Poll: Does your N800 have touchscreen sensivity issues?
Poll Options
Does your N800 have touchscreen sensivity issues?

I just keep getting referred back to the email support and the website since they are supposed to be "handling it" since I have an issue ID.

Guess there's really nothing to do then. Oh well, hope that none of y'all have the same experience I've had. Guess there's not much point to my continuing to drop by here since I don't have an N800 anymore.

Good luck all...

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Ewan, don't give up yet! Keep badgering them! This should not and cannot be allowed to happen!

Man, this experience is really irritating the crap out of me...

Originally Posted by neiljerram View Post
Well I don't have a fixed screen yet, but the guys in the service centre were familiar with the N800, and seemed confident that all that was needed was to replace the screen component. They don't yet have this component for the N800 right there, so they gave me a choice between sending my N800 off for repair - taking one to two weeks - or waiting until they get the replacement components in the shop. Since my N800 is still far from unusable, I chose the latter.

They couldn't give me a precise timescale for when the components would be available, but they seemed confident that it would be pretty soon.

Any comments? Is that consistent with others' experiences?
I took my device to the Nokia store in Helsinki on Monday, got it back on Friday the same week, exactly as estimated (with a replaced screen). This is a huge improvement to my experiences with the 770 repairs -- several weeks without communication and no time estimates.

The only thing I can complain about was the queue: I'd have thought it would be stupid to make people with broken phones crowd and get pissed off in a "flagship store"...

Posts: 10 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Helsinki, Finland
My N800 is going to service point once again as soon as I have time to go to Helsinki downtown. A bit more than week after the first repair the touchscreen sensitivity (or its lack) is slowly reaching the level from before repair. It's progressing even when the device is left unused. I was not using it for about three last days. It was just laying on but untouched for three days and now I can see that screen behaves noticeably worse. At the very right edge of the screen I again have to push hard to drag a slider and move it. Is this really a touchscreen issue or some other part of the device making touchscreen damage?

Originally Posted by manux View Post
Is this really a touchscreen issue or some other part of the device making touchscreen damage?
As has been suggested previously, there are indications that in some cases the GPU itself may be corrupting the touchscreen. That would explain the situations where an LCD is replaced and the problem recurs.

Posts: 12 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Eureka, Montana
No touchscreen issue, but tons of other problems. Contact import does not appear to work. The Opera browser is not compatible with Google documents. The CKJ fix for Chinese characters does not have an installer. The PDF documentation is devoid of procedures and valuable information. There's no visible method to exit to the OS for command line work.

griz, some of these are widely-discussed issues with explanations and work-arounds heavily discussed in this forum. For example, you'll need to install an xterm client such as osso-xterm for the latter issue. A search can turn up the other discussions.

Nokia has not answered any of my emails since I filled out the questionnaire, so it's obvious that they are not willing to take any responsibility for what has happened, or to even be honest and tell me that they aren't going to make things right.

So I'm faced, again, with either filing some type of legal action, or writing the cost of the unit off. Can I assume those of you who keep pushing me to keep pushing Nokia will agree that it's pretty pointless at this juncture?

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
I would phone someone - anyone - and get put through to the right person at Nokia. It's easy to ignore emails, it's more difficult to ignore a phone call. I think legal action is a hammer to crack a nut and I'm sure you must be able to contact someone at Nokia that will accept responsibility for what has happened. I know when I sent my N800 in for repair I had no contact details other than the generic "Nokia Helpline" email address and by hook or by crook I managed to track down the phone number for the group within Nokia responsible for my repair (I'm in the UK so can't help you I'm afraid). Did you receive any paperwork with with phone numbers in the envelope that should have contained your N800?

Last edited by Milhouse; 2007-05-09 at 01:29.

Same here, before I found this forum I filled out the form "E-Mail service" on Nokia.de. No one has answered yet. I own two N800 and both have touch screen issues.