Notices

The problem is: Nokia is non-existant in the US, while pretty much all tech-blogs are mostly concerned with US stuff. Just like TechCrunch's Arrington called Nokia "irrelevant" a while ago, mostly because his website's focus ends pretty much at the borders of Silicon Valley.

And how do you want to spin Bochum and "Lex Nokia" into positive PR? Not gonna happen, especially when you're an industry leader - for some reason, the media loves to bash those for everything, while they hype the (perceived) underdog.

There a more intrinsic reason why Google / Apple get the attention while many others do not.

Maybe some of it is captured here in the blog post by Scoble (the egoist).

One major reason is that Apple and Goole have a penchant for releasing a complete working product when they announce it instead of some half-baked product with a announcement long before the completed product is expected in market.

When Latitude news came out - it was ready for use in all the devices they mentioned (which was quite a lot) with only the iPhone announcement as coming soon.

Another thing I really liked was that in Google maps on my N95 - Google allows you to select friend contact from your contact list - and filter it out by various cariteri - its so helopful - that I didnt have to enter any contact by hand - they were all found from within Gmail's addresses. THAT's the kind of complete interaction with google's own products which amazes. Its the level of completeness which is lacking in many other apps from other manfacturers.

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by chlettn View Post
The problem is: Nokia is non-existant in the US, while pretty much all tech-blogs are mostly concerned with US stuff.
whats happening in the US is non-existant here. english-language tech-blogs are playing a minor role.

i'm talking about the mainstream papers, news portals, TV news here. Nokia is strong here, very strong. As a brand probably stronger than Google.

so while i do understand that Nokians don't pay much attention to a territory they're not successful in, anyway, you'd expect them to do some sort of PR in countries where they're omnipresent.

And how do you want to spin Bochum and "Lex Nokia" into positive PR?
Lex Nokia is something that just must not leak if you're daffy enough to do it in the first place.

Bochum, in fact, was something that could have been a bright success story for Nokia: after all, while others have long left both the US and the EU and have their devices manufactured in the far east, Nokia opened a new plant right within the EU. That's the basic message: "We stay in Europe!" - Open this thing in Romania, let the public celebrate that you invest in Europe instead of in some developing country... and then, 3 months later, tell that because of the success of your new European flagship you concentrate your forces to this most modern site, closing down Bochum while you're at it.
That would have been a completely different story than "they move it from Bochum to Romania".

One major reason is that Apple and Goole have a penchant for releasing a complete working product when they announce it instead of some half-baked product with a announcement long before the completed product is expected in market.
I guess that is why google never releases a 'beta' product...

Some would call the iphone somewhat unfinished considering the shortcomings(cut/paste, video, no access to calendar through api etc), not to mention when it came out you could not even install apps on it!

Posts: 566 | Thanked: 145 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Tallahassee, FL
Originally Posted by Benson View Post
Now to be interfacink Google Latitude to orbital LART, one moment please, comrade.
wait a minute! ...that's MY line!! ;-)

Posts: 109 | Thanked: 196 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Guatemala
And still I struggle to find a use case where Latitude or any other similar service would be worth it for me. Privacy concerns overrule the small convenience gain - I just don't want anybody to be able to track me constantly. If you want to know where I am, call me, and if I choose to ignore you, take the hint.
Check the privacy tips before ruling it out. Maybe it can work for you.

The Following User Says Thank You to solca For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by solca View Post
Check the privacy tips before ruling it out. Maybe it can work for you.
It's more a general thing. I don't want to have a friend suddenly asking why I stopped sharing my location with him/her, or why I never shared it with them in the first place, etc.

And on top of that, I really don't think stuff like that is all that useful. I seriously can't think of a single use case where it might come in handy.

Walking around in a city you don't know (e.g. Berlin) trying to meet up with people for beer. Sounds quite useful to me

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lardman For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
And on top of that, I really don't think stuff like that is all that useful. I seriously can't think of a single use case where it might come in handy.
how about "fun"?

It's more a general thing. I don't want to have a friend suddenly asking why I stopped sharing my location with him/her, or why I never shared it with them in the first place, etc.
Agreed.

Well, anything where you might want to meet up with someone, but something prevents effective communication of locations otherwise (such as one (or both) of you isn't familiar with the town you're in), or for keeping a loose convoy together on a road trip. But not as a general thing, and it's probably not real good at the latter use, as it's not what they seem to be envisioning; I'd sooner have separate software (tricked out maemo-mapper or such) just for those few situations.

Tags
google, location