Originally Posted by Nathraiben View Post
Btw, do you need any more information from me? Most of it can be pulled from the first post of the thread I linked to in the Wiki - but please let me know if anything is missing!

(Don't bother with the PayPal info - looking at the other entries you won't need that from me )
Haha.. somebody pm'd me earlier saying something similar about their apps chances against ApMeFo It definitely has it's admirers

Yes please send me more stuff anyway, basically it's a pain in the rump trying to salvage bits and pieces together of apps you dont know. Especially when you're trying to cover everything. Basically what Id love from everyone is something like this:

App name:
Author:
Brief description:
Screenshot(s):
Features/work to be judged:
Package name and where to find the app:
Maemo.org thread or garage thread (if exists)

A lot of what i got was "I'm entering "1000 Cottage Cheese Recipies" into the contest. My paypal is pottedcheeselover@cheesetime.c.." and all the other stuff missing. So Im hoking around threads trying to fill in some gaps cos most normal people on our side of the planet are asleep and wont get my reply for more info until tomorrow earliest anyway.

Unless someone has kindly given me all the info, what I plan to do is write a little something for the entry similar to above layout to cover the basics, and then start the poll thread, Then I'll give each author 24 hours to review what Ive written and change it. To make sure Ive represented their app correctly and to help users judge it correctly.

Cybot950 - Control a robot with your N9/N950
SMSPetFeeder - Build a Bluetooth/SMS dog feeder with Qt, N950, and arduino
Nerf950 - Use your N9/N950 to fire a Nerf gun

Last edited by kojacker; 2010-07-21 at 23:38.

Tick tick boom!! Shake the room!! 12 GMT and the competition entry is officially closed!!

Put down that mouse, missus, and don't be touching that participant's list - you're too late!!

It's time for some sleep, because the morning comes early with the arrival of the first two gladiators into the ring.. the "Desktop" and "Location & Navigation" categories!!

Posts: 267 | Thanked: 408 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Austria
Hehe - I'd say a competition where the contestants are admiring each other hints on quite a healthy community.

And sorry - didn't think about how much work it must be to get all the information together with so many entries! Talking about programmers out of touch with the real world, eh?

So here's my information:

App name: ApMeFo - TMO Thread (announcements, feedback and requests)
Author: Nathraiben
Brief description: GUI-based approach for creating folders in the application menu. Create folders, assign them an icon and move your applications from the main menu into your custom folders (in customisable order).
Features/work to be judged: Not sure what should be posted here?
Package name and where to find the app: apmefo
Screenshot(s):

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nathraiben For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by helihyv View Post
OK then, I edited wiki to add URPO and KitchenAlert in the beginner contest
Outch, I just remembered I had ported a game I made for desktop for N900 in scratchbox before I even got the device. So, strictly taken, that was my first N900 app. Never released anywhere it though (for any platform). I had forgotten all about it...

I
Originally Posted by kojacker View Post
Put down that mouse, missus, and don't be touching that participant's list - you're too late!!

It's time for some sleep, because the morning comes early with the arrival of the first two gladiators into the ring.. the "Desktop" and "Location & Navigation" categories!!
I wouldn't dare to edit the list myself then...

Kojacker, could you leave KitchenAlert and URPO out of the beginner's contest, (unless only previously released apps count as previous programming experience on N900)?

Edit:
I'm starting to realize that, if "hello world" app's are more than welcome to this competition, perhaps I should have counted the my 'picked up from a programming book' python script (of which I printed several copies while testing URPO ) and stuff like that as previous apps on N900. I just didn't think them as apps...

Perhaps those arranging possible next comp could learn from this: make very clear rules so fools like me would not cause a mess

Last edited by helihyv; 2010-07-22 at 05:41.

Originally Posted by helihyv View Post
Outch, I just remembered I had ported a game I made for desktop for N900 in scratchbox before I even got the device. So, strictly taken, that was my first N900 app. Never released anywhere it though (for any platform). I had forgotten all about it...

