Notices

Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
I have ported "alpine", as requested by a couple of people over here.

It's a terminal-based email client, I hear it's awesome from those who wanted it ported. Wikipedia says Linus Torvalds uses it. That's gotta mean something.

Version 2.00-maemo1 is currently in the Extras-Devel repository and seems to work, but apt-get can't install it so it has to be downloaded manually and installed with dpkg -i. I don't recommend downloading it just yet; version 2.00-maemo2 is on its way; in the autobuilder right now, and hopefully that will install correctly with apt-get (I'm hoping it's just a wrong section specification that prevents apt-get from downloading/installing it, which 2.00-maemo2 build fixes).

Last edited by Mentalist Traceur; 2013-03-28 at 19:10. Reason: Added screenshot. | Worded one statement more accurately. | edited "X-Term" to "CLI" in the title

The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post:
Hmm, so I just tried to install alpine version 2.00-maemo2 through FApMan and it downloaded right, installed, etc. I declare that a sufficient success.

Not quite sure what the issue is then, with me getting the apt-get error of "Handler silently failed" when trying to install from command-line, since obviously that app manager handled it just fine... *Shrug*. Anyone more savvy in the workings of apt who wishes to give any hints on why this might be happening is welcome to say something.

Meanwhile I put version 2.00-maemo3 into the auto builder. This will include an icon and a couple other tweaks debian/control. Then I'll look into the aforementioned optifying thing.

- Edit -
Version 2.00-maemo3 supposedly made it into the repository. It's night where I'm at so unless there's some horrible error I'm not touching it until tomorrow.

Last edited by Mentalist Traceur; 2011-07-03 at 03:30.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Mentalist Traceur View Post
I have ported "alpine", as requested by a couple of people over here.
Alpine for the Nokia Internet Tablets has been available for quite some time... but not in packaged form. You might want to look at this page for all the additional bits and mods necessary to get Alpine running smoothly.

http://home.mminternet.com/delaroca/

--denis

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to delaroca For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by delaroca View Post
Alpine for the Nokia Internet Tablets has been available for quite some time... but not in packaged form. You might want to look at this page for all the additional bits and mods necessary to get Alpine running smoothly.

http://home.mminternet.com/delaroca/

--denis
Yes, I'm aware it has existed - same with aircrack-ng, and quiet a few other tools - the whole point was that there seemed to be a sufficient desire to have it in the repositories too. Plus .deb packages in repositories are more convenient than remembering what site has what files/packages.

Right now the only noticeable problems for me are apt-get's "handler silently failed", and that the icon I just made last night shows up in HAM but not in FApMan. But as I've freely admitted in the thread where this started I don't actually have much experience using alpine so I don't know what's a bug and what's me not knowing what I'm doing. Is there any specific issues you're seeing in my port vs. the ports on that site, aside from the aforementioned packaging problems?

- Edit -
One thing that came from that though was that I took greater note of the versioning numbers. I see alpine is on version 2.02 as part of the 're-alpine' project. I presume people would rather have that version than 2.00?

Last edited by Mentalist Traceur; 2011-07-03 at 15:14. Reason: Dug up the re-alpine project

Put 2.00-maemo4 in the autobuilder. (2.00-maemo3 didn't update the changelog, but I think I figured out why so that's fixed. It also had the icon show up in HAM but not FAM which is less clear to me, but I saved the .png slightly differently and re-uuencode-ed it, so maybe that'll work for this version)

Anyway, at some point I'll do a version bump where this is optified, but until then, it installs from FAM (not sure about HAM - that thing's so slow I try not to touch it unless I absolutely have to), and I'm not hearing anyone say it doesn't work, so.... If you have extras-devel enabled, it's all yours. I'll push a version down to testing if I'm happy with the icon+optification and no one complains for a while after installing it.

- Edit -

I sat through HAM's slowness enough to install 2.00-maemo4 through it.

So both HAM AND FAM manage to install alpine - but "apt-get install alpine" fails. As does "apt-get install -s alpine" and "apt-get -d install alpine".

Also picture still doesn't show up in FApMan. Ughhh...

Last edited by Mentalist Traceur; 2011-07-03 at 18:57.

Posts: 64 | Thanked: 24 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Germany ...
Alpine does not support Offline mode - so its not realy usefull.

The Following User Says Thank You to michaelxy For This Useful Post:
Thread resurect time.

Originally Posted by michaelxy View Post
Alpine does not support Offline mode - so its not realy usefull.
Idk about that. What's useful varies by person, situation, and goal. Also, did you mean this version of alpine that I ported doesn't support offline version, or alpine as a whole doesn't?

As for everyone in general - anyone actually use alpine on their N900s? Should I bother putting effort into details like the icon only showing up in HAM but not FApMan? Should I still bother doing anything else with this package (like updating it to the slightly newer re-alpine source), or does no one actually use it?

Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
Hi Mentalist Traceur,

I've always used PINE since the early days of Linux. I've installed alpine on my N900 (not your version from extras-devel, but the one linked above) but haven't used it much, as I tend to be off-line.

I will try installing your version and using it from time to time, though for my mobile purposes Modest is just fine.

BTW, it's true (al)pine doesn't support offline mode, but the thing is that it shouldn't! It's a pure IMAP (and NNTP) client, so it needs to be on-line. Offline IMAP is almost a contradiction in terms anyway..

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to reinob For This Useful Post:
Posts: 64 | Thanked: 24 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Germany ...
or alpine as a whole doesn't?
Alpine itself does does not support offline Mode. I am using icedove via EasyDebian 4 bigger Mail-Accounts. There is a extra offline and Sync function.

The Following User Says Thank You to michaelxy For This Useful Post:
If you can, update it, cause it's one of rare-kind mail clients, that do "advertised" things in simplest possible way, and perform it well.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following User Says Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post: