They say 'you cant get everything'. So it's true in the case of Maemo/MeeGo destiny. Two of the greatest OSs ever made and I mean it, but thanks to corporate propaganda never saw the light of success.

The N900 lacked multi touch but had really cool apps on its own. The N9 has the most awesome UI ever thought off but didn't have a physical keyboard which allowed user functionality on any app, on any screen and any process.

But that was ok it was still linux right? We could still use N900 apps right? We would still have system directory access for internet browsers and email right? Well it was still Linux and that was it. Stringent security coding to keep the UX intact caused many awesome N900 apps to not be available for the N9. Mainstream target market caused many internal applications to not have access to system directory.

We yelled flash....and after ages we got flash with firefox..victory was ours...no wait its laggy and glitchy....shame on me, I should count my blessings that we got something, cause it was still an awesome phone with so many features. Sure you can't play h.264 properly, so what? Get handbrake and convert your files....it only takes you hours to convert big files.

Well since it wasn't so underground as my N900 but Nokia made it more mainstream didn't they? So where is my temple run, shazam, draw free, instagram, viber and Documents to go? Hell my Nokia N900 had Documents to go. Wait there is hope you know, Alien Dalvik, ACL and Icedrobot..........no wait legal issues, oems, no interest from Nokia.

I open up the APP store go to new releases and what do I see....apps that display celebrity pictures, web links......its saddening.

I will tell you the good things about the N9:
1. It has flash on firefox,
2. Apps like filebox that allows you to browse system files and directories. Send the files via email, bluetooth. View and open compressed files.
3. Firefox that used to allow you to access full websites and sytem directories (used to).
4. Awesome UX.

The only thing that I see is unique is the UX/UI. Guess what the competitors have the other features and more, the N900 had that and more.

Ladies and gentlemen after using the Nokia N9 for more than 6 months now I have come to the sad realization that my Nokia N9 has nothing more to offer me. I have no new apps, I cant tell my friends why my phone is better and more practical then their's anymore, neither can I share great times using common apps with them. My N900 gave me 2 years of excellent service the N9 couldn't last a year. I shudder when i look at the lame excuse for a UI that android phones have but they are more practical and useful in today's world I am afraid...so friends it has been a great ride but today I lay down my N9 and turn it off permanently (sigh).

You know we never wanted dual cores, quad cores, 10 inch displays blah blah blah.....we just wanted a successor to our N900 or a phone with linux and better apps...we got neither, so folks quit telling yourselves otherwise, denial is being weak.

Thank you board of directors for electing that clueless about phone CEO Elop, hope you and Microsoft are happy (that is if Microsoft doesn't abandon you or shut you down completely). Oh and thank you for taking money from me for buying a phone you didn't care about. But with sincerity thank you Maemo community, Fremantle and Harmattan developers and visionaries. Thank you to people like e-yes, Jalyst and gerbick. Oh and Jalyst let it go man the UI alone isn't enough to save this phone anymore.

Sayonara

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rafpac For This Useful Post:
Posts: 329 | Thanked: 422 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ derpton
welcome to the "other side"

Posts: 194 | Thanked: 127 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Manchester, UK
I have some sympathy for you on a number of the points you make.

I am still a little uncertain as the the central problem you have. When I read your post I began thinking you were talking from a developer's or hacker's perspective. For the N9, Inception would seem to have solved many of the early locked down issues.

From an end-user perspective, yes I agree. Surely there are other platforms that offer gazillions more apps. However, their app stores also have gazillions of apps that "display celebrity pictures, web links" so be careful as to which ecosystem you run to.

N900 was a hackers device. It was released in October 2009, right? It looked like a hackers device then; a big block and no mainstream marketing. Great for hackers, but no appeal to the real world.

The N9 was a compromise, a semi-consumer device that [should have been] mass marketed, but as we know, Nokia strategy changed. And in my own heart, I can't blame them for that, they were not in the same position that, say, Apple was when it first released the IPhone, Nokia couldn't start from the beginning again. Nokia is a mobile company, not computer company. So they went with WP. o.O'

The N9 still has huge appeal, and from what I see on these forums, there is still a significant amount of development and calaboration going on, which will make the 'normal' consumer able to enjoy the device for the typical lifetime of a smartphone; 18 to 24 months.

