

can anyone help me?

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Do you have the original game copied in the device?

yes! i have the game files in an subfolder called CD in the main Albion folder!

Last edited by Schuhsohle; 2010-06-17 at 08:49.

hm i've changed the gamedirectory and now i get the error

~ $ /usr/games/albion
fatal: Unable to open SETUP.INI (exit code: -4)
~ $

I had exaclty the same errors as Schuhsohle, I eventually fixed it. I think the problem was i merged the CD folder with the install folder so i had a folder named albion within a folder named albion and it was trying to run from the folder that had less data in it. In the end i made sure both albion folders had everything in them so XLDLIBS folders had all the files etc in there. I also had to copy the setup.ini file to the albion directory that was missing it. Then i copied the exe's from the directory call 'ROOT' to the albion directories and then it ran ok. I understand that a lot of what i did was probably not needed and i have alot of redudant copies of files but it worked in the end. Apologies for not understanding the original set up instructions, i think i went wrong at the beginning perhaps by merging the CD and install folders?

Originally Posted by Schuhsohle View Post
hm i've changed the gamedirectory and now i get the error

~ $ /usr/games/albion
fatal: Unable to open SETUP.INI (exit code: -4)
~ $
Your game directory does not contain the SETUP.INI file. Set the GameDirectory (in ~/.config/albion/albion.cfg) to the directory containing SETUP.INI, ALBION.EXE, the SAVES dir etc. Then set the SOURCE_PATH in SETUP.INI to the folder containing the CD files (this should fix the error you got before this one.).

Posts: 267 | Thanked: 408 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Austria
First of all, thanks for porting to the N900 - I've always been madly in love with Albion, and right when I decide to play it once again, I realise I can actually do so on my mobile device!

To add to the instructions, here's what I had to do to get it up and running with the German CD version - WITHOUT having to install it first:

• The usual, of course - install from the repositories, create game folder, start game to copy config file, edit config file to point to game folder

• Then I copied the folders DRIVERS, SAVES and XLDLIBS to the game folder (directly to the folder without creating a subfolder).

• Into the same folder went all the files in <cd mount location>/ - that is: albion.exe, dos4gw.exe, install.lbm, install.scr, readme.txt, setup.exe

• And still into the same folder I also copied everything from the folder <cd mount location>/ROOT/ - that is: albilow.bat, albion.exe (overwriting the one copied earlier), albion.pif, albion.vmc, main.exe

• One last time in the game folder, I created an empty setup.ini and added the following content (loosely based on the setup.ini of the German demo)
    Code:
    [SYSTEM]
    LANGUAGE=1
    SOURCE_PATH=.\
    Using an empty setup.ini didn't work for me, I explicitly had to set SOURCE_PATH to the current folder.

Not sure how many of the files copied are really necessary for the game to start, but I decided against finding out by trial&error since I can live with <2MB of unnecessary files.

With those few steps I was able to get the game running without having to install it first. At least with the German CD, not sure whether it also works with the English and the French version.

Once again thank you, I'm really looking forward to spicing up my countless train rides with some Albion magic!

You're welcome, Nathraiben. All the files except for SETUP.INI and ALBION.EXE are unnecessary Its weird empty SETUP.INI didn't work for you since you copied the CD content to the root dir. Maybe the full german version is as different as the demo version, but thats only for the better (the german version seems to be less sensitive to files' locations).

The Following User Says Thank You to lukash For This Useful Post:
Posts: 267 | Thanked: 408 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Austria
Gave it a try and deleted everything in the main folder other than those two files (and error.log, just for good measure ) - and it's really still running fine. So I guess it was just the ALBION.EXE I needed to copy from the /ROOT/ directory (strangely enough, it didn't work with the one in the CD root, even though both are of same size).

Btw, does anybody else experience problems with saving from time to time? Most of the time it works fine, but sometimes I cannot enter a new description (and actually have to overwrite an existing file because of that). Once I go back to the game, keyboard input works just fine, so I don't think it's one of those window focus bugs.

It probably was a different error with those ALBION.EXE files.. I don't think there are 2 different versions of them. You can try md5sum to check if they are the same if you're really curious

As for the saving problem, didn't happen to me. But I created most of my saves early when porting and then only kept overwriting them. Just tried it few times and it didn't happen.

Speaking of the devil, are you guys also experiencing those annoying speedups I mentioned in the first post (the game will run about 2 times faster altogether)?

Btw, I'm not really playing it anymore. I'd really like to get to ironing the few rough edges it still has and maybe try promoting though... Hopefully when the competition ends