Active Topics

Posts: 4 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ New Hampshire
Peace Maemo's! Just joined before I buy. I've coded for Linux in a past life, want a non-cell phone PDAish tablet to play with and possibly develop for. I know the N900 is just out, but price tag too rich for me at the moment (and don't need phone bill). I'm currently thinking of getting a N810 off ebay, but I have some noob questions.
-Most used units say 128M RAM yet it's expandable to 2Gig internal. Did they really ship with only 128M?
-Will support for os2008 continue for long or will maemo 5 port to the n810? I think the answers are no and no.
-Any essentials I should look for that might be critical but not sold with the NIT on ebay?
-Any flaws that flag larger issues to completely avoid?
-What are you thoughts on 'must have' apps? How much can be installed at the same time?

I'm sure I'll have more questions once I get one and start playing.

So, hello and thanks for all the help already!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jrtweeter For This Useful Post:
Hi all, i joined a few days ago, im adam (aka Biggzy) from the symbian community, im looking forward to owning my first maemo device (the n900) and glad to be here apart of the maemo community

Very nice site with very good info/help.

regards,
Biggzy.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to biggzy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,028 | Thanked: 578 times | Joined on Mar 2009 @ Chicago
Originally Posted by jrtweeter View Post
-Most used units say 128M RAM yet it's expandable to 2Gig internal. Did they really ship with only 128M?
RAM = 128 MB + 128 MB swap file. The 2GB is internal storage.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JayOnThaBeat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Pune, India
Hello !!

I am new member of the community. Actually was thinking to buy iPhone 3GS. But when i saw new Nokia 900.. Just scrapped the idea of iPhone. This device is gonna rock. I am going to get this one anyhow. Would be contributing my dev also for this !!

Thanks for this new forums & talks to discuss !
- silverroots

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to silverroots For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,390 | Thanked: 642 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ California USA
Originally Posted by silverroots View Post
Hello !!

I am new member of the community. Actually was thinking to buy iPhone 3GS. But when i saw new Nokia 900.. Just scrapped the idea of iPhone. This device is gonna rock. I am going to get this one anyhow. Would be contributing my dev also for this !!

Thanks for this new forums & talks to discuss !
- silverroots
Welcome, Silverroots. We all here are looking forward to the N900 series of tablets/phones.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Den in USA For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by biggzy View Post
Hi all, i joined a few days ago, im adam (aka Biggzy) from the symbian community, im looking forward to owning my first maemo device (the n900) and glad to be here apart of the maemo community

Very nice site with very good info/help.

regards,
Biggzy.
Welcome, Biggzy, to the forum!

Posts: 3 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Pune, India
Thanks a ton Den, I have started with the development too. Just finished with SDK installation The guide & thread talks are really helpful.

The Following User Says Thank You to silverroots For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jrtweeter View Post
Peace Maemo's! Just joined before I buy. I've coded for Linux in a past life, want a non-cell phone PDAish tablet to play with and possibly develop for. I know the N900 is just out, but price tag too rich for me at the moment (and don't need phone bill). I'm currently thinking of getting a N810 off ebay, but I have some noob questions.
-Will support for os2008 continue for long or will maemo 5 port to the n810? I think the answers are no and no.
-Any essentials I should look for that might be critical but not sold with the NIT on ebay?
-Any flaws that flag larger issues to completely avoid?
-What are you thoughts on 'must have' apps? How much can be installed at the same time?

I'm sure I'll have more questions once I get one and start playing.

So, hello and thanks for all the help already!
Welcome, Jrtweetwer. Before you invest in an N810 you might want to search this forum to compare it to the N800. I bought a new N800 on eBay for $150. Instead of the 2gb limit on the internal memory, the N800 has a standard SD socket ( I have 16gb internal memory). I use a bluetooth GPS receiver that works much better that the one built into the N810. If a built-in keyboard is a must, then forget about the N800.

Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
I'm embarrassed to admit I had overlooked this section until Gadsby posted... but I went through and thanked everyone who introduced themselves and everyone who welcomed them. This is a great "portal" to the community!
Thanks for the thanks!

The Following User Says Thank You to Den in USA For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by sunwong View Post
Hi all,

I am new to the community, been here lurking for a long while but today I finally decided to register (maybe the advent of the new maemo lead device has something to do with it... )

Regards to all and see you out there!
Welcome, Sunwong!

Tags
bada boom, bada rox, hotelcalifornia, new users, newbie, newmo!, w2tmo, welcome to maemo.org