Hi Guy,

I ordered a n810 yesterday. I am surfing some blogs and forums to find whats best for my coming Nokia n810. I have found out that many geeks are trying to run Ubuntu or Android on n810. Why do we need Ubuntu/Android on Maemo enabled n810? Are Ubuntu/Android better OS than Maemo?

Thanks.
SK

You don't need those. It's really just about seeing if the stuff can be made to run on the tablet.

Maemo will do you just fine, so long as you have reasonable expectations.

Posts: 900 | Thanked: 273 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Fresno CA USA
IMHO because we can. Maemo is taylored to the tablet, Android is for a cell or VOIP phone, and Ubuntu is perhaps more than the tablet can handle. Learn the tablet with Maemo before trying other things.
Personal Blog -- 3 Joe's Blog

N810 -- 5.2010.33-1

Got it. Does the tablet comes with OS cd (or can be downloaded from net), in case you messed up your tablet. Can you format your tablet and install other OS just like your PC?

Thanks,
SK

Last edited by sudhirkhanger; 2009-02-02 at 03:02.

You can reflash the OS from a downloadable image. No CD is provided. At one time OS upgrades were maual by flashing. The current version will do that under the control of the Application Manager while connected to the Internet.

N810 -- 5.2010.33-1

Thank you. I am a noob. Sorry!! what does that reflashing means?

Thanks,
SK.

It's basically reformatting the device and reinstalling the OS.

Originally Posted by sudhirkhanger View Post
Thank you. I am a noob. Sorry!! what does that reflashing means?

Thanks,
SK.

Ok!! Thank you.

In this case flashing refers taking control from the running OS to totally erase the syetm before replacing it. A running OS can't easily rewite itself.

N810 -- 5.2010.33-1

Posts: 607 | Thanked: 296 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Finland
There are many reasons to use Ubuntu or Android. Android is in really good state and some people want to use it. It has pretty good webkit browser for example.

Ubuntu with full gnome desktop is way too heavy for day-to-day use on tablet, but it provides huge bunch or useful apps. And Gnome can be replaced by LXDE or other lightweight desktop-environment.

If you are interested in using other operating systems along maemo i suggest Mer.
Mer is using Ubuntu Jaunty as a thin base combined with the open-source elements of Maemo.

So, with mer you can use most of the maemo-stuff and most of the Ubuntu stuff at the same time. But it's on early stage, so it's best to just stay with maemo for now.

Anyway i _really_ think all these operating systems are NOT just because people wanna see if they can be run on tablets. no, that isn't true. Some people might think they make tablets powerful, and not just small embedded devices.