got mine a couple of days ago. Seems great so far, Still learning. One issue though I hope someone can help with:
On the first day (of Christmas) I plugged into the XP PC to get some tunes and pics across. No problem what so ever. later on that day a notification about an update popped up. I pressed yes. The next day the Pc wont recognise the USB device when I plug it in. I tried all sorts last night. Installing Kies, laughing then uninstalling it, installing samsung usb driversm adb drivers etc. It recognises it as a samsung mobile when in debug mode but wont find the mass storage and can't find something called cdc adc driver. When not in debig mode the phone knows something is happening and will say MTP connected. My only assumption is that the update screwed it all up. It's the only real problem I am having with it. Without the drivers connecting I wont be able to root the device, which I only really want to do for the sake of a few aps.

Well I suppose I better provide an update in case anyone else is having the same problem. Snuck my wife's laptop when she wasn't looking and tried it on that. Had to install all the android sdk stuff, the java stuff, and the kies thing eventually after a few hours of waiting it worked. I had to leave it plugged in for ages before it would install all the drivers it needed BUT it did eventually work. I think the problem with the desktop is that it's too old (nearly 10 years now). The laptop isn't a whole lot newer but it is.
So I would think if you have a newish machine you will (eventually) be alright, but saying that I did find LOADS of people over the net complaining their samsung this or that wont work on their PC. Still working away at trying to get it to work again on the desktop but I'm giving up hope.

The weird thing is before the 'update' it just worked right away and was fine. Now it seems to want to use this MTP protocol thing to connect and there doesn't seem to be a way around it. I did manage to root the device through the laptop and that was what I wanted to do. For file transfers it works over the home network via wifi and connects to the Pc and kies ok. So as a last resort, if anyone is still trying to connect and only wants to transfer files to/from PC-Phone, then wifi over the home network will work. Don;t know if that is actually of any help, but there it is just in case.

Posts: 218 | Thanked: 59 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ spain
I'm in too.

Loving the surf table. Many, many apps to run.

I'm enjoiying the device. So diferent to N900. However IMHO, maemo is a full operating system, android is just an app launcher.

For now I'm so lost... I would root the device but I'm unable even to get from where to start.

Regards.

Originally Posted by Straycat View Post
I'm in too.

Loving the surf table. Many, many apps to run.

I'm enjoiying the device. So diferent to N900. However IMHO, maemo is a full operating system, android is just an app launcher.

For now I'm so lost... I would root the device but I'm unable even to get from where to start.

Regards.

Here is the instructions that worked on the laptop:
It's copied straight from the xda developers site. The final step you just run that exe file, connect the phone in developer mode and press any key and it does all the work. the hard part is getting to that stage by downloading all the various bits and pieces ( you may have some already). Rooting doesn't wipe anything it just enables access, so you won't lose anything.

PS- just out of interest have you connected it to a computer yet? Also has it asked you to update once you did?

"For you noobs with a clean system (that means me!), get the following files:
Note I run a 64 bit windows box, get the 32 bit variants if necessary.

You need:
1) Latest version of Kies

www.samsung.com/ca/kies/index.html
download file for me was: Kies_2.0.3.11082_152_4.exe

2) Java:
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/ja...ads/index.html
Click on jdk and download. File for me: jdk-7u1-windows-x64.exe

3) android sdk:
developer.android.com/sdk/index.html
My file was: installer_r15-windows.exe

4) zergrush root script
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1312859

grab the zip file in that page i.e.
DooMLoRD_v1_UNROOTING.zip

and unzip it to your windows box.

Install 1, 2, 3 in that order.
Find the SDK Manager program in your sdk install directory, double click it, and download/update 'Android SDK Platform Tools'.
Note you can't run the sdk manager program from the command prompt, or it'll complain that directories are being locked.

Now follow the instructions on the zergrush page, i.e. do the 'before you begin' stuff.

Go to the directory where you unzipped the doomlord zip file, run the runme script from a command prompt,and that's it.

To test, download terminal monitor, run it, and do a 'su' then 'id' and see if it says you are root or not.

Good luck!

- Frank"

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kyllerbuzcut For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by coderedcomputing View Post
Damn, yeah strong upvote to getting over on xda-dev, they are doing some nice stuff over there... check out this video on what the Note can do, and there is a tutorial on how to setup the 3d menus etc:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JyfrD4VrHY
Awesome Video do you know where i can find the tutorial on how to set up the 3d ?? Thanks

Video playback have any you people watched any movies on your galaxy note ??? As the black levels are choppy real bad....

i watched sucker punch on the note its a 3.12 gig file 1920x800 the dark levels are awful its all distorted and choppy and grey tint when its suppose to be jet black.........