I guess it is horses for courses and really depends on what you want a smartphone for. 600,000 apps = iPhone. 500,000 apps, clitchy OS but cheaper and more open that iOS = Android.

Smart UI, elegant, elitest and great community = N9 and Maemo6/Meego.

(In my humble opinion)

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to jpfsn For This Useful Post:
Posts: 451 | Thanked: 424 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ England
Couldn't be happier with mine, albeit there are a lack of (decent) apps, and it is not quite as hackable as my previous N900, but it is serving me very well.

Heck, it has even introduced me into the world of Qt/C++, so bonus points for that.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jd4200 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
LOL Couldn't care less what other people use for mobiles. Couldn't care less about Nokias decision.

maemo5 fremantle and maemo6 harmattan still rocks.

I will not change them even if my friends holds a gun too my head.

Change phone because others says so is just plain stupid.

but anyway good luck with android or whatever your friends tell you to buy

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
why does it matter to tell your friends why your phone is better than theirs? Like who cares? But i guess you do so anyways, bye

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ynohtna For This Useful Post:
Posts: 528 | Thanked: 345 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ MLB.AU
To be expected in a high consumption, disposable society.
Enjoy getting poorer!

Posts: 640 | Thanked: 435 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ rajvoSa BA
rafpac is right, there's no apps, there's no tools, there's no...how to express...enthusiasm from users and developers...i will blame qt for all this apps that actually do nothing...and have ugly ui..:S
UI of n900 (maemo) is far much better than harmattan and as Chris (friend of mine) said, maemo just needed swipe...i was symbian freak since 2006. and when time came to get new phone, i got n97mini instead of n900...and guess what...every day i regret, why? because i saw a real power of linux, a device for ppl that don't care about fancy things...but about power under mask...
i don't really like harmattan ui, not at all, it is functional, but not quite handy with keyboard...except busybox part everything else don't really like hardware keyboard and don't really respond to it...so, n9 don't lacks anything.
if there will be maemo for n9, i would install it right now

My 2 N9's rock, and i can't imagine using anything else. Each to their own i guess!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dared For This Useful Post:
Posts: 22 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Wisconsin
Really, why did you buy this phone? Do research and don't post an ignorant thread in a forum. If you wanted new apps all the time don't buy a one phone platform, I'm sorry but if you want new app all the time and you buy a n9, your kind of an idiot.

Who cares what your friends think, if you do ask to see their multitasking, their social integration, their always on screen saver that you can hack and tweak, their clock app, their emulator apps, their way to close apps, their UI/UX. Everyone that sees my phone is amazed, but that not why I have my phone. I am secure in my choice of what I buy for me, not them. If you are worried about what people think go buy an iphone, lace armstrong braclet, smoke a american spirit and think you are a good person.

The n9 isn't a successor to the n900. When nokia had the Feb 11th announcement in the budget there was a sliver for "disruptive devices" That is what our n9 is. Its for nokia to learn from (kinda like the pureview). They had this n9 that wasn't going foward but lots of nice UI designs. So put it out, get your feedback and data and use that for either s40, or windows phone. We are beta testers, thats it. I am happy to be one.

Going back to apps, we have some great ones or good ones that get the job done. Do you really think instagram would put out a meego app, when they just now did android, no windows phone, no symbian, no blackberry. That would be stupid of them. Games we have emumaster, qneptunia is great for twitter, we have some nice facebook options. We have meecast other os's eat your heart out. We have more podcast options than symbian, more spotify options than symbian. We have more comic book reader clients than symbian. There might be some apps I would like but before I bought my n9 I made sure it had the apps that I needed to get by. It did so I bought it. I'm not expecting more new apps because I did my research before I put my money down. I was responsible for my decision so I wouldn't have to go on a forum and blame someone else for my buyers remorse. I suggest you do the same in the future.

Sorry for being a dick but sometimes you have to look in the mirror.

Last edited by derch; 2012-06-03 at 01:19.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to derch For This Useful Post:

Tags
disappointment, lack of apps, specc=ericsson, tizen is savior