Posts: 238 | Thanked: 291 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ London, UK
I just noticed a weird bug that I encountered today. It so turns out that my friend and his father's mobile number are almost the same with the exception of 1 character difference. Example:

Person 1: +96650123456
Person 2: +96655123456

The weird thing is that i have saved one contact (Person1). So when i dial the second number, it brings the name of the first contact (Person1). If i save the second number (Person2) in the Phonebook, it turns out to just show the number while calling. The log shows proper Information.

Can someone please help confirm this? Is it just me or is this really somethin that everyone is facing and it went unnoticed?

I'm using PR 1.3 with CSSU. Phonebook is in sync with Exchange Contacts. Checked for duplicates etc but dint find anythin. Problem can be replicated with doing the same for other contacts also.

Kindly Advise and Assist. If it is a common problem, we may need to file it.

Best Regards,
Fareed A. Hameed

Last edited by fareed_xtreme; 2011-04-06 at 17:24.

Posts: 889 | Thanked: 537 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ scotland
i had this on an old phone (my home number was one digit from a friends) i think it's to compensate for international format (+44 vs 0 or whatever it is where you are) at the start, or perhaps business extensions. the phonebook allows for one digit discrepency and still recognises the same number. if you have the same number saved under two different names it usually won't show either name just the number. afraid i have no solution to the issue though...

edit: actually i did think of one possible solution, have you tried saving one number with international format and one with domestic? it may just fool the phonebook, on the other hand it may fool it so much the wrong caller name shows up depending who calls you!

its a sad day when i can't slip at least one hitchhiker reference in somewhere.

Last edited by festivalnut; 2011-04-06 at 17:35.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to festivalnut For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by festivalnut View Post
i had this on an old phone (my home number was one digit from a friends) i think it's to compensate for international format (+44 vs 0 or whatever it is where you are) at the start, or perhaps business extensions. the phonebook allows for one digit discrepency and still recognises the same number. if you have the same number saved under two different names it usually won't show either name just the number. afraid i have no solution to the issue though...

edit: actually i did think of one possible solution, have you tried saving one number with international format and one with domestic? it may just fool the phonebook, on the other hand it may fool it so much the wrong caller name shows up depending who calls you!
Lol, That was my first try in solving this issue. I did save 1 as international and 1 as domestic. It ended up getting blank. Thanks for your response. Feels relieving when you know you are not the only one .

Do we report this in Bugzilla or has this been reported before and classified as WONTFIX. As far as I know, I havent seen anythin as such, but I may be wrong.

well like i said it was an old phone i had the issue with so its not unique to the n900 (although it was probably still a nokia), and i wouldn't hold out too much hope for a bugfix for this one in a million bug on a largely unsupported device, but it is easily documented and reproducable so if you wish to try feel free.

have you also tried putting one or two random numbers at the end of each contact number? cant say for sure about the phone system where you are, but any extra numbers after a working number are usually ignored by the telephone system, but possibly not by the phonebook.

The Following User Says Thank You to festivalnut For This Useful Post:
I faced similer problem, and i am sure phone numbers are parsed from right to left. thanks to our STC company they allowed us to have two identical cellphone numbers one starting with 055xxxxxxxxx one starting with 050xxxxxxxxx

The Following User Says Thank You to kingofsorrow For This Useful Post:
My God, You are actually right. I tried thi on my old Nokia N95 and damn. Its like you said, no use in raising a bug for this as this looks like a common Dialer problem.

Also I typed additional characters at the end. It called the desired number without any issues but failed to show the number. Seems like the dialer does its own thing :P.

Well, thanks a lot for your assistance. I guess one of them will have to get their number changed :P

Originally Posted by kingofsorrow View Post
I faced similer problem, and i am sure phone numbers are parsed from right to left. thanks to our STC company they allowed us to have two identical cellphone numbers one starting with 055xxxxxxxxx one starting with 050xxxxxxxxx
This is the exact scenario my friend. Even my friend and his father use STC sims and have the same identical numbers. Only change being that one has a 5 and one has a 0, 055xxxxxxxxx 050xxxxxxxxx.

Originally Posted by fareed_xtreme View Post
My God, You are actually right. I tried thi on my old Nokia N95 and damn. Its like you said, no use in raising a bug for this as this looks like a common Dialer problem.

Also I typed additional characters at the end. It called the desired number without any issues but failed to show the number. Seems like the dialer does its own thing :P.

Well, thanks a lot for your assistance. I guess one of them will have to get their number changed :P
well in my case i just kept my home number saved, and remembered which digit was different if i had to call the friend at home. not an ideal solution but it did the job.

Originally Posted by fareed_xtreme View Post
This is the exact scenario my friend. Even my friend and his father use STC chips and have the same identical numbers. Only change being that one has a 5 and one has a 0, 055xxxxxxxxx 050xxxxxxxxx.

yes , when you call from home phone to a cell phonr you number is displayed as 03xxxxxxxxxx, and when you call from the exact same home phone but using prepaid card the number is changing lets say yyxxxxxxxxx, yet ur mobile identifies the number and gives you the contact name you are saving for 03xxxxxxxxx.

i think this is a problem with all phones as ive had this problem with all phones ive had... i used to have two numbers
0313xxxxxxx
0333xxxxxxx
ending was the same
they appered under the same name if someone phoned me

Tags
bada rox