My N900 has been having charge issues for a while now, and currenly is not working at all. My phone, luckily, is still under warranty so I want to send it back in. Because of silly policies in place they can not guarantee sending back my phone without having reinstalled everything. Sadly, I lost my back-ups.

I'm not completely a tech-noob, I know my IT and basic hardware stuff but electrics is not a strong point. So, I'm asking for your help for trying to get the files of it before sending it in.

Obviously bluetooth can be at help but the problem is it is really slow and when connected to it via Explorer I can not even get all the photo's from the camera to load.

Here's an overview of the 'issues' I'm facing:
1) USB port broken, meaning:
1a) No charging
1b) No data-cable
2) Bluetooth is working but really slow.

I could charge the battery by going to a shop and just recharging it there but the battery didn't last long enough..and even worse, now the battery is not properly connecting to the device. I have to put pressure hard on the back to start the device, and keep it there. Pretty much undoable for such a lenghty back-up.

Obviously I didn't have a Micro-SD card in place.

So, what are my other options? Let's try not to have to engineer the thing myself, just fairly simple, if needed costly, options to get my back-ups of the device.

I should also have back-ups in place on the phone itself of when I was updating to PR1.3 (I'm not sure where that it stored, though?) and if that is accessible via Bluetooth.

Last edited by MatthiasL; 2011-04-04 at 17:48. Reason: proofread

Install a program called wizardmounter. Mount a windows share over wifi. Copy your data to the share.

Best I can think of. Or you could try scp

Oh and Buy and external charger and some tape to tape down the back.

What the heck did you do to the phone to cause that much damage?
Agro ... : |*****-----] Relic(s) : G1, N900

The Following User Says Thank You to Bratag For This Useful Post:
Honestly, I didn't do anything. I'm really careful about my phone and the battery connector thing is new, it might have been because of me fiddling with trying to get the charger to work.

I saw threads/sticky about other people having issues with the usb-port though so first assumed it was that.

Now the connector is playing up I realised it might as well been the battery the whole time, just the fiddling getting it the 'pressure' it needed.

Posts: 35 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Singapore
you can borrow a micro sd card from a frnd put it in the slot and den copy all data there and then copy to ur pc....or u can buy one ...as it might come handy in future as well....good luck this is the simplest solution i can think of right now...

The Following User Says Thank You to naveed5700 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by MatthiasL View Post
Honestly, I didn't do anything. I'm really careful about my phone and the battery connector thing is new, it might have been because of me fiddling with trying to get the charger to work.

I saw threads/sticky about other people having issues with the usb-port though so first assumed it was that.

Now the connector is playing up I realised it might as well been the battery the whole time, just the fiddling getting it the 'pressure' it needed.
Bummer. I vote for the microsd card solution as well if possible.
Agro ... : |*****-----] Relic(s) : G1, N900

Thanks naveed5700, thatīs a great idea which Iīm gonna try out now.

Now as in, with Bratagīs suggestion of using tape (I thought of that but considering the pressure I had to put on I didnīt believe it would work, but tried it nonetheless) which works. Not when putting it tight around the connector part, but at the bottom of the phone, where the headphones plug is, surprisingly..

So, off to buy a microsd card now. Thanks again to both of you!

PS By the way, external charger are REALLY expensive. Like half the price of the phone, is that normal??

um no, go to dealextreme.com...

The Following User Says Thank You to vi_ For This Useful Post:
Posts: 738 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ London
I got a cheap battery wall charger from ebay which works (but I don't use it that often, so no idea about relliability).
You could also backup your folders with openssh (on the phone) + filezilla (on a pc) and copy everything via sftp through wifi, but sd card is definitely the best solution (as you can use the built-in backup feature).

Yeah, that worked. Was interesting to get the cap on for the microSD card to be recognized with the tape being on there.

I used the regular back-up feature, as well as everything in the My Documents and Camera folder. Am I missing something?

@ vi_
I'm not very much into batteries and charging, could you recommend me a charger? Thanks for that site, it's awesome!

Tags
broken usb, n900 is perfect