Second movie was Tekken.Blood.Vengeance.2011 file size 2.18gig 1280x720 and i got the same choppy distorted black levels...

i hope Samsung will be issuing a firmware update as the HD-OLED display is having a tough time coping with lower resolutions videos.. Also YouTube videos don't look that good on the note compared to my Galaxy S they are so sharp and crisp but on the note they are fuzzy ???

Last edited by TH3ORY; 2011-12-19 at 23:59.

Videos have seemed fine to me so far, but I've not thrown too much at it yet.

Has anyone managed to link an n900 to the note yet and make it control it via bluetooth? For instance you have probably seen all the videos where you plug a note into a TV and use a bluetooth controller to play games etc on it. Is that possible to use the n900 to do that? Just an idea

Posts: 209 | Thanked: 44 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Austria
Ich hab mir nun "Usage Timelines Free" runtergeladen. Das ist eine Art Taskmanager.
Ich sehe da gezählte 55! Prozesse die im Hintergrund laufen. Wenn ich mir die Details dieser Prozesse ansehe haben 3/4 davon Rechte wie "Anrufstatistik- und ID lesen, vollständiger Netzwerkzugriff, READ.TASKS, WRITE.TASKS, benutzerdefiniertes Wörterbuch lesen, Internetverlauf und Lesezeichen lesen, SMS-Nachrichten lesen/empfangen/ändern/senden, genauen Standort bestimmen, NFC-Steuereung, Inhalt des USB-Speichers ändern/löschen, Audio und Video aufnehmen, ausgeführte Anwendungen abrufen, Bluetooth Verwaltung, Dateisysteme verbinden und trennen, Einstellungen für Name des Zugangspunkts schreiben, externen Speicher formatieren, globale Systemeinstellungen ändern, Netzwerkverbindung ändern, Schlafmodus verhindern, Tastensperre deaktivieren, UI-Einstellungen ändern, WLAN Status ändern..." Ich kann viele Prozesse, von denen ich mir sicher bin dass ich sie nicht brauche, nicht beenden. Sie starten sich wieder von selbst neu. Habe ich die Kontrolle über mein Handy oder Google?

Das ist aber nur ein kleiner Auszug aus den Apps die diese Berechtigungen von Haus aus haben. Was soll denn das bitte!?

Sogar das UKW-Radio hat die Berechtigung Anrufstatistik- und ID zu lesen. Wozu!?

Seit drei Tagen habe ich das Note und es ist auch mein erstes und letztes Android Telefon.

Übermorgen werde ich es zurückschicken und zu meinem vorhergehenden Nokia N900 wechseln.

Last edited by Mr. Incredible; 2011-12-25 at 13:05.

Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
Bitte schreiben Sie in englischer Sprache in diesem Forum, wenn du kannst.

[Google translation]

Generell gibt es eine Erklärung für all diese Erlaubnis, meist wollen sie Ihnen lokalisierte Werbung.
Es gibt auch Anwendungen, die die Berechtigungen für ausgewählte Anwendungen schneiden, wenn Sie es wünschen können.
Nicht zu früh aufgeben, hat die Galaxy Hinweis eine erstaunliche Hardware und Android Horrorgeschichten sind meist von der Konkurrenz FUD. Zur Erhöhung Ihrer Sicherheit können Sie install "Lookout", die neu installierte Anwendungen für Malware-Scans. Ich habe noch eine wenn auch zu finden.

Fühlen Sie sich frei, um neue nützliche Anwendungen aus meiner eigenen öffentlichen Liste zu erkunden: http://www.appbrain.com/user/debernardis/gt-n7000

[/Google translation]

Generally there is an explanation to all these permission; mostly they want to send you localized advertisements.
There are also applications which allow to cut the permissions to selected applications, if you wish.
Don't give up too early, the Galaxy Note has an amazing hardware, and Android horror stories are usually FUD from competitors. To increase your security, you could install "Lookout" which scans newly installed applications for malwares. I have still to find one though.

Feel free to explore new useful applications from my own public list: http://www.appbrain.com/user/debernardis/gt-n7000

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to debernardis For This Useful Post:
Posts: 21 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Turin, Italy
I believed nothing currently on the market could make me wanna give up my n900, i didn't consider the note a worthy opponent but after Nokia changed my n900 with a e7 for the second time i felt i had no option but to change so i opted to go for the note and i didn't expect such but i must say this really amazes me and I've been using it for more then a week now, battery life is really good it actually lasts a full day playing with it and using it as a phone and navigation device, so a full day with wifi and gps on, lots of free apps and games, speaker is as bad as for n900 but i find earphone quality really good, the big screen definetly makes up for no hardware keyboard, i feel this way is much better as i can type almost as fast as on n900 and I'm only using one hand
Bottom line i feel the note is definetly a step in the right direction with great software support and i don't miss the n900 or Nokia one bit

Tags
android, galaxy note