Posts: 232 | Thanked: 44 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Austria, Amstetten
is there UMTS or GRPS support in mer??

Originally Posted by b666m View Post
easy debian runs "inside" of maemo.
so you need resources for both OS.

mer runs on its own and can use 100% of the resources.

so i would think that mer is noticable faster than easy debian. (:
Actually... in the case of easy debian it isn't handling the hardware.. Maemo is - and it's optimized for it.

Whereas with Mer.. debian is handling the hardware and is *not* optimized for it. Thus, you're going to get better battery life from easy debian than with Mer. Some things may even be faster... especially if you run the software through Maemo's interface and not have the full blown LXDE running atop Maemo.

Just my $0.02.
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

The Following User Says Thank You to fatalsaint For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by OptX View Post
apt-get update
apt-get --no-install-recommends install lxde libgtkstylus onboard
echo "exec startlxde" >> ~/.xinitrc

How is this done ?
I cant get the onscreen keyboard to work. I see it, i can type. but it does not show up in terminal.
On the N900 keyboard i can not find a button for the "-"
Word, help us out? Anyone? I just don't see how it would be possible. Damn onscreen keyboard won't enter it for me and no keys have it. I figured this whole dual boot install thing out but i can't get this? what gives

Originally Posted by scottprotege View Post
Word, help us out? Anyone? I just don't see how it would be possible. Damn onscreen keyboard won't enter it for me and no keys have it. I figured this whole dual boot install thing out but i can't get this? what gives
Fn + F = -

The Following User Says Thank You to AndrewG For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,090 | Thanked: 476 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Ingolstadt, Germany
Originally Posted by fatalsaint View Post
Actually... in the case of easy debian it isn't handling the hardware.. Maemo is - and it's optimized for it.
if i look at the hardware-power and the device's performance... mhm... i wouldn't think that maemo is optimized in many ways ^^

Whereas with Mer.. debian is handling the hardware and is *not* optimized for it.
the guys behind mer surely have the knowledge to make their code running well on a foreign device.

Thus, you're going to get better battery life from easy debian than with Mer. Some things may even be faster... especially if you run the software through Maemo's interface and not have the full blown LXDE running atop Maemo.
the pain with the battery life on the n900... mhm... many threads are complaining about that - even with default settings and without any devel/testing-apps... but this is another topic ^^

but you might be right, that some apps will run faster in easy debian than in mer and vice versa when trying other apps.

Posts: 293 | Thanked: 206 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germnay
Where is that onscreen keyboard from the youtube vid ? Was that from a previous version ?
I hope that we soon see the new mer version. It looks damn fast.

Mer 0.17 with 3D acceleration on N900

Posts: 232 | Thanked: 44 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Austria, Amstetten
mer looks like maemo fremantle... what would i gain when i´m using mer?? wht is better on mer than on fremanlte??

Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
Fn + F = -

dude are you serious? you think i wrote that whole tutorial and dont know how to get a hyphen? the prob is that once you get into mer the keyboard mapping is out the window, letters only. no numbers, no characters, and NO way of typing apt-get in the terminal window

Probably need a custom .Xmodmap file? Maybe try an old N810 one around these forums.. dunno if the keyboard mapping is the same though.

For example.
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

Originally Posted by scottprotege View Post
dude are you serious? you think i wrote that whole tutorial and dont know how to get a hyphen? the prob is that once you get into mer the keyboard mapping is out the window, letters only. no numbers, no characters, and NO way of typing apt-get in the terminal window
how about if you try to copy it from somewhere and then plaste it?

I did not try it myself yet .. but If you can add it a text file and then paste it in your SD card and then access it to copy it from there ..

If you have Internet Access.. you could try to copy it from somewhere ,,