Notices

I want to play files off my Windows 7 server using the default media player. I have configured WiFi and given my N900 a static IP. It works! To a point.

Files in my Public folder in Windows are shared and show up fine. But I do not use that folder for storing audio, rather a separate 1TB drive. I have followed the usual protocol to share that drive. In brief: from "Properties" choose "Advanced Sharing", share it out as "M" and be sure "Permissions" are set so "Everyone" can read.

In the "Network and Sharing Centre", "network discovery" and "file and printer sharing" are "On". "Password Protection" is "Off". I even ensured the device is visible and unrestricted in "Choose media streaming options".

No go. And so, I wonder if the N900 media player itself is at fault? Do I have other options? Are there hidden settings I should consider?

The Following User Says Thank You to rparmar For This Useful Post:
Do you see the shared drive in your windows file manager (in the WORKGROUP)? Do you see the shared drive in a nokia file manager?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gryllida For This Useful Post:
I am a complete newb to sharing, so bear with me in case I write something stupid!

In Windows file manager, on the file server itself, I look under Network and see the name of my computer. Under that are actually not one but two "shares" (I assume that is what they are) named "m" and "my music". Looking inside these reveals the entire tree I have shared.

On my N900 in the default file manager I have two choices: "Nokia N900" and "Shared media". Under the second is the name of my server. Under that is a list of folders: "Music", "Pictures", "Playlists", Videos". Under "Music" is a whole bunch of different ways of viewing the contents (I assume). The only file here is the one in my Public area on the server. Nothing else shows up.

Let me know if you have other questions.

The Following User Says Thank You to rparmar For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by rparmar View Post
I want to play files off my Windows 7 server using the default media player. I have configured WiFi and given my N900 a static IP. It works! To a point.

Files in my Public folder in Windows are shared and show up fine. But I do not use that folder for storing audio, rather a separate 1TB drive. I have followed the usual protocol to share that drive. In brief: from "Properties" choose "Advanced Sharing", share it out as "M" and be sure "Permissions" are set so "Everyone" can read.

In the "Network and Sharing Centre", "network discovery" and "file and printer sharing" are "On". "Password Protection" is "Off". I even ensured the device is visible and unrestricted in "Choose media streaming options".

No go. And so, I wonder if the N900 media player itself is at fault? Do I have other options? Are there hidden settings I should consider?
As a workaround, you can try making a symlink from one of the default music libraries to your drive.
Code:
mklink
Another way would be to just add your drive to the Music library itself. Windows allows multiple folders to be added. It creates a virtual view of the folders all as one.

Right click your music library and add your location from the drive.

The Following User Says Thank You to jackburton For This Useful Post:

Tags
maemo 5, windows 7