Kojacker, could you leave KitchenAlert and URPO out of the beginner's contest, (unless only previously released apps count as previous programming experience on N900)?
Heli, the rules states that "entries to the beginners competition must be the authors first released coding project(s) for the N900, and must have been first released between the competition start and end dates." So porting over an application to the testing environment on your machine, which wasnt released, doesn't exclude you automatically. Im sure others will have created a "Hello World" at one point too before going onto their beginner entry.. you cant just start writing applications, you have to learn the basics somewhere

So Im going to leave the "Y" in there, but if you feel you would prefer to remove your entries from the beginners comp just PM me and let me know.

Last edited by kojacker; 2010-07-22 at 05:50.

The Following User Says Thank You to kojacker For This Useful Post:
So Im going to leave the "Y" in there, but if you feel you would prefer to remove your entries from the beginners comp just PM me and let me know.
I vote for only leaving the Y there when helihyv bribes you by releasing the game, too!

The Following User Says Thank You to Nathraiben For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,296 | Thanked: 1,773 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Budapest, Hungary
A lot of what i got was "I'm entering "1000 Cottage Cheese Recipies" into the contest. My paypal is pottedcheeselover@cheesetime.c.." and all the other stuff missing. So Im hoking around threads trying to fill in some gaps cos most normal people on our side of the planet are asleep and wont get my reply for more info until tomorrow earliest anyway.

Unless someone has kindly given me all the info, what I plan to do is write a little something for the entry similar to above layout to cover the basics, and then start the poll thread, Then I'll give each author 24 hours to review what Ive written and change it. To make sure Ive represented their app correctly and to help users judge it correctly.
Okay then!
I'll provide you with the required details.
If you need anything more about the app, let me know!

App name: Sticky Notes
Author: Timur Kristóf (Venemo)
Screenshot:

(More in the maemo.org thread, first post.)
Features/work to be judged:
All of the key features mentioned here, eg. the ability to have multiple notes widgets on the desktop, plus the "implemented features" section in the maemo.org thread, most of which were feature requests.
Package name and where to find the app:
Maemo.org thread: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=57049
Brief description:
Intended to be the ultimate notes widget for the N900, Sticky Notes lets you create multiple notes on your desktop.
The first priority of Sticky Notes is to provide a finger-friendly user interface to make it a joy to use it for all users.
Sticky Notes is the first widget that offers users to create more than one instance of it on Maemo 5. They all come with the option to select different background colours, foreground colours, fonts, and you can even set the transparency level of each note.
Sticky Notes comes with options to format text inside your notes with a small toolbar that goes away when you don't need it (thus making more room for the notes). It also supports popular key shortcuts for formatting.

Last edited by Venemo; 2010-07-22 at 06:30.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Venemo For This Useful Post:
Thanks Venemo! Could you have found me a smaller screenshot..?

Guys the desktop thread is live, please check your individual projects and make sure everything is ok. We got 24 hours for changes/fixing all the mistakes I made

Ive still got to do Queen Beecon Widget.. have you seen the change log on that thing?

fcrochik, you sent me some good stuff last night but I didn't get around to adding it in yet, so to start off I've gone with what I already had. I'll update at work with your new info throughout the day while the boss isnt looking

Last edited by kojacker; 2010-07-22 at 07:24.

Ive still got to do Queen Beecon Widget.. have you seen the change log on that thing?
That's what I was talking about - that one will get 99.9% of all votes.

The Following User Says Thank You to Nathraiben For This Useful Post:
Heli, the rules states that "entries to the beginners competition must be the authors first released coding project(s) for the N900, and must have been first released between the competition start and end dates." .
Oops, sorry, sooo stupid of me not to check the rules from wiki first...

Originally Posted by Nathraiben View Post
I vote for only leaving the Y there when helihyv bribes you by releasing the game, too!

It could be workable to be actually playable on N900... It's keyboard controlled, though. Perhaps someday...