Active Topics

Hey tableters, i was wondering if anyone has successfully connected their alltel phone to the n800 through bluetooth. If so which phone and which plan. Thx!

Posts: 466 | Thanked: 142 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Temple Terrorist, FL
I just got my first ever BT phone (HTC PPC 6700 with Windows Mobile 6) on Wednesday and finally have a few days off to mess with it.

I'm currently using this method to connect to the Internet via Alltel instead of Bluetooth: WMWifiRouter for Internet Sharing

Because I have a Smart Phone, I have an unlimited data Smart Choice Pack.

I'll probably attempt pairing my Alltel HTC PPC 6700 to my N800 again tomorrow. Someone in the WMWifiRouter thread linked to above says I needed the Bluetooth Pan application installed on my N800, which shows up under the connection manager I noticed.

Today I'm taking it easy and just downloaded MobiTV from Alltel for $9.95/month (I haven't had a TV for 11 months).

Apple 68k Mac: Basilisk II
Commodore 64: Frodo
Palm OS: Access GarnetVM
TI-89 Calculator: TiEmu 2

The Following User Says Thank You to OSEmuTech For This Useful Post:
sweet! Thanks for the super-fast response. Oh and how are the speeds on your NIT?

Note: The speed of the Flash on the Speedtest.net may have effected the results of this comparison.

Here's the speed of my N800 connected via Wi-fi to my router connected to BrightHouse Road Runner Lite cable modem:

Here's the speed of my N800 connected via Wi-fi to my HTC PPC 6700 connected to Alltel EVDO (ouch):

I'll post comparison speeds using ping instead later, along with the speeds I get on Alltel when using Bluetooth between phone and N800.

ouch. Here are the speeds for my crapy $20 at&t dsl

and is the smartschoice pack the only option?

For $25 on top of any Alltel voice plan you can tether any 1x/EVDO phone to a computer (and get rid of your AT&T DSL service). Tethering on a non-smart phone requires Quick Link Mobile software to be installed on your computer though and the phone connected via a USB cable, so on further reflection this is probably not what you need.

Otherwise, any phone is Axcess Web capable. There is no cost, except that it takes away your "peak time" minutes (M-F, 6AM-9PM)of your voice plan. On nights and weekends you cannot incur "peak time" minutes so data access is free. Alltel offers a package called "Axcess Minutes" for $10/month that allows your data access on your phone to not count against your "peak time" minutes, thus you would have unlimited data for $10/month on top of any voice plan.

Someone else with experience might have to verify my second paragraph to see if this is the way Alltel or their provider offers the service that will allow a Bluetooth connection to share the phone's connection, or if the method in the first paragraph is needed to share your connection with your N800.

I am using the $25 tethering plan myself. I have my N800 paired with my RAZR and have never had a moments problem with this setup in 6 months of use. I did not need (and did not purchase) the quick link mobile software. I simply set it up using DUN from the N800. I have never used axcess web. I figure that with the tethering plan and the N800, axcess is redundant, not to mention far less capable.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to n9mjg For This Useful Post:
k thx for all ur help guys. axcess is pretty redundant. Lol read this thread. one of the guys say how putting axcess just gets everyone confused and when u try to go around it, ur slapped with a huge fine because u used up all ur anytime minutes through axcess web. i guess the $25 seems worth it! thx again!