Poll: Did you pre-order?
Poll Options
Did you pre-order?

The Following User Says Thank You to bnwg For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
How many of you would pay extra for jolla delux images, backgrounds and so forth...no one? thought so.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
How many of you would pay extra for jolla delux images, backgrounds and so forth...no one? thought so.
Depends on how many euros do you mean by extra

The Following User Says Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
Not even 5.

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Well think about it this way;

When N9 first came out, the asking price for 64G device (in finland at least) was just under 700eur, and even more in some stores.
A year later it could be had for about 350 eur, the device had just about halved its introduction price.

Do I regret buying the first device at the higher price?
Did I get anything extra with the first purchase?

Answer to both questions is NO.
And I would still be ready to shell the cash at the higher price point in similar situation.

So, this is exactly analogue to the Jolla situation, except there might be something extra there, even if it is just a Jolla t-shirt

The Following User Says Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
But in this case it's no guarantees that you actually get the device you are paying for? Since it's build on demands. But if you pay with credit card I guess the card companies take the lose if jolla goes bankruptcy.

Posts: 337 | Thanked: 891 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Royaume Uni.
Usually there is some kind of a leak for a device in the month running up to an announcement, it's strange that we haven't seen any leaks yet. All we know is that a Chinese manufacturer with no pedigree in the market may produce a Sailfish phone.

My fear is that we end up with sub-standard Chinese junk on the hardware front. Not casting aspersions on China, but I know if you are getting any manufacturing done there that you have to keep a very, very tight rein on them - otherwise they will run rings around you and take every shortcut possible to the detriment of quality.

The Following User Says Thank You to NokiaFanatic For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
Leaks are done usually deliberately or by someone involved in the organization. Jolla have prided themselves on having no leaks before their announcements so I expect this pattern to continue till they grow big enough for leaks to go uninvestigated...

Why the nonsensical hype of how you are scared they use cheap components or whatever? Wait for official announcements before going hype crazy like clowns...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thedead1440 For This Useful Post:
Leaks and fake leaks are for big release where lots of users are intressting. In this case very few customers plus no one has any clue of the os features or what jolla going for...

Samsung and iphone rarly have leaks now days for device releases. however, lots of fake images

Last edited by Dave999; 2013-04-17 at 10:22.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
Originally Posted by NokiaFanatic
My fear is that we end up with sub-standard Chinese junk on the hardware front. Not casting aspersions on China, but I know if you are getting any manufacturing done there that you have to keep a very, very tight rein on them - otherwise they will run rings around you and take every shortcut possible to the detriment of quality.
These are unfortunately my exact experiences with manufacturing / ODM done in CN. Tight management procedures are needed, otherwise milestones aren't reached and the use of hot glue seems like a fetish, instead of proper cable routing. Given that we got way better (reference) quality from an amateur workshop in Spain for relatively similar devices, i'm soo happy we dropped that ****.

The Following User Says Thank You to don_falcone For This Useful Post:

Tags
bespoke phone, jolla, keyboard phone, or nothing, pandora phone